PDA

View Full Version : Real Quick

JCDyer
10-10-2002, 08:15 PM
I have already bought a Netgear hub, EN104TP... I read that this will work for the setup I attend to use.

................[Linksys cable modem]
................................|
.....................[Linksys Router]
.......................|...................|
...............[Non SEQ]....[Netgear HUB]
.....................................|............ .....|
................................[EQ]..............[SEQ]

I am running to my work to pick up some cables, and wanted to return the hub if it did not work, can anyone confirm real quick this one DOES work. Also, I read that you CAN NOT use a switch, but then I read that the above setup can work. Don't most routers have switches in them, in that case, would I need to find a router that does not have a switch? I appreciate any help.

JCD

high_jeeves
10-10-2002, 08:55 PM
To answer all network related questions, follow these instructions (or, read the FAQ):

Draw a line from the EQ to the internet. At any true hub, that line goes to all ports on the hub. Does that line hit your ShowEQ box? If so, then the packest will also.

--Jeeves

codepig666
10-11-2002, 12:32 AM
EN104TP is a true 10mb hub.

It will work.

The SEQ box hanging off the hub will be able to monitor the EQ client box hanging off the hub.

JCDyer
10-11-2002, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the confirmation...

At the moment I can't seem to get either my EQ or SEQ computer to get internet through the HUB, but I can get connections through my router, so I am just using that to set everything up in till I get my HUB problem solved. Now I am trying to get around a configure error when installing SEQ.

Thanks agian!

JCD

Guinney
10-11-2002, 02:26 AM
Have you checked the cable you are using between the hub and the router ? It needs to be a "crossover" cable...

Mr. Suspicious
10-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Have you checked the cable you are using between the hub and the router ? It needs to be a "crossover" cable...

Uhm, no, it doesn't. Just put a normal UTP cable in one of the normal ports on the router and into the UPLINK port of the HUB.

Guinney
10-11-2002, 12:48 PM
looks at his network setup and sees a crossover cable between the hub and the router ponders why.... looks a little closer.... scratches his head and sees the error in his ways... the cable connecting his hub to the router is not in the uplink location its in one of the regular ports. whips up a straight through cable puts it in the proper location .

Thanks Mr Suspicious for pointing out the error in my configuration ! :)

/em begins to wonder if he is one of the ones that proves Einstein was right..

jeffo
10-11-2002, 03:07 PM
just to clarify the above conversation...

The uplink port on a hub/switch is basically a reverse pinned connection which "converts" a standard network cable into a cross over cable, thus linking the devices.

the same affect can be achieved through using a cross over cable between a standard port of device 1 and the standard port of device 2.

the uplink port just removes the necessity of having specialized cables to connect devices.

also, often the uplink port "shares" the number of the highest port on the device, depending on how the manufacturer wired and marketed the device.

At the moment I can't seem to get either my EQ or SEQ computer to get internet through the HUB, but I can get connections through my router, so I am just using that to set everything up in till I get my HUB problem solved. Now I am trying to get around a configure error when installing SEQ.

Ok, like reviewed above, ensure that the hub is plugged with the correct type of wire into the correct type of ports on either device.

Standard port on switch (router in this case) -> Uplink port on hub with a standard network cable

-or-
standard port on switch (router) -> standard port on hub with crossover cable

If that is correct, you will want to plug the hub directly into your cable modem, and your computer to one of the ports on the hub, to determine if the hub is not working correct.

i assume you have connection lights lit for all of the cable connections you've made?