PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo 1.4RC1 + Seq = odd problems ?

Kenia
10-03-2002, 04:00 PM
Anyone have succesfully gotten the above combination to work ?

I installed gentoo without a hitch, compiled for hours, compiled Seq aswell with no errrors, and Seq starts up and then locks.

Seq doesnt allways lockup tho, sometimes its decodes fast as lighting, then i can zone a few times and it locks up again.
Other occasions are, everything works fine, then it freezes for a few seconds like 5 to 30 sec, then continues to work.

Also, it doesnt really lock up, it just tries to decode i guess, i mean, a few times it happend that it decodes a zone i passed 10-30 min before. Another wierd thing, last night when i went to sleep, i turned of the winbox as usuall, and then like 1 hour after Seq suddenly started of the alarm.. tadaa, it had decoded the zone i logged in.

I started out thinking it was a hardware error of some sort for starters, but now i replaced mother board, cpu's, memory, scsi ctrl, only thing missing now is nic, sound and video card.
ohh.. btw. The system only behaves like this when i run Seq.

Im using gcc3.2 and QT 3.0.5 btw.

Cryonic
10-03-2002, 05:45 PM
use top to find out what is eating up resources.

This could also be a QT 3.0.5 related issue. Try building 2.3.2 and building SEQ against that version and see if the issues go away.

Kenia
10-04-2002, 03:19 AM
I installed a RH8 today, got Seq installed and it ran with zero problems, rock stable for the 30 min or so i tested it.
It decoded every zone ligning fast on a celeron 500.

I re-installed my old board, and other hw, ran of my old gentoo inst. and viola. seq crashes or locksup with 99.9 cpu %. untill it finaly decodes, then it drops to 1-50%. Still weird behavier.

Gonna try RH8 on that hardware too. to bad if it works, i really liked Gentoo.

fryfrog
10-04-2002, 06:54 AM
you never really said anything about the system you were using it on, just that it didn't work.

were you compiling seq against qt-3.0.5 which comes with gentoo (and probably rh 8.0 too)? or did you compile qt-2.3.2? i use gentoo and it runs fine BUT i don't use the 1.4 rc1. seems fine to me, but sucked when i compiled against qt-3.0.5.

Dedpoet
10-04-2002, 07:13 AM
Sorry for the redundancy, but I'm going to agree with fryfrog on this one. I'm running Gentoo 1.2, with Gcc 3.1 swaped in at the bootstrap stage. I had the exact same problem you are describing with both Qt 3.0.4 and 3.0.5. When I built Qt 2.3.2 and rebuilt Seq against it, my problems went away. Give that a shot and see if it works for you. For the hour or two it takes to get that done, you can be using Gentoo instead of RH. You'll be grateful later.

Ratt
10-04-2002, 08:47 AM
I'm working on a Gentoo 1.4B1 load with QT 3.0.5 and GCC 3.2 ... no problems at all with SEQ.

three-p-o
10-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Ratt
I'm working on a Gentoo 1.4B1 load with QT 3.0.5 and GCC 3.2 ... no problems at all with SEQ.

Same setup. 1 difference. SEQ works fine when I'm using it.. But if I were to leave it runniong after I leave game it simetimes segfaults out when I'm browsing the web from another computer.

Cryonic
10-04-2002, 02:19 PM
It's probably locking onto those packets as possible EQ packets and then segfaulting when it hits data in them that isn't what it is expecting.

Same thing happens if I have kazaa or ftp or some other program in the background grabbing/sending stuff. Simple solution was to explicitly tell SEQ to only listen to traffic from that box and then turn on session handling. Allowed it to lock onto EQ and ignore the rest of the stuff :).

Kenia
10-07-2002, 01:09 AM
More wierd problems.

After i installed RH8, everything seemed to work for a brief, then something odd started to happen.
Same problems as described above, but now i can follow the text in the console, and it looks like its behind 2-5 min. everything is decoded tho, player names, mob names, spells etc. Its just 2-5 min. later than the EQ client.
Could it be the nic that cant grab the packets fast enuff ?

I havent had the time to compile a QT version 2.3.2 yet, so im still using QT 3.0.5.

Kenia
10-07-2002, 03:48 PM
hmm.. on a side note.. seems like the problem only appereas in zones with high trafic, fast zoning from zone to zone, and only in Luclin zones.. I't worked like a champ all evening in chardok, with multiple /q's out and such.. it decoded like within 10 sec everytime.

Any suggestions at all ?

fryfrog
10-08-2002, 07:49 AM
have you compiled and switched to qt-2.3.2? (you have to compile qt-2.3.2 with gcc3 (the standard on 1.4)), then re-compile seq pointing to qt-2.3.2?

Kenia
10-08-2002, 07:53 AM
Im compiling 2.3.2 as we speak, more or less. Started compiling before i went to work, so it should be ready when i get home.

Kenia
10-10-2002, 06:16 AM
problem solved. Installed RH8, compiled 2.3.2 and it works like a dream.
Alltho i miss Gentoo.. i somehow liked that a bit more.