PDA

View Full Version : Win Emulators, and a Single Computer

soko_g
10-05-2002, 12:38 PM
I essentially have two questions that I will try to keep short and simple. Thank you for taking the time to view my thread.

- I stopped using Linux some time ago, and had never kept up on Windows emulation software. Is it possible to run EQ in Linux with some level of stability, through the various emulation programs now available?

- Is it possible to run ShowEQ on a single computer? I realize that the FAQ suggests two systems, however I imagine that having a second NIC in passive mode could supplement the need for a second computer, if that is a requirement for SEQ.

I would try this out on my own, but SEQ would be my only reason for installying Linux. I don't want to commit to the trouble of reinstalling Linux if it would only be in vain.

Thank You.

nok
10-05-2002, 02:22 PM
hey, i know. lets read the fucking faq.

2.14 Can I run ShowEQ in VMware or on other virtual i386 computers?
While nothing is impossible, the goal is to keep ShowEQ away from Windows (the masses). If you can get it working on VMware, more power to you. Please don't expect much help though, as we tend to frown on anything with "ShowEQ" and "Windows" in the same post/sentence.

now stfu and die.

soko_g
10-05-2002, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the uplifting response.

However, I never wanted to run ShowEQ in Windows, but rather EQ in Linux and ShowEQ on the same computer.

That was the essense of my questions.

Cryonic
10-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by soko_g
- I stopped using Linux some time ago, and had never kept up on Windows emulation software. Is it possible to run EQ in Linux with some level of stability, through the various emulation programs now available?

Short Answer, NO
Longer Answer, Not at this time, maybe sometime in the future of Wine or Transgaming support.

- Is it possible to run ShowEQ on a single computer? I realize that the FAQ suggests two systems, however I imagine that having a second NIC in passive mode could supplement the need for a second computer, if that is a requirement for SEQ.

Possible, Yes. Do you have to horsepower to do it? I'm guessing no.

You would need VMware installed and be running Windows 2000 or XP for playing EQ and then Linux installed and properly configured inside of VMware on that system. This means running EQW (which ups some of the specs needed to run EQ) so that you can see EQ and SEQ.

Cheapest and best solution is two systems (an older P150 or better is cheaper than buying VMWare).

I would try this out on my own, but SEQ would be my only reason for installying Linux. I don't want to commit to the trouble of reinstalling Linux if it would only be in vain.

Sounds like using SEQ would be totally pointless for you then :)

soko_g
10-05-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
Possible, Yes. Do you have to horsepower to do it? I'm guessing no.

You would need VMware installed and be running Windows 2000 or XP for playing EQ and then Linux installed and properly configured inside of VMware on that system. This means running EQW (which ups some of the specs needed to run EQ) so that you can see EQ and SEQ.

Cheapest and best solution is two systems (an older P150 or better is cheaper than buying VMWare).My computer is 2.53GHz. I suppose I can play with VMware, and see how far I get. Probably not very, though.
Sounds like using SEQ would be totally pointless for you then :) Hmm, I don't get it. I can think of a lot of uses for ShowEQ, or is that not what you meant?

high_jeeves
10-05-2002, 11:40 PM
My computer is 2.53GHz. I suppose I can play with VMware, and see how far I get. Probably not very, though.

Wont matter... the horsepower required to run both apps at once will be quite high. Remember, VMWare is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than just running two processes, and it has emulated video access, so all the drawing on the screen will be super slow.

--Jeeves

soko_g
10-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Alright, thanks a lot for your input. I don't have a second computer, as I lent out my spare, and I will not be getting it back until after Army boot camp. I guess I'll just have to wait until then.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help. I'm going to try and close this thread so it doesn't get needlessly bumped.

edit: I guess I can't. If an admin can do me that one favor, please.