PDA

View Full Version : Where did the hottest flame war go?

monster69
10-16-2002, 08:15 AM
Okay, someone fess up. I finally posted in the hottest flame war we have had in 6 months last night only to see the thread "missing" right afterwards.

What gives?

Did a moderator finally get fed up and delete it? Did the thread self destruct?

I mean MisterSpock posted one of the best technical descriptions of hubs and switches and for that reason alone the thread should have been left in there.

Curious minds want to know.

Monster

Mr. Suspicious
10-16-2002, 08:25 AM
That was a flamewar? OMG, times have changed.... what's next?

Posting "Excuse me gently, I would like to kidly ask for assistance" be regarded as an insult? :D

high_jeeves
10-16-2002, 09:11 AM
The bad information in that thread tainted the server harddrive. I guess it had to be excorcised. Unfortunately, they were using a 10/100 device on their network, and that also lead to much of the corruption. (we all know 10/100 devices are crappy... er.. i mean.. they are switches.. er.. i mean.. they are complicated... er.. i mean.. they are blue, and that might confuse a noob, er.. i mean...).

--Jeeves

fgay trader
10-16-2002, 09:16 AM
rofl...

So... which switch should I get that will work with SEQ? :p

fryfrog
10-16-2002, 09:20 AM
anything made by cisco? :)

MisterSpock
10-16-2002, 10:40 AM
I was kinda wondering the same thing myself...

I might not have taken the time to write the post if I had known it was going to be summarily erased. Perrhaps it can be recovered if there is enough interest.

My thanks, though, to those who liked it. If you'd like, I'll post something similar again. This time, I'll keep a copy of it, though, so I don't end up re-doing it!

Cheers!

Ratt
10-16-2002, 12:37 PM
What on earth are you guys talking about?

I've done nothing to any threads in months, and I haven't been keeping up with the help forum much... so I don't even know what thread you are referring to?

high_jeeves
10-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Like I said.. the misinformation made is disappear, it got sucked back into a loophole of reality...

In all seriousness:

There was a thread in the help forum (started by codepig666) that attepted to give information about what hubs to use for ShowEQ. Some of the information in it was incorrect, it was politely corrected by me (really, it was polite, even from me...). Apparently, challenging codepig666, resident godling, was a sin, and so a flamewar insued.. After 4 pages, quite a bit of profanity, and 4 different reasons as to why 10/100 devices couldnt work with ShowEQ (each of which was abandoned when it was proved to be BS), MisterSpock came along and made an excellent post describing in detail the different classes of hubs and switches. More denials and profanity insued, more corrections were made, and the thread went poof.. It disappeared sometime after 3am Eastern this morning.

--Jeeves

Cryonic
10-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Is Ratt the only Admin on the boards? Maybe it was deleted by an admin.

Pigeon
10-16-2002, 03:26 PM
My thanks, though, to those who liked it. If you'd like, I'll post something similar again. This time, I'll keep a copy of it, though, so I don't end up re-doing it!

Please, if it's not too much trouble. =D That was great.

scooby_x
10-16-2002, 04:53 PM
I remember reading through that thread and wondering if I defied all logic and physics because my 10/100 switch has never failed me in SEQ. I missed the informaition given by MisterSpock and would like to look at it.

If nothing else, please bring back the MisterSpock reply

Ratt
10-17-2002, 08:29 AM
Yea, I'm the only one and I didn't touch it...

Something strange is afoot.

Actually, probably not. I suspect that the original post starter deleted the first post, which in turn nukes the whole thread.

I usually turn that off on the boards I run, but mebbe I left it on here?

I'll have to go check that.

monster69
10-18-2002, 06:57 PM
So basically what you're saying is that Codepig666 got his feelings hurt, took his ball back, and went home?

Aw, poor baby.

Monster

Edit: retracted some foolish name calling. Still feel it was idiotic to delete this post. Despite the way it all fell together that was some very valuable information that was wasted.

adenine!
10-18-2002, 07:26 PM
Speaking of missing threads, last night I posted in one in the help forum. It was posted by a guy whose SEQ used to work at work but no longer does; I forgot who it was, sorry. ;) Now the thread has seemingly disappeared, and I can't see why the original poster would have deleted it. Now I've been getting a ton of "too many connected" MySQL errors even though I'd be surprised to find that it's actually over the limit. Is the database fubar or what?

codepig666
10-19-2002, 04:30 PM
I was the one who made the original post that turned into a useless flamefest.

I was reading the last pointless retort to a long string of pointless arguments when I noticed the sig on the post from adenine.

I took it to heart and realized that the entire thread was a complete waste of life (with the exception of Spocks post).

So I clobbered it.

Appologies to Spock. Your post was thoughtful and clear. Perhaps you would reproduce it for everyone.

As for the rest of the namecalling and insult flinging...well, to each his own. All I care about right now is getting through the new decryption problems. =)

Peace

albatross
10-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Use whatever you want.. just set up your linux box as a gateway/firewall for your LAN. Do a few searches for 'NAT' and masquerade on google or ldp.org.

lane
10-28-2002, 03:47 PM
Hey, what's wrong with Cisco switches?

BTW, you could use SEQ with a Cisco switch depending on the model.

Bring on the flames. :)

-Lane

Cryonic
10-28-2002, 04:35 PM
Yes you could. Anyone have $800+ to donate to me so I can have one?

Circles
10-28-2002, 04:59 PM
since most of us are on dsl/cable at home anyway, what i did, and i think is the most simple way of handling it all, is install the linux box as a DNS server/NAT server between my modem and the switch. that way it sees everything, and the rest of the network is at a nice 100mb all the time (the windows boxes at least)

a friend one upped me by finding an old pure 100mb hub on ebay for $17 :)

one other thing my brother did on accedent (hes a end user only) is hook his dsl to a hub, then to both the computers. since the linux box has a fake ip assigned (192.168 range) and the windows machine is set on dhcp, the windows works on dsl, the linux monitors all the traffic, and is completely untraceable by any means since its not really connected :) (true packet sniffer mode)