PDA

View Full Version : Broken on TEST

sakshale
10-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Well, it has started. ShowEQ is broken on TEST.

Listening for first client seen.
Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Filtering packets on device eth0, searching for EQ client...
Loading filters from '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'
No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_unknown.conf'.
Loading default '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'.
GuildMgr: guildsfile loaded
Categories Reloaded
Error opening map file '/usr/local/share/showeq/unknown.map'!
Opcode Logging Mask: 0 0 0

The unknown zone was Butcher Block :)

Cryonic
10-17-2002, 09:09 PM
uhh, you sure that it was seeing the traffic from your EQ box? That looks like just normal startup information. Also SEQ must be running before you zone in (either from char select or moving between zones) to know what zone you are in.

irv
10-17-2002, 09:26 PM
I can confirm that it is broken on test, with no messages other than the regular ones given.

sakshale
10-17-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
uhh, you sure that it was seeing the traffic from your EQ box? That looks like just normal startup information. Also SEQ must be running before you zone in (either from char select or moving between zones) to know what zone you are in.

Yes - Zoned multiple times, to multiple zones, setting it to Monitor Next Client Seen. Each time it saw the client, identified its IP number, and came up with an unknown zone. Everything was working last night.

fox
10-17-2002, 11:29 PM
With the upcoming release of PoP, I'm willing to place a couple of wagers...

1) packet structure was changed in a way to deliberately break SEQ.

2) it will probably stay broken for at least a week or two, if not a little longer. (4 weeks would be a safe bet, I think?)

Why? To make people go and explore the new places somewhat, as blind as everyone else who isn't cheating. Make everyone start on the same footing, etc etc etc.

And honestly, that's a really good idea.

Folks will no doubt complain that they can't cheat. Boo hoo. I use SEQ a lot, and I'm gonna be a bit sore without it too. Just take a couple asprin, drink some juice, have a loose meat sandwich.

And for crissake, go have FUN, explore the new zones, experience them like they were intended - at least for a little while.

SEQ will be back up and running before you know it.

wuff.

oh, and for the curious, the patch that did this on test occured between 15:30 and 18:30 PDT.

EQDoze
10-18-2002, 07:26 AM
I've posted the OpCode changes to get mapping working in the Development section. Not going to push it much further than that...

---
EQDoze .oO(Zzz...)

MeTh_HeD
10-20-2002, 09:17 PM
New expansions are no fun when people can see everything on the first day! Whoever fixes the encryption, I hope they don't release it right away.

BlueAdept
10-20-2002, 09:33 PM
From what I hear, the new encryption is not going to be a walk in the park. Hopefully it can be "fixed" without having to sit in a zone for hours and hours..

Gullork
10-20-2002, 10:30 PM
New expansions are no fun when people can see everything on the first day! Whoever fixes the encryption, I hope they don't release it right away.

I have to disagree with this. First off, if the devs or any other talented person comes up with the new encryption, it should be their decision to post it or not. Personally, if I were talented enough to program, and talented enough to find the new encryption method, I'd post it immediately. There are many reasons, here are just a few:

Not everyone (probably not even half) are even going to have the expansion by the time that the 'waiting' period you suggest is over, either by shipping delays, waiting list delays, or whatever.

Not everyone is even going to buy it anytime soon. You need to be level 46 or over to even get much more use than an extended transportation system out of the expansion and a few quests. There are a significant amount of seq users that do not have the minimum requirements (level or computer or financial) to even want to buy the expansion just yet. Percentage wise it may be small, but it still adds up to quite a few users.

Many of the new zones have not only been mapped, but some of them even have images posted in the mapping forum, so we already know the layout of many of the zones. There is little surprise there.

But, most importantly, is the very NATURE of this expansion. The zones in this expansion are progressive. I've read this several times. What this means, is you follow the story, finish tasks in the first zone before getting to go to the next... rinse repeat. So, how long should we wait? Until half of us have fought our way through half of the zones? That might be quite some time unless you are already level 60 with tons of AA points and in an uber guild. I know that many of us qualify with that, but even so, the new zones are going to be so crowded that it will still take quite some time to finish the necessary tasks.

So, my vote is: Who ever is intelligent and skillful enough to solve the new encryption, I hope you post it.

HOWEVER, that is just my vote. I'll stand by any of the devs decision either way. Without their hard work, this tool wouldn't even exist.

P.S. Oh and the new expansion will still be plenty fun. If using seq ruins it for you in the new zones, then don't use it in the new zones.

Exo
10-21-2002, 12:08 PM
Ratt's the lead, if he asks it to be held it will be held. Vote all you like.

LordCrush
10-21-2002, 12:30 PM
/nod Exo,

for all - donīt discuss whether ist has to be relasead now or when - IMHO the most important is that it purely possible :/

and that is not poven right now ... it is surly possible for Sony or VI (btw. did Sony buy VI ?) to implement an encryption that takes to long to be cracked by brute force :(

If Ratt decides to let it be broken for a couple of weeks - go look on eqatlas and explore the new world !

/Cheer to the dev-team - I hope you can fix it again
/bump

Jel321
10-21-2002, 12:45 PM
Yah, Sony bought VI and stuck em in the On-Line entertainment group.

I don't care about decrypting the zones for spawns and such but I sure do miss knowing where i am in the zones :) (this isnt a vote btw)

Exo
10-21-2002, 01:09 PM
the only thing I miss really is spell timers, and I'll have those before long.

Jel321
10-21-2002, 01:32 PM
Exo said "the only thing I miss really is spell timers"

This is something I would have thought they would add to client by now. Im surprised with the timers I have seen with the new UI that someone hasnt cobbled something together.

Gullork
10-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Like I said....

HOWEVER, that is just my vote. I'll stand by any of the devs decision either way. Without their hard work, this tool wouldn't even exist.

I just wanted to show the other side of the coin lol. Good luck guys! :)

kaos057
10-21-2002, 06:14 PM
How do you change the op codes?

Cryonic
10-21-2002, 06:31 PM
Edit the source code for SEQ and recompile.

Intruder
10-22-2002, 10:34 AM
My vote is that everyone can decide by themself if they want to
use showeq or not. Personally I Would like to use ShowEQ as Im not going to PoP in near future, it takes still like 1 month before
its available in Europe if you dont order it from States. :(

P.S. Could some one send me updated opcodes.h ? =)
Or whats the trick how to find them out :)

S_B_R
10-22-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Intruder
P.S. Could some one send me updated opcodes.h ? =)
Or whats the trick how to find them out :)

Man it's been Along time since I got to do this..

S E A R C H (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=)

hint: look in the development forum

e@tme
10-22-2002, 11:41 AM
*Grin* :P :P :P

Intruder
10-22-2002, 11:44 AM
LOL, did that allrdy, but theres only few new opcodes available :)

S_B_R
10-22-2002, 12:32 PM
That's all the functionality you're going to get until the devs post an update...

SomeNecro
10-23-2002, 02:32 AM
I gotta agree with Gullork. I've not been able to use SEQ since the patches but still having as much fun. His posts reflect my feelings 100 pct, and already been to PoD and PoI, don't have the will for PoF yet =P.

Just takes me a little longer to travel now! =)