PDA

View Full Version : NetDSL configuration help needed

a_necro00
10-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Hello there.

I have SEQ working at my desktop PC at the office using VMWare thanks to the (excellent work!) Howto RH 7.2.

But at my home I have an ARESCOM NetDSL 1000 IP ADSL Router that is straight connected to my PC. I was using it as a plain ADSL modem, using PPPoE with dynamic IP. After reading all the threads about this I forced my provider to change it to static addressing so I can use the netDSL as a router.

Right now the router is doing the authentication (ADSL is linked now using PPPoA) and is using DHCP assigned NAT address inside.

Problem is: vmware (bridging mode, DHCP assigned IP working fine) still seems to see the packets as encapsulated. (ping works but shows errors on headers).

I don't have more space at home to put more PCs. I also have my wife laptop there (still connected using W XP Connect Sharing, through another net card at PC). I got an used plain hub that I will connect this night and try to plug the laptop and check it there using vmware.

I am not (by any means) a network expert, and I see many many parameters at the netDSL administrator software (did I say that the ISP gives me the password of the router :) ). Someone knows if I can change something there so the packets that arrive to my PC are plains TCP/IP ones ? I asked ARESCOM but they weren't too helpful.

Thanks in advance.

S_B_R
10-09-2002, 12:25 PM
If the Router is logging into the PPPoE system with username and password then it should be sending out standard TCP. I've seen Windows ICS do some strange things to Packets, I would susggest disabling that and see if you have better luck.

a_necro00
10-10-2002, 08:29 AM
Thanks S_B_R, I disabled the ICS anyway.

It's working perfect now that I installed the hub in front of both machines. The weird thing is that I can not ping (or traceroute)
from inside the RH 7.2 running on vmware (it says BAD CHECKSUM), but SEQ & Mozilla works fine. I don't mind anyway, I can ping perfectly from the WinXP host OS.

Well, if anyone needs the software to manage the netDSL 1000 contact me. (I understand that is the same that MSN & Qwest use at the US), I have the manager and the procedure to get the password from it :D

If you have a single-user account, the netDSL allows to use that login and password inside and act as a router, and S_B_R is right, if he does the authentication, then the packets going outside are plain TCP/IP.

Thanks all.

S_B_R
10-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Glad I could help. :)

PPPoE = teh Sux

BlueAdept
10-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by a_necro00
The weird thing is that I can not ping (or traceroute)
from inside the RH 7.2 running on vmware (it says BAD CHECKSUM), but SEQ & Mozilla works fine

I came across a few threads on the net (while I was setting my friends DSL up) that this is a known problem. From what I read it is a problem with the DSL providers and not the linux side of it.

a_necro00
10-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks BlueAdept. It was my fault to not look for this error on another boards.

That is one chance and another is the ICMP pass-through implementation of my crappy DSL router/firewall. I am pretty sure that is not vmware given that at my PC office pings works fine.

I will re-partition my wife laptop this weekend so I can do a clean install of RH 7.2 there. After that, I will check it again. My only hope is that Partition Magic 8 work, or my wife will kill me for screwing her XP laptop. Well, maybe she can start learning some Linux then :p

Dedpoet
10-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Partition Magic will work and not mess with XP. Just shrink the XP partition to where you want it, then add your Linux root and swap partitions. Make sure you make the root partition big enough the first time because you can't resize ext2 or ext3 partitions later without nuking them.

When you install RH, the GRUB install will see your XP partition and you can use GRUB to dual boot. I do this with Gentoo on my laptop.