PDA

View Full Version : Help please!! Please read!

Madman
10-23-2002, 12:18 PM
hehe. Figure all the devs came to flame cause of the subject in this forum so it was just used to get your attention. This really is a Dev question.
I work for the US govt and work hard when I'm suppose to. But in that 8 hour shift there is a good 4 hours of downtime. In this time I bs alot but lately been reading. The rh7.2 bible, tv crosswords, Maxim.. Where am I going with this? Well, I want to stop being one of those people waiting and exploiting and be one who can be doing some things to help here. Everyone starts somewhere (even you) and this is my start. So all I want in reply is the best books to buy to help me get a grasp on the coding (which is what I was good at in college but obsolete now) and anything else that can help me contribute to this forum. My plan is to donate to the cause a monotary value, which I still will when I get settled in, but need a hobby for work. Thanks dev team

Guinney
10-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Try running a search for programming languages....

that will point you to a thread that has several books listed. I'm not a developer or even a worthwhile coder but maybe that thread will help.

baelang
10-23-2002, 06:37 PM
how long ago wat the coding you were good at?

onece you have a firm grasp of any programing language, it is relatively easy to pick up another one.

seq is done in C/C++. and you might need to get used to the object "method" of programing, but it really isn't that hard.

I think the best thing to do is go into the src directory and start reading the code, with a good C reference manual in one hand and make notes to yourself on paper as to what everything is doing and how it is put together. that is what i am working on now.

jeffc02
10-23-2002, 07:57 PM
http://www.smoothwall.org/download/...9.9/doc.faq.pdf

Ask Jeeves

CyberT
10-23-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by jeffc02
http://www.smoothwall.org/download/...9.9/doc.faq.pdf

Ask Jeeves

Link is broken. I've got a pdf of Advanced Linux Programming if anyone is interested. My email address is in my profile.

CyberT

Madman
10-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys. I was into Visual Basic and this should be like riding a bike. So I'll go with those leads and when I have a grasp will be around to help the team.

addicted.to.eq
10-23-2002, 08:55 PM
thats not a BROKEN link, thats an incomplete link... :)

sorry , couldnt resist :)

i think the goal of jeffc02 was that you should read the first part of this pdf... how to ask the correct questions...smile

CyberT
10-23-2002, 09:23 PM
heh. absent minded clicking i suppose. just assuming a link would work. after I posted that message, i noticed the '..' in the link.

CyberT

"Thank you for the attitude adjustment Chief Earl. Info assimilated..."

Madman
10-24-2002, 12:00 AM
I read that allready. hmmm dev question in dev forum. Question asks basically "what is the latest and best place to begin". Unless you wanted me to pursue the search of all the old threads with outdated resources.. hmm no your to smart to mean that. Well gee, I'm donating money, make maps, and never bitch but yet get patronized ( meaning the link to the pdf of where you pretty much say I waste your time) when I ask a simple and direct question in regards to better myself in helping out the project. Heres one from all the noobs trying to help.. If you don't like the question or the 20 seconds it takes to read it and unless its a REAL bad question then ignore the damn thing. I was just trying to help.

To the rest of you guys who posted. thank you.