PDA

View Full Version : Default to middle of zone

TheOne
10-15-2002, 11:26 AM
The ShowEQ always starts me (and holds my character) at loc 0,0. Is this normal? What might be causing it if not and what suggestions might you have for me?

I'm pretty new here and didn't find this when I searched this forum so I assume it's just me.

high_jeeves
10-15-2002, 11:44 AM
You are only seeing one direction of traffic, you probably arent specifying the correct IP address for ShowEQ to sniff.

--Jeeves

TheOne
10-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Tried specifying it both through the ShowEQ interface (network --> EQ client address) and through the startup (showeq xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and by telling ShowEQ to sniff for packets on "next EQ client" but none of those worked. still showing me in the middle of the zone.

Does it work better to start showEQ before or after I start EQ on my windows box? Maybe it would work better to specify the MAC address? Any ideas..Thanks in advance

Cryonic
10-16-2002, 05:10 PM
What is your network setup?

This really does help debug issues like this.

TheOne
10-16-2002, 05:53 PM
I'm on cable going cat5 to the 'uplink' of a hub (not a switch, it's a 4 year old hub) which goes out on 2 seperate lines to my 2 computers (i.e. star network).

I could set up IP Masq but I prefer not to because I don't use both computers all the time and the linux box is a bit light on memory. I'm using RH 8.0 full install.

codepig666
10-16-2002, 06:16 PM
Can you post the exact model of your hub just for validation? Also your network cards too if possible.

TheOne
10-16-2002, 06:24 PM
EW5HUB
Linksys 5 port workgroup hub
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=59&grid=24

The odd thing is that I have to hook the cable line up to the 'uplink' node. Seems odd to me at least. But that shouldn't affect the ability to sniff the packets anyway.

Mr. Suspicious
10-16-2002, 06:47 PM
I'm pretty sure both your computers both use the same IP number. So when you tell your Linux box to sniff IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, it sniffs itself, seeing only the data being send to (from the server to both PCs) and from itself to the server (surprice there, there is no data being send from the ShowEQ box to the server). It never sees the data being send from the EQ box to the server.

Your setup.

-> cable modem -> hub -> PC1/PC2

There should be a routing device between the cable modem and the hub so both machines have a different *internal* IP adress (unless the cable modem itself has routing capabilities) OR you should receive a 2nd IP number from your ISP to assign to the "other" (beit the Windows or the Linux) machine.

codepig666
10-16-2002, 09:17 PM
You have to connect your cablemodem to your uplink port for 2 possible reasons:

1: You have a crossover cable between them.
2: The cablemodem has crossover built into it.

Is Mr. Suspicious right about your IP addresses?

TheOne
10-16-2002, 09:33 PM
cable modem is crossover. checked it. stupid me was thinking with the wrong head. duh.

No, suspicious is not correct; I have 2 different IP addresses on the same subnet mask (i.e. 2 unique DHCP assigned addresses on 1 network).

fryfrog
10-17-2002, 05:44 AM
actually, its more likely to be the linksys "hub" you think you have.

try using another type of cable and hooking it to a REGULAR port.

the cable modem should be 10mbit. if both your seq and eq box are 100mbit this SHOULD actually force the 100mbit segment of the "hub" (its not really a hub) to become a hub and it should work. thats how i get around having 2 linksys hubs and 1 linksys switch.

i think most cable modems have a built in xover, as they are meant to plug directly into a computer. that would explain why you have to hook it to the "uplink" port. if you use an xover cable, you are effectivly double crossing it and making it normal.

the uplink port i suspect is different from the other ports, most likely it is switched itself no matter what speed it runs at or has some other oddness. i think being able to hook it to another port (don't use the uplink/1 port at all (by that, i mean the uplink port shares the same spot with another port, don't use it) should fix it.

also, please READ THE FAQ. if you HAD, you would have noticed the HUGE section on LinkSys hubs and might not have even ASKED this question.

k, thx bye

Mr. Suspicious
10-17-2002, 06:09 AM
Fryfrog:
the cable modem should be 10mbit. if both your seq and eq box are 100mbit this SHOULD actually force the 100mbit segment of the "hub" (its not really a hub) to become a hub and it should work. thats how i get around having 2 linksys hubs and 1 linksys switch.

According to the link it's a 10MB only hub, not a 10/100 device. So I'd venture that's not the problem.

TheOne:
No, suspicious is not correct; I have 2 different IP addresses on the same subnet mask (i.e. 2 unique DHCP assigned addresses on 1 network).

And the DHCP device is.... your Windows Box? Give us all relevant information, you're providing very little to work with here!

S_B_R
10-17-2002, 08:48 AM
By any chance do you have Either of your boxes plugged into Port 5 on your hub?

According to the User's Manual Port 5 and the Uplink port are "Shared". It says if you have anything plugged into the Uplink port you should not use Port 5.

TheOne
10-17-2002, 09:52 AM
Appologies for the sporadic nature of my posts. I'll clarify everything so that it is more concise.

Both my linux and my windows boxes are connected to a 5 port hub which is then connected to my cable modem. Both of my boxes are obtaining DHCP leases from attbi.com for their IP addresses. The hub is a linksys hub. One of the boxes is plugged into the shared port on the hub (port 5) and the hub is connected through the uplink to the cable modem.

I tried switching so that neiter box was plugged into the shared port on the hub and when I did that I could only obtain 1 lease from attbi.com so I suspect that is my problem (I'm only paying for 1 IP address and I guess that by using the shared port I was bypassing attbi's security on that...).

I'm going to fiddle with some settings and see if I can't get it to work with this hub and then I'll go out and spend the money on a real hub. I'll post again when I'm done fiddling with it -). thanks all!

TheOne
10-17-2002, 10:14 AM
Opening my book "troubleshooting network configurations" to page 1 I find: check your cables then your hardware.

I had a bad cat5 cable. replace cat5 cable and make sure I don't have anything plugged into port 5 on my hub and BINGO! I can see where I am. Thanks all, looks like problem is solved!

S_B_R
10-17-2002, 11:51 AM
http://seq.sourceforge.net/images/info.jpg
Glad to be of assistance. :D