PDA

View Full Version : launching Showeq NOT as root

SkackDuck
10-12-2002, 11:43 PM
I couldn't figure how to get a search to make searching for this topic work :/

But anyway...

I want to run ShowEQ NOT as root, so that I can make some xwindows changes...

Is there a way to create a "batch file" that will

Su, give PW, and launch ShowEQ? And then make a Launcher Icon that runs this file?

I am prepared for the Jibes at the Linux Newbie :)

codepig666
10-13-2002, 12:28 AM
This is a noobie answer, but it's how I did it. I am uncertain how much of it relies on KDE and how much relies on Mandrake, so your mileage could vary.

Right click on your desktop and select "Create New Link to Application".

Under the "Execute" tab, put it the path to your showeq executeable. Check off the "Run as diferent user box and put in root as the username.

Still have to type in the password each time you run it, but its pretty clean as icons go. =P

I hope someone posts a better solution so I can upgrade =)

high_jeeves
10-13-2002, 01:09 AM
Take a look at this link, particularly Morannon's post about halfway down. Doing it this way will allow you to not have to use an icon (so you get console information), and not have to enter your root password each time.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1920&highlight=root+showeq

Remember.. searching is your friend..

--Jeeves

grimjack
10-15-2002, 12:26 AM
I curently use sudo to run things as root. It is a package that will allow you to grant a list of commands that can be run as root by specific users. Another alternative is to chmod 4777 showeq. This will do two things. Allow anyone to run the application, and cause the application to run as whoever owns it. If the file is owned by root it will execute as root.

Thanks
Grimjack