PDA

View Full Version : How to make seq beep using the pc speaker?

Timex
10-09-2002, 10:02 PM
I've got an onboard sound card installed, but I just want seq to beep when an alarm mob pop using the pc speaker.

I've d/l a filter list, and have Use Audio Device checked off on filters list. On my Audio Commands, when I go to spawn it has
"/usr/bin/esdplay /usr/local/share/showeq/spawn.wave &" in the text box. I understand this command and apart from not having the .wave file (that was the generic command in the text box), I think this command would try to play it out of my sound card.

First off, is there anyway I can just make it beep using the pc speaker?

Secondly, where can I get a good recent filter?

Thanks in advance.

lildr00d
10-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Mine beeps useing the PC speaker from the start. Never had to configure it to use it. Mabey Im just lucky that way.

Dedpoet
10-10-2002, 07:06 AM
What distro are you using? I've never had a problem with my speaker and Seq on Redhat, Gentoo, my desktop I used to run on, or the laptop I currently run on. Does the speaker work outside of Seq, like if you press backspace on an empty line in a terminal window, does it beep at you?

For a filter, check the filters forum on this board. I think the default is to only show posts from the last 30 days, so change that to "from the beginning" and look for posts from BlueAdept. He is the keeper of some great filters. You can get them from his website, which he has listed in most of those threads.

Timex
10-10-2002, 07:42 AM
Aye I have BlueAdept's filter from his site. Just wondering if there were any other ones out there.

I'm using Red Hat 7.2.

My pc speaker does work as it beeps if I press backspace on an empty line in shell. I'm pretty sure it's my command line to execute an audio wave file when something of interest spawns.

There currently any .wave files in /usr/local/share/showeq, and ofcourse when trying to execute
"/usr/bin/esdplay /usr/local/share/showeq/spawn.wave &" , it fails because the file doesn't exsist. Yes I can probably d/l a .wav file and put it in place there instead of the spawn.wave, but I want a pc speaker beep instead of a music file. Is there a special command or sound file to make the speaker beep?

Mr. Suspicious
10-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Is there a special command or sound file to make the speaker beep?

No, speaker beeping is default.

z26o
10-10-2002, 10:29 AM
and have Use Audio Device checked off on filters list

Just to be clear, the above means that there is no check next to "Use Audio Device" on the "Filters" menu? (I ask because in some parts of the US it could be read as "it's checked off - meaning it is selected) Anyway without a check mark (meaning it is de-selected) Showeq should use the PC speaker.

Sorry for the oversimplification, but sometimes its the simple things that get ya :)

z

Timex
10-10-2002, 04:13 PM
NP z26o, heh better safe then sorry.

As of this moment, the Use Audio Device has a check mark beside it. When I go to Audio Commands -> Spawn... , A text box pops up asking for the command line to use when Alert mobs spawn.

Right now the command is

"/usr/bin/esdplay /usr/local/share/showeq/spawn.wave &"

which ofcourse doesn't work because the spawn.wave file doesn't exsist.

My question is, what command line should I use for the pc speaker beeping then?

Cryonic
10-10-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Timex
Right now the command is

"/usr/bin/esdplay /usr/local/share/showeq/spawn.wave &"

which ofcourse doesn't work because the spawn.wave file doesn't exsist.

My question is, what command line should I use for the pc speaker beeping then?

None. When you uncheck "Use Audio Device" it will default to using the speaker. That line is changed if you DON'T want to use the PC speaker and actually want certain sounds to play for certain events.

Timex
10-10-2002, 07:41 PM
k will try =)

Timex
10-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Still no luck. First time I started seq I remember having "Use Audio Device" unchecked and it still didn't beep.

I've unchecked Use Audio Device again and I still get no beep when the Alert mobs spawn.

I know the pc speaker works because after I log into my shell, I press backspace and it beeps. But after I start kde I don't hear any type of beeps. I wonder if since I did have a sound card when I installed the system, the default audio device turned into that?

Anyone have a clue?

Timex
10-11-2002, 10:59 PM
Working fine now.

It was because when I installed Redhad 7.2, it configured my audio card to be the default audio device and to not use the pc speaker in X windows.

Just some fiddling around with the audio controls got it to work fine =)