PDA

View Full Version : Minor problem, simple solution? ;)

Draco
10-11-2002, 09:49 AM
Anywhoo, I'll make it semi-short and simple, was curious what might be doing this.

Here's the problem currently.. SEQ catches all the packets, does everything great, until I stop using the machine (eg. moving mouse) and watch from a distance.

It completely stops, almost as if it suspends itself. top shows the cpu usage and 0~ until I move the mouse around and it kicks in.. doing an instant replay of what I did since it went "idle." I dunno what might be doing it. (adjusted the priority a little, seemed to help it, but it still stops)

Anyhow, doing this on a P-233/64MB
Fresh Gentoo 1.4RC1 (selected kernel from kernel.org)

Emerged blackbox..
Emerged 3.0.5-r2 of qt, that didnt work out so well (didnt decode.. odd). *grin*
Removed qt 3.0.5-r2 after I found that hidden qt 2.3.2 emerge version. ;)
./configured seq w/ "--enable-old-compiler" (any other way and it didnt decode [??].. maybe ill try again.)

Hmm.. so that's my problem, any suggestions? Shout if i left anything out. ^_^

Cryonic
10-11-2002, 11:09 AM
Maybe you have power management turned on or a screen saver set.

As for the --enable-old-compiler. If you Emerge gcc3 or 3.2 and recompile qt with that then you won't need that option enabled.

Draco
10-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
Maybe you have power management turned on or a screen saver set.

As for the --enable-old-compiler. If you Emerge gcc3 or 3.2 and recompile qt with that then you won't need that option enabled.

Well, I've tried your suggestions, and still no dice.

Gentoo comes w/ gcc 3.2, so I didnt change anything involving gcc. I just tried w/o the --enable-old-compiler and it worked fine, so I guess that has nothing to do with it.

Power management was what I first thought, but I'm not too up on how to adjust that. Looked around, tried from the term it was running in:
setterm -powersave off -blank 0
no dice.

No screensaver, very weird.. any other suggestions to power management or perhaps something else? Thanks for the response, btw :)

fryfrog
10-11-2002, 08:05 PM
xset s off
xset -dpms

also, make sure you don't have any screen savers setup in KDE or Gnome or what ever it is you are running.

Draco
10-11-2002, 11:42 PM
Yep, that definitely did the trick.

I recompiled the kernel again, this time without Power Management and it seems to be running awesome.

So keep that in mind if anyone else runs into this, hehe.. ;)