PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ related downloads for RedHat 7.1/7.2 users

Zaphod
01-01-2002, 01:36 AM
Qt 2.3.2 RPMs compiled with Gcc 3 for RedHat 7.1/7.2 are available at http://www.doomed.to/showeq/

The two RPMS you need for ShowEQ 4.0 are qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm and qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm which are also being mirrored under ftp://azriel.trifocus.net/pub/redhat .

To install the RPMs use the following command:

rpm -ihv qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm

These RPMs install Qt under /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2 so adjust any instructions you are following to use that path. These were compiled with the version of G++ 3.x included with RedHat 7.2.

I've also included a handy dandy shell script for the bash/sh users in the audience called '/opt/bin/useqt232'. Just source it as follows:

$ . /opt/bin/useqt232

To setup the appropriate QT environment variables.

You still need to set the compiler related environment variables for configuring and compiling ShowEQ though.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dophaZ)

lostpacket
01-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Works great!! Full install of RH 7.2 and ShowEQ down to 20 minutes now.

It's so beautiful *sniff*

joeseq1999
01-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Zaphod:

Thank you for this help. I am new to Linux and I am struggling a lot.

If you have a minute, would you kindly post the rpm commands needed to use your rpms? I am unclear what command options I need.

It is this line that I think I don't understand:

"These RPMs install Qt under /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2 so adjust any instructions you are following ..."

I think you mean that the install is under the indicated directory.

Thank you and I am sorry to waste your time. SEQ is a learning expereince for me and I greatly appreciate your time.

casey
01-02-2002, 01:23 PM
type this

"man rpm"

and read it

joeseq1999
01-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Casey,

I did. That is not the problem for me. My problem is that I don't know if anything special is needed for these RPMs. I have no idea how they were made or if anything needs to be done when using them.

The line in the message about the RPMs is strange to me and I am trying to make sure I understand.

casey
01-02-2002, 04:47 PM
and rpm is an rpm is an rpm is an rpm.

It is a standard file format

man rpm, tells you how to use the program rpm which uses these standard files.

If you read the manual (man rpm) you know how to use rpm to manipulate rpm pacakges.

zaphod posted at rpm.

an rpm is an rpm is an rpm is an rpm

it is a standard file format

you know how to use rpm (from above)

use rpm to install the rpm.

Zaphod
01-02-2002, 05:17 PM
What I mean by "These RPMs install Qt under /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2 so adjust any instructions you are following ..." is that if you are following one of the various install guides found within these forums that may refer to paths such as "/usr/local/qt-2.3.2", or "/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2" that you should use the path "/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2" instead.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

joeseq1999
01-02-2002, 05:55 PM
Zaphod,

Thank you greatly sir. That was my confusion. However, it looks like you changed something in the last CVS so I think it works with the old dir structure.

Casey,

I have a suggestion for you now. If you really want to be a "developer" do one of the following:

a. When you see several questions all nearly about the same issue (like the changes in directories in this last series of versions), try to find a way to answer the bigger question. Telling people to RTFM is not going to make all dozen threads go away; or

b. Go take a course on interpersonal communication so you can become a functioning professional.

You will note, Casey, that Zaphod did two things: He put up a new CVS that fixed the "problem" (the directory thing); and he answered the questions he got politely and effectively. You, on the other hand, just caused further waste of bandwidth with your arrogant and unprofessional manner. Don't be sending me any resumes Casey.

Ratt
01-02-2002, 09:58 PM
I think we need a SEQ pool on how long it takes Zaphod to get where Casey and I are. :)

Sure, he's helpful and cheery now, but you just wait :) Thousands of clamoring, whiney people will wear down the stoutest individual over time.

I got $100 on 90 days.

fryfrog
01-03-2002, 05:46 AM
hahah, i hate to go and help defend ratt... :) but i think he's right. pretty much everyone starts out being all nice and stuff, but eventually answering the SAME questions, over and over again will wear you down. sure, casey was a little rough on ya... and could have been nicer... but its his right to be a dick eh? :)

just don't take shit on the internet personally. its that simple. if someone is a dick on the forums, ignore their posts (well, all of the post that doesn't really contain any useful information) and resist the urge to reply back. eventually, if you don't reply to the dicks (no offense, i'm not really talking about casey here) they won't post anything... and if they do, it will quickly move from the top :)

anway, hope ya get your seq4 working and stuff.

SEB9000
01-09-2002, 10:21 AM
Just some words :

Zaphod you are great !
Thank you a lot for those nice RPMs !

Seb9000

FuddRucker
01-12-2002, 10:48 PM
EDIT - Woot, nevermind, I figured it out, thank you rpmfind.net. :)
---
OK, I'm getting dependencies errors when putting in these packages...

can't find the following 3 files:
libgcc_s.so.1
libstdc++.so.3
libgcc_s.so.1

Umm, I assume these are part of a gcc package. can anyone point out what I may need to install to make these files available?

Also, do you have to use qt2.3.2, can you use qt3.0.0? when I ran ./configure under qt3.0.0 it gave a ??? responce that it "might" work. Was hesitant to try it though.

YAN
01-14-2002, 11:53 AM
I encountered the same problem..and what it listed as dependencies seemed rather non-rpm sounding...like the name was truncated. What did you do to solve this?

Yan

FuddRucker
01-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Basically it wasn't too hard...

I went to http://www.rpmfind.net and searched for the libgcc and libstdc++ packages that were listed.

I downloaded the "RawHide 1.0 for i386" Distrabution closest to the top of the list, if that isn't there look for the "RedHat-7.2/1 for i386" and download that file.

use

rpm -ivh <filename>

to install the packages, if it gives you an error you may need to upgrade with:

rpm -Uvh <filename>

After you get those files, try to install Zaphoid's, and keep in mind that you may need to use upgrade. I did, but only because I had attempted to install his files ignoring the warnings. Ya also need to run that script that he mentions above that installs the enviornment variables.

Try your ./configure, you may have to reboot or something.

Fudd

T1homas
08-24-2002, 12:54 AM
Dear Zaphod,

Thank you for all of the work you have done here on the board.

Might I ask you, however, as someone with no programming or Linux experience how do I d/l several remaining RPM's need for RH 7.3 and more importantly, how do I then install them? Is it all done by code?

Using the current version of RH 7.3, it appears that I still need gcc3-c++, gdbm, kernel-headers, libgcc, libstdc++3 and zlib.

Can these packages be found at www.redhat.com/errata? And how do I d/l them and install them?

Please pardon my ignorance in this matter

T1homas
08-24-2002, 01:55 AM
What I have done is to download the missing RPM's I have need to complete the compilation for RH 7.3 from www.rpmfind.net and download these files. Since I have logging in as a local user, rather than in the root directory, I have saved these RPM's in my /home/<localuser> file. I then attempted to install these RPM's from this location, using the rpm -ivh <filename> command, but got the following error messages:

cannot get exlusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm.

I'll keep experimenting on the installation. If in the meantime, you'd like to point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

fryfrog
08-24-2002, 03:22 AM
"sudo su -" or "su -" (you need to become root)

Dedpoet
08-24-2002, 07:27 AM
Try www.rpmfind.net. You will find all of the packages you need there. Download them to a directory (/tmp, for example) and then run the command "man rpm". Read that man page to learn how to install the rpm's...it shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes.

T1homas
08-27-2002, 08:10 PM
I have downloaded all the RPMs listed in the WALKTHROUGH and I have used the rpm -q to insure that they are, in fact, installed on my hda.

I was missing one RPM, that being kernel-headers. which I d/l earlier and got the same error message.

Essentially, I d/l kernel-headers-2.4.18-6.i686.rpm

then I
[] # rpm -i kernel-headers-2.4.18-6.i686.rpm

and got the following error messages:

file/usr/include/asm from install of kernel-headers-2.4.18-6 conflicts with file from package glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16
file/usr/include/linux from install of kernel-headers-2.4.18-6 conflicts with file from package glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16

high_jeeves
08-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Take a look at the docs for rpm, it will explain how to update a package.

--Jeeves

T1homas
08-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Is the workaround for this to use

[ ] # rpm -ivh --replacefiles kernel-headers-2.4.18-6.i686.rpm?

Can you use kernel-headers-2.4.18-6.i686.rpm rather than the older, but recommended 2.4.7-10.i386.rpm?

Mr. Suspicious
08-28-2002, 04:18 AM
Why not use the 2.4.7-10 kernel headers?

found on http://www.rpmfind.net @ http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=kernel-headers&submit=Search+...&system=&arch=

Edit: Noticed: kernel-headers-2.4.18-6.i686.rpm, this matches with the Distro CD you downloaded and installed from? (9:10 that one's i386)

Spreading the same topic over two threads is'nt realy helpfull either.