PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ/Mandrake 8.2 Instruction Set

NetEngineer
10-04-2002, 12:38 PM
1) Download Mandrake 8.2 (3-CD’s) and perform the installation.

2) Install Linux workstation. On the Package selection Screen De-Select everything except for KDE Interface. Follow along with the installation wizard and perform the tasks it asks of you. Upon Completion of the installation… you will have a very clean and package free installation.

3) Once you are logged into Mandrake 8.2 it’s now time to install the required packages… so keep those CD’s handy.
a. Goto the icon in the bottom left corner of your screen; which, looks like a “gear with an overlaying Letter K”
b. Select/Click this Icon
c. Goto Configuration
d. Goto Packaging
e. Goto Software Manager
f. Login with the root password (should be prompting you)
g. Goto step Four.

4) This will take you to the Individual Package Selection screen. At the top there is Tree View and Flat View. Select Flat View to see all available RPM files to install. Below is the list from Yendor and Zaphod of what needs to be installed. My recommendation is to utilize the find feature instead of scrolling thru the entire listing. Keep in mind some of these could already be installed with the KDE Package… so if you don’t find it… continue to the next package.

XFree86-devel
XFree86-libs
autoconf
automake
binutils
cvs
freetype
gcc3
gcc3-c++
gd
gd-devel
gdbm
gdbm-devel
glibc
glibc-common
glibc-devel
kernel-headers
libgcc
libjpeg
libjpeg-devel
libmng
libmng-devel
libpcap
libpng
libpng-devel
libstdc++3
libstdc++3-devel
libtool
libtool-libs
m4
make
patch
zlib
zlib-devel

5) Now its time to go into Command Line mode…
a. Goto the icon in the bottom left corner of your screen; which, looks like a “gear with an overlaying Letter K”
b. Select/Click this Icon
c. Goto Terminals
d. Select Terminal (Super-user Mode)
** Note: If you’re not careful in this mode (Super-User) you WILL mess something up!! Which means start from scratch!! **
e. Goto step Six.

6) Type in the command lines as shown
cd
mkdir /seq
cd /seq
cd /usr/lib
wget --passive-ftp http://www27.brinkster.com/blueadept/libEQ.a
wget –-passive-ftp ftp://at.rpmfind.net/linux/mandrake/updates/8.1/RPMS/libpng2-1.0.12-2.1mdk.i586.rpm
rpm –ivh libpng2-1.0.12-2.1mdk.i586.rpm
cd /seq
wget --passive-ftp http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm.php
wget --passive-ftp http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-dev...-1.i386.rpm.php
rpm -ivh qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
cvs login
cvs checkout showeq
cd showeq
export QTDIR=/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc3
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

6) When make install completes… type ShowEQ in the Terminal Window’s Command Prompt.

This is merely a revised ShowEQ installation instruction set… that works with a Mandrake 8.2 installation… that is pratically spoon feeding you the info… Enjoy and Happy SEQing.

evercamp
10-06-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi,

Am using 8.2 version of Mandrake also. I followed your guide step by step.

On step 6 when this command is typed...

wget –-passive-ftp ftp://at.rpmfind.net/linux/mandrake...2.1mdk.i586.rpm

I get the following....

Resolving at.rpmfind.net... done.
Connecting to at.rpmfind.net[192.35.244.50]:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous .. Logged in!
==> SYST .. done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /linux ... done.
==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR mandrake...2.1mdk.i586.rpm ...
No such file `mandrake...2.1mdk.i586.rpm'.

error message is the no such file mandrake?

any suggestions? thanks. Was looking for a version 8.2 guide for new users, am glad you are here!

Mr. Suspicious
10-06-2002, 07:40 PM
any suggestions?

Use the correct filepath. the ".." in the filepath you give there is NOT correct.

evercamp
10-06-2002, 08:00 PM
Sorry am new.

What directory should i be pointing the (..) to?

The seq directory i created?

thanks.

Mag@@
10-06-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by evercamp
Hi,

wget –-passive-ftp ftp://at.rpmfind.net/linux/mandrake...2.1mdk.i586.rpm

I get the following....

Resolving at.rpmfind.net... done.
Connecting to at.rpmfind.net[192.35.244.50]:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous .. Logged in!
==> SYST .. done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /linux ... done.
==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR mandrake...2.1mdk.i586.rpm ...
No such file `mandrake...2.1mdk.i586.rpm'.

error message is the no such file mandrake?

any suggestions? thanks. Was looking for a version 8.2 guide for new users, am glad you are here!

Hover your mouse over the link in the original post - looks like you have a typo.

*Edit was to correct my spelling - its getting late.

evercamp
10-07-2002, 03:09 AM
Okay I been making it towards the end with no errors.

when i type ./configure I get this error.

'You need at least GCC G++ 3.0 or greater to compile EQ'

I know the original poster said to check for these files

gcc3
gcc3-c++

I do a search under 'installed' under Software Manager and come up with, these, gcc3.0-C++, and gcc3.0, I assume it doesn't like the extra ".0" ?

I then head over to Installable files and do a search for gcc and I don't see anything with the just gcc3 named files...they all have the added period and zero at the end...lol,

so then I head over to this site upon doing some searches for similiar issues with this problem,

ftp://azriel.trifocus.net/pub/redhat

When I click on link it asks for a login password, which btw is not stated on the message I found posted by this guy to follow this link. I thought the login was anonymous and just hit enter for the password? Argggh, what a pain but I am trying to learn =P

btw, the message thread I found this under...
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204

shows nothing about a login/password

thanks again!

N00B to Linux
10-07-2002, 08:22 AM
I followed this instructions stictly but got this message when trying to launch "showeq" : Segmentation Fault.

I read the boards about that but nothing really helpfull there...can someone show me the way ?

cide
10-07-2002, 08:13 PM
I have all the packages that are specifed installed.. but after following everything down to the penny I get this:

14:05:16 (11.76 KB/s) - `qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm' saved [7489413]

[root@pbgaming seq]# rpm -ivh qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
libstdc++.so.3 is needed by qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1
libstdc++.so.3 is needed by qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1

I have libstdc installed... /shrug. Any help would be greatly appritiated.

Mag@@
10-07-2002, 09:33 PM
The link for the devel rpm has a typo in the original post. The correct link is in a post in this same forum - you can find it with a quick search.

evercamp
10-08-2002, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the help all !

Was able to compile successfully with no errors and now am to the point of actually running SEQ, and was able to get it up to the GUI interface.

My next step is to properly configure hardware wise to allow the SEQ running off my Linux box to communicate with the Everquest client using XP on my other computer.

A few searches with the word configuration, IP, and hub directs me to the same thing. Looks as though the current router model I have, a D-Link, model number DI-704P is not a true hub and thus the ShowEQ client cannot communicate with the EQ client properly.

I am off to CompUSA later today to make a purchase. But I am getting different types of posts on what to buy. The D-Link DSH-5 model has been confirmed to work but most stores don't carry that anymore. Some guy even posted I bought a 29 dollar hub but said nothing about make or model. Another guy said to save the receipt and return exchange etc.

Are there any of the newer model hubs that are currently out, since Comp USA usually stocks current models that I should keep an eye out for that is confirmed to work?

Just saves me trips back and forth ..etc.

Thanks !, closer by the day

trax
10-08-2002, 03:12 AM
I get most of the way through the compiler and at the end I get this error

configure: error: cannot find pcap_open_live in libpcap. read the INSTALL file.

I read the file it didn't really help in the least any help that I could get on this would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Mag@@
10-08-2002, 06:47 AM
Yep - there are plenty of posts on hardware. I use the same Dlink as a firewall and a Netgear 8 port therafter - no problemos at all. Check the posts to make sure your set up is ok.

Dedpoet
10-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Evercamp, the Netgear hubs that are labelled as such on the box are true hubs. I used to use an EN104-TP (10 MBit) until I upgraded to my 10/100 D-Link DSH-5. You can also use the EN108, which is an 8 port version of the 104, or you can use the 10/100 version of these, which I think is the EP series (but don't quote me on that). All the big chain computer stores in the US carry Netgear.

trax
10-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Sorry, read the INSTALL and it says you need to have root acess to start up showeq cause it needs root access to load libpcap, when i ./configure after doing all the exports, following step by step, tripple checked that i had all of the rpm's downloaded and installed, it says it cant find the pcap_open_live, is this a seperate package i need to install? cant seem to find any information on what this is.. I appriciate any help that you guys can give me, im ripping out my hair trying to figure it out. 0*8) thanks guys.

OKay, sorry for the edit here guys, been doing alot fof research.. yea i know RTFM.. I cant for the life of me seem to find libpcap-devel for mandrake 8.2 i found one on rpmfinder.net but when i rpm -ivh it says its for a diffrent build.. starting to get confused.. shouldnt be this hard *sighs* sorry for the problem any help you could offer would be greatly appriciated, i have read every post on the site about libpcap and its mostly for redhat7.1 i'll keep looking but any help i can get would be GREATLY appriciated.
Trax

evercamp
10-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Now I am going by the salesman at CompUSA so bear with me.. lol

This is my current setup.

Cable modem is hooked up to the D-Link router via normal Ethernet Cat5 cable.

The D-link router is connected to the Hub I just bought using a Crossover cable the salesman said I needed. Now from that Hub I have both of my PC's connected to it using a Crossover cable for each. Is this right? So basically he got me to buy 3 crossover cables and the hub, heh. I got the reciept so...

All I know is both PC's have access to the internet but ShowEQ is still not communicating with the EQ client.

Do I need to enable file sharing on my XP EQ pc or.. ?

Damn I am such a noob... lol

http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html

I followed the link via the above post but the guy does not really mention anything in terms of cables to use and whatnot.

thanks all.

least i got compile to work..now it's gonna take me another few days to figure this out..haha

fryfrog
10-09-2002, 06:39 AM
xover cables are ONLY used between networking devices like hubs and switches IF IT DOESN'T HAVE A CROSSOVER PORT. normal cables should be used between network cards and hubs/switches.

most hubs also have a "crossover" switch (mechanical) or a port. basically, its a cross-wired port that turns a normal cable into a crossover cable. so 99.9% of the time you don't need ANY cross over cables.

so, cablemodem --normal--> router --xover OR normal--> hub