PDA

View Full Version : Location Delving Code for Windows (Sorta Off Topic)

Zanthor
10-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Greetings,

I'm the developer of TradeHelper for DAOC and a few other small applications. Most of what I've done is really simple compaired to the packet sniffing that SEQ does. I have recently started playing EQ again and while I used to run SEQ constantly, I have no desire to delve THAT far back into the scene.

The only feature I miss is the map feature. I've found an application called MapX that loads the maps that SEQ uses, and currently it supports parsing the logfile to display where you are on the map. I'm working with the author to robustify it a little bit, adding network support similar to UOAutoMap (Lets friends network their maps so they see where each other are).

It's all based on /loc being read through the logfile still... My current plans are to leave that feature in, because thats quite simply the only LEGAL way to do it. However I wanted to leave an interface in the program that loads a module if it's there, and thats where I need the SEQ communitys help.

Is there anyone out there with the knowledge to either point me in the right direction to create a library, or to pass me a prebuilt library that would return the current location of the player?

*Slides into asbestos underwear*

Thanks,

Cryonic
10-20-2002, 11:25 PM
Neither SEQ, nor any log parser or sniffer are ILLEGAL. You won't go to jail for having one (at least not yet). They are against the EULA with VI for playing EQ, but then again, they can ban you for any reason or no reason at all.

eq_freak
10-21-2002, 07:46 AM
http://macroquest.sourceforge.net

Look at the source and you should be able to write something that reads that current location from eq memory easily.

Zanthor
10-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Cryonic
Neither SEQ, nor any log parser or sniffer are ILLEGAL. You won't go to jail for having one (at least not yet). They are against the EULA with VI for playing EQ, but then again, they can ban you for any reason or no reason at all.
While I fully understand the legalities of sniffing your own network traffic, I also fully understand that by the laws of Norath, SEQ is illegal. They can banish you from the world to punish you for breaking their laws (Or just about any other reason).

Originally posted by eq_freak
Look at the source and you should be able to write something that reads that current location from eq memory easily.
Thanks, I'll look into that!