PDA

View Full Version : so which 100mb (10/100 hub) setup works?

cide
10-15-2002, 01:37 AM
Well, Im dead sick of using this 6 year old 3com 8-Port 10Mbps Hub.

I am used to the 100mb network we have going at work, When I bring my PC and Lan... its just so much better.

Anyway, This 10mb hub has served me well, but no longer shall it. I am going to invest some money into a considerably better device.

All of my computers have 10/100 Mb Network cards using Cat-5E cableage. I am wondering, If I were to head over to Future shop or a small computer business; Which types of Hubs/switces etc should I consider?

From what i've read, a 10/100 (Labeled; Switch or Switching) hub wont work? Or will work if all connections are at 100mb rite?

Really, I want a 100mb network that will support showeq from any access point

Dedpoet
10-15-2002, 06:21 AM
This issue has been discussed at length over the last few days. Check the first few threads in this forum.

I use a D-Link DSH-5, which is 10/100. It's not being made any more, but you can mail order them from lots of places. I like it because the blinkenlights are on the front and the ports are on the back. The Netgear EP series of 10/100 hubs also work. They are much easier for find at your standard computer/office supply store. They have the ports in the front though, which I personally don't like as much.

Save yourself some hassle and don't buy a Linksys. I'll probably start some huge argument about how it is possible to make them work, but just take my word for it and stay away from them.

fryfrog
10-15-2002, 07:02 AM
take his word for it and stay away from them! (i should know, i have two!). i like the blinky lights in the front too! with the ports in the back! i think we are peas in a pod... are you a cute girl? a/s/l pic? :)

high_jeeves
10-15-2002, 07:58 AM
I'm using the 10/100 Netgear DS series (DS104 and DS108 both work). I agree with Dedpoet, linksys devices are difficult, so try to avoid them.

--Jeeves

monster69
10-15-2002, 08:09 AM
I have a Linksys EFAH08W (8 port 10/100) that worked fantastic until lightning fried it.

However, due to all the reported problems on this board, I must concur and recommend you steer clear of Linksys.

Monster

Dedpoet
10-15-2002, 11:15 AM
i think we are peas in a pod... are you a cute girl? a/s/l pic? :)

92/m/Siberia

I don't have a pic, but courtesy of Ratt, here is a pic of my car:

http://seq.sf.net/images/dedpoetwiener.jpg

Call me ;)