PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Setup plz

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 11:51 AM
Hello,

I'm sorry for posting here if the solution to my problem is somewhere else on the board, although i have looked hard and can't find it.

I can't sniff the EQ packets on my EQ machine.. I have installed everything correctly, showEQ starts up fine, but TCPdump/seq won't get any packets, well i do get a couple of netbios-dgm udp packets what ever they are, but i'm guessing thats just something that it sends every so often to check network staus or somthing.

MY setup:-

ADSL
USB MODEM
|
|
WIN98 ICS
|
|
5Port 10/100
NWaySwitch------- ShowEQ/Linux
HUB
|
|
Win98
Everquest

the above setup works fine, linux can access the net. (theres also another pc connected to the hub, but its not involved in EQ :)

Now from reading this site, i have realized a Switch will not work.. ive tried putting sumfing at 10 into the hub but still not working.. IS there no solution to this?
Well i'm guessing theres not.. unfortunaly i have very little cash atm so i don't want to fork out for a router or anything... but i do have 2 spare Network cards ... think any1 can help me out with a setup pretty plz .. i was thinking of using the EQ pc to use the Linux PC to get on the net .. but i don't want an over complicated process when i want to play EQ on both PCs (linux is dual boot).

Is this gunna be possible or am i wasting my time? ive spent 2weeks trying to install seq and to sniff these damn packets. I must have installed linux like 10times.

OH yeah, my hub/switch has an uplink port, dunno if it can be utilized for this or not.

I was thinking maybe something like this (using the 2 network cards i have spare):-

.............................. ADSLModem
......................................|
...............................Win98 ICS
...........................__Hub/Switch___
..........................|....................... ....|
....................Linux/SEQ--------Win98/EQ

If i set up the above.. would i be able to get my Win98/EQ pc to use the linux PC for the internet primaraly, and if linux isn't runnng it will use the internet via the hub? ... i'd like to be able to sometimes have the Linux PC turned off at night time as its very noisy, and still be able to use the win98/EQ pc on the net...... like i said, i don't wanna have to change 5million settings to get on the internet with the win98/EQ pc when the linux box is not turned on. I can route traffic from linux to an ip using an option.

Sorry for being a noob, but we all godda start sumwer hehe.

hope you understand me.

Or has any1 got any better ideas?

please don't flame me ... you guys can be mean LOL

sorry for typos and spelling.

high_jeeves
10-04-2002, 12:06 PM
OK.. well, if you couldnt find an answer to this, you didnt even try... it is answered in the FAQ, and is THE MOST COMMONLY answered question on these boards. Please spend some more time reading.

Just for shits: You answered your own question.. you say "i know it wont work with a switch", then you draw a second diagram asking "why wont it work with this switch?"

Spend some time reading instead of installing linux 10 times.. the answers are all in the FAQ.

--Jeeves

flipper
10-04-2002, 12:30 PM
There's so much love in this forum. I can feel it radiating out from my monitor... oh wait, that's just my cheap ass unshielded monitor.

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 12:30 PM
I did read it sir, i read it 5million times to try to get it to install SEQ.

Ok, right, so it doesn't wwork with a switch, i'm f**ing new to this shit, i don't know what i am doing, thats why i have posted here. I have learnt everything i know about networks/linux/protocols in the last 2weeks, I was hoping u cud help me set up my system... whats the point having this f**ing board if your just gunna tell people to F-off.
You must not have read my post properly or you misunderstood. The 2nd diagram was just to show you if that setup would work (now i reckon it would). If you understood the 2nd diagram properly the Win98/EQ pc isn't even going to be using the switch.. i was meaning route the internet traffic through the linux box into the EQ PC .. therefor the linux machine should see the packets.

Help me out man, it says nothing in the FAQ that i have read about this. Yes it gives me a recommended setup, but i don't have extra equip and i'm trying to set this up with the equip that i have.

Also where did i put "will it work with this switch in the 2nd diagram?"

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 12:39 PM
maybe if my 2nd diagram was like this it would make it more clearer

...........................___Switch
..........................|
..........................|
....................DualBoot
.....................Win98

but when i want to put EQ on both the PCs in my bedroom i'd want it to be this:-

....................Linux/win98........Win98/EQ

the reason why my diagram was like this:-

is because i may want to turn the linux PC off and still access the net on Win98/EQ PC.. in the above i won;'t have to piss about unplugging stuff changing settings etc.. i don't know about ths sort of shit, i just thinking logically.

If you dont' understand then nm, ive gotton lots of help already from a broadband forum, i just thought i'd ask here as some1 may have been in the same position as me.

high_jeeves
10-04-2002, 12:57 PM
1) Your diagram was clearly fucked up in the first post, so dont complain when people cant understand you... it took an advanced degree in foreign languages to read your post in the first place.

Also where did i put "will it work with this switch in the 2nd diagram?"

You drew a diagram with a switch and asked if it would work.. so, the implicit question is: "will it work with this switch".

2) Its ok to cuss on these boards.. we wont call your mom.. i promise..

3) If you read this:

2.12 What network layout do YOU recommend?

In the FAQ, it answers your questions, gives you recommend layout, and everything... If you want to learn about networking, go read a networking forum...

Just go spend $10 on a hub... dont build a super complex and unstable setup to solve an extremely simple problem. In your diagram, you will need atleast one extra ethernet card, possibly 2. That is going to cost you more than a hub in the first place.

whats the point having this f**ing board if your just gunna tell people to F-off.

Whats the point of having the boards if people dont bother to read the thousands of posts on this topic that are already here. If you read them, and didnt understand them, the problem lies with you, not with us. Being new isnt an excuse for asking the same question that is asked here weekly. And please, try to type better, you will get more help here, and everywhere in life if you sound literate... i usually dont care about grammar, but your posts make my head hurt.

--Jeeves

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 01:14 PM
1. Its cus your a fucking yanky.

2. ok cool.... You fucking yanky bastard lol

3. i did fucking read that fucking FAQ fucking networking fucking layout (i thought my switch was a hub at 1st so my current setup is exactly the same except i have a switch instead of hub)

I'm 17years old i'm at college and have like zero cash, i doubt i'll find a hub for 10$ here in the uk, but i will look ......... but, another question, aren't hubs fixed onto 100 or 10mbs or what ever it is... as 1 of the computers connected to my switch is far away down the road to a friends house and cus the cable is so long i have to use 10mbs for that 1. Will it still fucking work?
And to note.. i have 2 ethernet cards spare as i said in my previous posts.

Sorry for giving u a head ache.

are we friends yet jeeves? :)

The more complicated my set-up, the more i will learn.

Ratt
10-04-2002, 01:28 PM

It's Yankie, ya bloody git... Well, I could be spelled Yanky, but the most common spelling is Yankie. So you're not technically wrong on the spelling.

Regardless, what on earth were you trying to say here?

I've come up with two translations into English.

1: It's "cus." You're a fucking Yankie.
2: It's "cus," you fucking Yankie.

Which one were you implying?

By the way... it's spelled "cuss," not "cus".

I'm 17years old i'm at college and have like zero cash, i doubt i'll find a hub for 10$ here in the uk, but i will look

Lemme see... now, I'm no expert on the British, by any means... but I wonder if you are telling the truth. I have to suspect you are telling the truth, because I can't see any reason you'd lie. However, I have never, ever, heard a Brit call it "College." They say something silly like "I'm going to University." When every self respecting person knows that you go to a University, but you go to College (or perhaps in your case, you go to Collage?).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that. I have nothing constructive to add to this thread.

fryfrog
10-04-2002, 01:32 PM
FIRST POST!

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 01:53 PM
in the U.K. school is from age 4-10. high school 10-16... college 16-18, university 18+

no.1 is correct LOL, sorry i should have put "you're" instead of "your".. but then again i should have put "some" instead of "sum", "because" instead of "cus", sorry i'm crap at spelling and i can type more words this way.

anyways, help me you yankies, plzzz

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 02:06 PM
I've been trying hard to get this sorted out...

i've been posting here also, the guy has been very helpful to me.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4598009~root=ukbb~mode=flat

Mag@@
10-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Super Noob

2. ok cool.... You fucking yanky bastard lol

3. i did fucking read that fucking FAQ fucking networking fucking layout (i thought my switch was a hub at 1st so my current setup is exactly the same except i have a switch instead of hub)

I'm 17years old i'm at college and have like zero cash, i doubt i'll find a hub for 10$ here in the uk, but i will look ......... but, another question, aren't hubs fixed onto 100 or 10mbs or what ever it is... as 1 of the computers connected to my switch is far away down the road to a friends house and cus the cable is so long i have to use 10mbs for that 1. Will it still fucking work?
And to note.. i have 2 ethernet cards spare as i said in my previous posts.

Sorry for giving u a head ache.

are we friends yet jeeves? :)

The more complicated my set-up, the more i will learn.

Your set up will not work because you did not read the FAQ, which has all of your questions answered within it. You also did not search to read the preface on how to post. Your setup will not work because you did not read to learn, and then flamed one of the most helpful people here. The developers and regulars do not get paid for their contributions, they use their free time, time which is wasted by people who do not read first before they open their mouths ~ time which they could be spending doing what they really wanted to do.

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 02:49 PM
Be quiet mortal, who are you? i don't see 5million posts next to your name, i wasn't flaming jeeves, i was just having a laugh you thick cunt. Do you think if i was going to flame HIM i'd call him a yanky?, and would i have said "are we friends yet Jeeves?", was trying to make the thread at least a little bit humorous, what else did u want me to say?

1. Yes i have a spelling problem and i'm a little slow.

2. Oh i see, thanks.

3. Hmm, oh right, well i read that part but i didn't seem to be able to get the information out of it that i needed to sort out my problem.

I like boys.

Piss off.

high_jeeves
10-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Ok.. can we just get this thread locked, we are sliding closer and closer to beign like the hackersquest boards lately... the more morons we allow to come here and run free, the more they will reproduce.

--Jeeves

bonkersbobcat
10-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Please don't feed the trolls, or let them reproduce. There is no safe sex for trolls.

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 03:27 PM
:(

please can i get some help.

I'm sorry if i offended you Jeeves :(

Compared to the stuff other people post like -- "Where do i find Showeq?" am i that fucking bad...

actually, just fukoff, i'll find a fucking proper help desk fucking forum, whats the fucking point putting showeq in the public domain and not expecting noobs to ask for help?

you may aswell just password this forum so only fucking c++ programmers have access to it, like how many problems have been sorted out here? like 4?

shady bastards

S_B_R
10-04-2002, 03:56 PM
Please Restate your question Super Noob. I thought your question had been answered. I read through this entire thread as well and the DSLReports thread you mentioned.

It is my understanding that you learned that you have a Switch, and not a Hub. And you also learned that a Switch will not allow you to sniff packets.

What exactly do you still need help with? Please clearly state what issues or Questions you still have (please no more diagrams without using the code tag (http://seq.sourceforge.net/misc.php?action=bbcode#buttons)).

bonkersbobcat
10-04-2002, 03:57 PM
Actual problems that are related to SEQ always get sorted out here.

Communicating your problem poorly, failing to read the FAQ and search, and swearing at people will not get you help.

(Ok so I fed him a bit. Bad cop, no donut.)

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Alright.....

I know a switch won't work, but that is if the EQ PC is connected to the switch, am i correct?

1. is it possible for this system to work?
AdslModem>>Win98ICS>>SwitchA>>Redhat7.3shoeq/DualBoot/Win98>>Win98EQ

2. If answer to 1 is yes (which i guess it is),
a) is it easy to set up?
b) how do I set it up?
or
c) where would i find the information to set it up?

3. If answer to 1 is yes and assuming i have that setup.
a) Would my 2nd diagram setup in the entire thread work the same as question 1 in this post? (its the same as the setup in question one except the mainEQpc is also connected to the switch)

4. If answer to 3a is yes and assuming i have that setup and if I have the linux machine turned off.
a) How easy would it be to get my Main EQPC to have access to the internet.
b) How would i change my setup to do this?

thats what i wanted to know really, but if I can get a hub for 10$ and that will solve all the problems then i'll have to do that, The reason i want to know the above is cus i have all the equip in my house to set that up and it will cost me nothing.

As for communicating my problem poorly and calling me a moron--- how can i help who i am, how i think, how retarded I am, how i explain things, i thought you was here to help not to critisize people.

If i had money to contribute to you people I would. If i could answer some of the quesitons that other people have posted then i would.

Dedpoet
10-04-2002, 06:49 PM
No Noob, that will not work. A switch will not work. The packets to and from the EQ box must pass the Seq box. A switch does not allow that to happen. Replace your switch with a hub, and your number 1 above will work.

If you want some advice on some hubs, look for a thread about 3 or 4 below this one called "Name some 100 hubs" or something close to that.

Super Noob
10-04-2002, 06:59 PM
it is going through seq in part 1 of my last post. Basically i'm saying can i use the Linux PC to share the internet with my EQ PC, even though the linux PC is already sharing the internet from my main gateway PC. I thought that it wouldn't matter if my switch was a switch or a hub in the setup i have shown you.

You guys just don't undertsand me or i'm completely wrong.
Thanks for trying :rolleyes:

high_jeeves
10-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: It will be a royal pain in the ass, and a cheap hub (i looked.. you can get one for 12 pounds) will save you alot of trouble.

Bottom line: If you want to spend 3-4 days setting up, and have to change networking configurations every time you reboot the ShowEQ machine to the other operating system, go ahead. But dont whine on message boards about how to make this rediculously complicated system work... the answers you will find will all be they same: GO BUY A HUB. If you go the difficult route, read up on networking, ipchains, NAT, and TCP/IP in general so you can understand how it all works. Otherwise, the first time something doesnt work, you will be back on a message board whining about how nobody helps you. I cant wait to you get to the real world... you're gonna be in for a real ass kicking...

--Jeeves

Super Noob
10-05-2002, 04:11 AM
I looked for a hub today. Cheapest was 30pound, but i managed to find a shop selling a 2nd hand 3com 8port hub for 20pound and i begged my mum for the money.
IT works perfectly with showeq and my network setup is working fine.
I just thought it would be simple to setup the system i was talking about previously.

Thanks for your help, sorry for pissing you guys off, and thanks for showeq.

bubye.

Mr. Suspicious
10-05-2002, 10:24 AM
and i begged my mum for the money.

Might ask her for a bar of soap so you can wash your mouth with it aswell when you're at it.