PDA

View Full Version : SEQ and SuSE 8.0

Chyran
10-13-2002, 06:36 PM
Hi there!

Just wanted to point out to those who want to install showeq under SuSE Linux 8.0, it works.

Follow the instructions to get all packets you need (read INSTALL) and the instructions from the SEQ FAQ ("Read this"-link on top of the forums (http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html)).

You will need to get and compile a new gcc (I got the newest one, gcc 3.2) -> http://gcc.gnu.org. Don't forget to run ldconfig after compiling.

You will need to get (ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/) and recompile qt-2.3.2. To recompile, read http://doc.trolltech.com/2.3/install-x11.html, and don't forget to use the command line options given in the SEQ FAQ (see above, search for -thread).

Attention: You might get into trouble when You try to compile qt-2.3.2. At least I did, but I compiled with gcc3.3 and not gcc3.2. While trying to compile the file qgbkcodec.cpp, if you get error messages like this:
qgbkcodec.cpp: error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'const unsigned char'

I solved this like this:
1) change to directory $QTDIR/src/tools
2) type: perl -i.bk -pe"s/\"\\\x(\w\w)\\\x(\w\w)\",/{0x\\1,0x\\2,0},/g;" qgbkcodec.cpp
(this will update qgbkcodec.cpp, and put the old one to qgbkcodec.cpp.bk)

Then everything should work. Go and compile SEQ with the information from the FAQ!

Question to the programmers here:
The problem with qt-2.3.2 in file qgbkcodec.cpp: there were many definitions like this:
static const unsigned char __some_name_here[][3]=
{ "\x5a\x42", "\x00\x01", };
And it didn't compile and give the error
error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'const unsigned char'
Like I said above. Now I changed that to
static const unsigned char __some_name_here[][3]=
{ {0x5a,0x42,0}, {0x00,0x01,0}, };
Then it worked. My question: was it correct? Did I interpret the "\x00\x23" in the right way? Or will I get problems afterwards? My SEQ runs, but you never now :)

TheBlonde
10-30-2002, 01:42 PM
bah slow down, i am still stuck on the gcc3 !!!

and do we have to change to QT 2.3 or can we use the QT3?

Spook
10-30-2002, 02:59 PM
I have a new RH 8.0 install and have had no trouble compileing with the new QT 3.

Chyran
11-01-2002, 05:37 AM
gcc is not really that much of a problem. They have a good installation instruction on their site.

Just make sure You don't get the latest gcc3.3, it won't work with showeq (I tried). gcc3.2 is working fine.

And, You might want to not compile all gcc things (java, f77, ...). Takes time and much disk space. When configuring, tell gcc to compile c,c++,objc and it will work fine (honestly I don't know if You even need objc *blush*).

As for qt-2.3.2 or any qt-3.x.x I recommend You uninstall qt-2.3.2 from the SuSE dist (all You need it for is old kde-compatibility), and then compile a new qt-2.3.2. The reason to use qt-2.3.2 instead of any qt-3.x.x version is: qt-2.3.2 will work, and if not, You will get help here. Try to get help here with a problem with qt-3.x.x and everybody will tell You to get qt-2.3.2.