PDA

View Full Version : Redhat 8.0 instructions.

fade2000
10-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Props to otterpop for the basics. The rest is to keep it as easy as possible below. For the most part it's run smooth as silk, less locks or drops as well. Not to mention RH 8.0 is pretty attractive desktop wise. There's some nice changes.

Anyway, most of this is otterpop's info, I just adjusted it for the "full install" crowd. I hate to call this the "dummies" guide but it is just about that easy.

1) Select 'Custom' installation, then scroll down and select 'Everything'. Minimum 4 gig needed plus storage room. I recommend a 10 gig drive or better.

2) Be sure and set up X correctly and TEST the config with the provided button to make sure it works. 1024x768 or better resolution if you can run it.

3) Do this stuff as root:

cd /usr/lib
wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a
wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a.md5
mkdir /seq
cd /seq
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroo /seq
cvs login
*** (hit return at the password prompt) ***
cvs checkout showeq
cd showeq
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

4) Run your standard way with options ...

showeq <ip address>

(edited out the unfriendly url parsing and smilies crap)

SkackDuck
10-12-2002, 05:58 PM
There is a typo in the export line in your post.

But the rest worked perfect. it should be...

export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq

not

export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroo /seq

But thanks. This worked great for this total Linux newbie!

fade2000
10-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Actually there was a couple of typos. thanks for the help SkackDuck. :)

Another item I messed was the correct switch on the command line:

showeq --ip-address=1.1.1.1 (or whatever IP you are watching)

OR just use

showeq

then select the client under network menu settings.

Finally, do NOT forget to run showeq as root.

-Fade

Satchel
10-18-2002, 09:36 PM
I do everything right, but don't get why I can't connect to the ftp site. It times out says connecting.....nothing else. Anyone got a clue. I installed everything for Rh 8.0 as well.

John
10-18-2002, 10:07 PM
However I believe there are other posts with other servers so keep tryin!

Satchel
10-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Happen to know where :). Still looking and I don't see another place to d/l libeq.a. Would really appreciate it if you could post where if you know.

John
10-18-2002, 11:20 PM
I believe we both don't have our networking sorted out. Hell Im not even sure if I can even get this to work with a dsl modem connected to a router then connected to my 2 comps. I am going to try looking around redhat sites for nooby tips :)

Satchel
10-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Still nothing...Does that mean something is blocking me on my end from connecting to the ftp?

wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a
=> 'libEQ.a'
Resolving smurfette.trifocus.net... done.
Connection to smurfette.trifocus.net[24.243.210.248]:21... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.

Same over and over again until it stops trying. Any clue?

Mr. Suspicious
10-19-2002, 03:36 PM
Still looking and I don't see another place to d/l libeq.a. Would really appreciate it if you could post where if you know.

Why don't look in the, stupid suggestion I know, README.libEQ file?

Satchel
10-20-2002, 04:18 PM
If I get the LibEQ.a file do I need LibEQ.a.md5? Not sure on the difference between the files. Looked on a friends box and got the libeq.a but didn't see a libeq.a.md5.

mallocLiberator
10-21-2002, 04:38 PM
The libEQ.a.md5 file is not necessary to proper operation of the application. It is merely a text file that allows easy comparison of the md5 sum of the libEQ.a file which is the actual library file. It can be safely removed after the md5sum check is performed. Always make sure to check the md5sum against the one on the intro page to this project whenever installing a new libEQ.a.

Talon
10-24-2002, 11:59 AM
Thx for the manual, i am close to have it running but :

for
/usr/local/bin/showeq

the program starts, but terminal window shows :
listening for client 192.168.2.6
(means, showeq finds the client)
Categories Reloaded
Error opening map file '/usr/local/share/showeq/unknown.map'!
Opcode Logging Mask : 0 0 0
EQPacket: SEQClosing detected, awaiting next zone session, pcap filter: EQ Client 192.168.2.6

but no decoding, no info in SEQ (((

Anyone a hint ?

high_jeeves
10-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Perhaps reading? ShowEQ decoding is currently broken. For information on how to get it working atleast somewhat.. try reading the forums.

--Jeeves

Satchel
10-28-2002, 11:15 PM
Deleted my libeq.a file ect...and tried this and i get an error about compatibility. Any solutions for the new libeq.a ect?

CiscoKid
10-29-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Satchel
Deleted my libeq.a file ect...and tried this and i get an error about compatibility. Any solutions for the new libeq.a ect?

Did you simply replace the libEQ.a file and try to run? You'll need to recompile...

Satchel
10-29-2002, 10:37 PM
Yes on ./configure it basically says i don't have libEQ.a or an uncompatible compiler. Worked fine before not sure if something was changed and I need to install something esle besides the basic that Fade mentioned for 8.0.

Tele
11-11-2002, 02:12 AM
I saw you were trying to connect using dsl to router to computers. I looked at the diagram given on hardware setups and as i understand it, another device is needed. Is this true or did i misunderstand the other post.

I have DSL to Linsys router to systems. I am slowly picking away at getting things running, but could use the insight of someone who has set up the same type system I have running to make questions easier.

Tele

mi6
05-22-2003, 03:30 PM
i have a cable modem hooked up to my Linksys BEFSR41 4-port Router , if you have any question please ask and i will help you the best i can.

make sure to read the linksys manual shows you allot and make sure you clone your mac address ( allot of ppl forget )

TDES
05-22-2003, 05:28 PM
I don't know what made me think of this .....

but maybe we can have a contest to see who can bump the oldest post ?

mi6
05-22-2003, 07:34 PM
*bump*