PDA

View Full Version : Old Encryption Info?

Blaze
10-28-2002, 12:04 PM
Now that it looks like the encryption has changed alot, and the old way of doing things is pretty much useless, would it be possible for someone to kindof create a timeline or something with information about libEQ, and EQ's encryption, how the old stuff worked, what they changed, etc.

I would love to hear about what all has gone on since the start of SEQ.

Of course you probably don't want to let people know info that could be used to make a libEQ.dll, but any information you can release would be appreciated.

Yueh
10-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Dang, you beat me to it :) I am also really curious what tricks were used to crack the original encryption. Assuming the new encryption is different of course ;)

seqseq
10-28-2002, 01:33 PM
I'd prefer that this didn't happen. Anything to keep Sony off our butts is my preference.

It's not that I want us all to stay stupid or anything--far from it. I just want to avoid anything that might bring any heat down on the dev team.

They get enough crap as it is.

Yueh
10-28-2002, 01:36 PM
Totally agreed. But not having any idea what was involved, we don't know if the particular hole exploited would generate any heat. If so then obviously we'll just stay in the dark and say "Awesome job guys and thanks for your unending dilligence :) "

JustACoder
10-28-2002, 01:39 PM
just compare old files with new files. I usually keep an archive of updates just incase we ever for some odd reason must roll back a few steps.

sam
10-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Check out different revisons of the cvs... all the old code is there I think, so it should be easy to get it along with the old comments posted when the files were checked in.

Blaze
10-28-2002, 02:33 PM
except all the decryption is done in libEQ which is not in cvs.

Numbnuts
10-28-2002, 05:41 PM
Ratt had said that they will not make libeq.a public.

Because if you figure out how libeq works. you are one step away from making ShowEQ Windows. Hence you are one step away from Verant banning a whole bunch of people.

So you probably won't see libEQ code go public.

Yueh
10-28-2002, 05:58 PM
I think the original thought was, "If it is completely different now, what was the old trick just for curiosity sake." If it isn't completely different, never mind...

Quagmire
10-28-2002, 07:10 PM
The decrypt function is pretty similar, but the key finding algorithm is completely new.

I dont think the old versions will be released, there's no compelling reason for the devs to.

Blaze
10-28-2002, 09:36 PM
I understand the reasons behind keeping libEQ closed, and the reasons for keeping it under wraps.

My hope was to hear about any information they could release about old information that is not usefull anymore.

SEQ vs EQ is quite the arms race, and I would love to hear more about it.

throx
10-29-2002, 05:48 PM
Hint: libeq.a isn't that large. Just disassemble it if you want to know how it works.