PDA

View Full Version : Compiling SEQ on SuSE 8.1

Rincewind
10-10-2002, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

we managed to get SEQ to compile on Linux SuSE 8.1 without much trouble (well...), the following steps were necessary.

Install the regular SuSE development system with X11 from the CDs.

check for the following programs/packages:

autoconf 2.13 (suse uses 2.53 which apparently doesn't work)
automake 1.4 (suse uses 1.8 I think)

libtool 1.3.5
cvs 1.11 (installed from source, you can probably use the stock version as well)
gdbm (probably missed that one from the regular install as well)

remember to run ldconfig once after installing new libraries.

If you installed autoconf and automake check if the version you are running by default are the correct ones (since /usr/bin is ahead of /usr/local/bin, you will run the suse versions by default).
autoconf --version and automake --version should give the versions we want.

If it doesn't, rename /usr/bin/autoconf and /usr/bin/automake to something else (e.g. autoconf-2.53) so that you get the correction version.

After doing that you should be able to run the installation steps as described in the INSTALL file.

After installing I had to copy the file conf/seqdef.xml to /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml since that is not done by make install, I changed the necessary parameters.

Then everything worked.

Hope that helps

bye, A

Mr. Suspicious
10-10-2002, 06:20 PM
After installing I had to copy the file conf/seqdef.xml to /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml since that is not done by make install, I changed the necessary parameters.

Don't do that! showeq.xml will be created automagically the first time you run ShowEQ. Showeq.xml and Seqdef.xml ARE NOT the same thing! And for gods sake, DON'T:

I changed the necessary parameters.

either. Just change whatever setting in the program and select "save preferences" and it'll save everything into showeq.xml. You don't have to (and should not IMO) make adjustments manually.

Oid
10-10-2002, 06:49 PM
Didn't have all that much trouble getting it up on suse either. Autoconf and automake worked fine for me as well. Did initially have some trouble with a few missing packages I forgot to install, and had my cd's loaned out to a buddy, so that got kind of intresting. But over all it went very smoothly once i fixed my own screw ups.