PDA

View Full Version : Problems getting new version.

Vitter
10-28-2002, 06:08 PM
When I saw the new versions of SEQ (4.3.0) and libEQ.a posted on the announcement boards I proceeded to update in my very normal way which include:

(LIBEQ)
cd /usr/lib
rm libEQ.a
wget http://www.doomed.to/showeq/libEQ.a

(SHOWEQ)
cd /usr/local/share
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
cvs login
cvs checkout showeq
cd showeq
export QTDIR=/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2
make clean
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

The compilation went error-free and I loaded up SEQ like normally. But I noticed I still had the old version (4.2.6). No SEQ feature would work, including map recognition and decoding.

At this point I searched and found a different update method (one similar to the one posted in the FAQ) and after recompilation I still had the old version (4.2.6).

Is there something I am forgetting to do to be able to get the new version to download and compile properly?

kaos057
10-29-2002, 02:27 PM
try using "cvs -z3 update" instead of checkout showeq

*edit* also just noticed you arent installing to a showeq directory unless that is your showeq directory

suprphrk
10-29-2002, 02:50 PM
Were you able to do this? I can't even resolve doomed.to anymore.

*edit* FYI: I was looking thru some junk, and I came across why doomed.to is not working:

The name doomed.to expires on Fri Oct 18 12:59:59 2002.

Anyone know if this has been relocated somewhere else? */edit*

Mr. Suspicious
10-29-2002, 04:10 PM
Anyone know if this has been relocated somewhere else? */edit*

Silly suggestion: Read the README.libEQ file?

suprphrk
10-29-2002, 04:56 PM
Great advice.... If i were looking for the libEQ.a file. But then I would just go to smurfette, since that site's been good for that file for a while.

Unfortunately, neither smurfette or azriel have some other files that I'm looking for that were on doomed.to. So, when I used the search feature that you mention so frequently (for doomed.to to see if anyone had an updated place to download the files), I came across this thread. I posted this information here because I saw the link for doomed.to and just thought I'd let everyone know that it wasn't around anymore.

But thanks for letting everyone know (again) to look in that handy file for where to get the libEQ.a file if they need it. Now if you have some USEFUL information like if you were the owner of doomed.to and can tell us if you moved your domain or if it was mirrored somwhere, feel free to post it. Otherwise don't waste db space with flames like this.

Repard
10-29-2002, 07:08 PM
Read the DAMN README file and learn where you need to go to get what you need to get!!! It's all there if you actually look. It's all right there under your nose. Everything is that you need. Just use the README and the Search button. This has been said soooooooo many times.

suprphrk
10-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Hey, thanks for all the help... Really, your information was wonderful. I asked a simple question... not how do I install it, not why isn't it working, but does anyone know if the site had been changed/moved.

I found the files, not by using the README or the search, as I've mentioned they both pointed me to "http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-" etc, etc.

I didn't really even need these files too badly, it's just how my script was set up by me to point to them. And for the mentally Reparded, I'll repeat again: I SET UP MY OWN SCRIPT, SO THE README FILE AND THE SEARCH DOESN'T REALLY APPLY TO ME.

I got it working, using my own system and commands. Thanks to tgf, I had something to build on.

/em wonders how many monkeys are assigned to flip the switch that posts "Read the README. Use the search" even when they know nothing about the problem at hand.

By the way, I have a script and the files needed for an automated install and update (when applicable). Send me a PM or email if you'd like it.

Repard
10-29-2002, 07:58 PM
Isn't this amazing. I must have the only different Readme file cause mine says

1.3 Downloading qt-2.3.2
Download qt-2.3.2 at ftp.trolltech.com and extract it to it's own
directory.

Code:

[]# cd /usr/lib/
[]# wget --passive ftp ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz
[]# tar zxvf qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz

I wonder how that's possible? Me with the only different one or you who doesn't know how to look and find out for yourself? Gratz on setting up your own script but when you come here asking questions that MANY people have answered before then expect the flames to fly high. People get tired of answering the same questions over and over and over again because you're too lazy to search or read.

Here is what it says when you first log on to this site:

Read this before asking any questions. Then use use this. After you have read and used both options, then and ONLY then should you ask your question. If your question is answered in either of those two locations, EXPECT TO BE FLAMED for being too stupid to read. You have been warned.

Fortuantely I didn't write that nor have I ever been flamed cause I READ!! And I use the SEARCH AND README. For over a year I have been reading and searching. Makes it alot easier. I've spent countless hours searching and reading to know what I do now and I'm fine with that. gl

suprphrk
10-29-2002, 08:18 PM
Ok, Repard. Prove to me that you really can READ. READ my previous post which READs:

http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-" etc, etc
and then read your post which READs:

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz
Notice any difference here? I'M LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT FILE ALTOGETHER, ONE NOT LISTED IN THE README OR README.LIBEQ.

This file contains different stuff than your file. That's why it's named different. That's also why it was almost impossible to find. ERGO:
[list=1]
You didn't even see my question. My question was: Has this specific site moved?
How can MANY people have answered this before, if the site just came down Friday October 18, and when you do a search on the NAME OF THE SITE it turns up 2 or 3 threads, with nothing to do about the site being gone?
About what it says when you first log onto the site: That's cool, and I do that. That's why you only see 15 posts by my name, because I'm usually silent unless I have some USEFUL insight/information or someone completely Reparded (thanks for the new term) jumps on here and starts running their mouth without even READING (see how I tied that in to what it says on the first page?) the post.
Possibly the reason you've never been flamed is because at the time this was posted you had only posted 6 things on this board, and never attempted to flame anyone else. I am convinced now that it is NOT because you read the posts, or this wouldn't have even come up.
[/list=1]
I guess I have to repeat this for you too now:

"It's called reading, left to right, top to bottom. A group of words together is a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches, Midol for any cramps."

"Don't assume. When you assume, you just make an ass of u and me."

Mr. Suspicious
10-30-2002, 06:00 AM
The most funny thing I read in months:

And for the mentally Reparded, I'll repeat again: I SET UP MY OWN SCRIPT, SO THE README FILE AND THE SEARCH DOESN'T REALLY APPLY TO ME.

Vitter
10-30-2002, 11:20 AM
The problem is NOT my libEQ.a. I was able to successfully download the 10/28 libEQ.a from the doomed.to site. Also I did try using cvs -z3 update, as I used the method found in the FAQ.

/usr/local/share/showeq IS my showEQ directory, I have been using that for quite a long time, and have successfully compiled many updates into that directory. For some reason this time around my SEQ version is stuck at 4.2.6, instead of 4.3.0 being compiled.

I even tried removing my entire /usr/local/share/showeq directory and every file inside of it, and reinstalling from scratch, and it STILL only installs 4.2.6 (I know it's a fresh install since all of my settings were reset to default.)

suprphrk
10-31-2002, 09:32 AM
Try renaming/moving/deleting /usr/local/bin/showeq*

I move the following whenever i delete/reinstall:

/usr/lib/libEQ.a -> /usr/lib/libEQ.a.bak
/usr/local/share/showeq -> /usr/local/share/seqbak
/usr/local/bin/show* -> /usr/local/bin/seqbak/show*
/seq -> /seqbak

Depending on how many versions you have installed in the past, you may want to make sure and delete /usr/local/lib/libEQ.a if it exists (although this should have nothing to do with your problem, it's still good to look for and delete anyway).

Also may want to try "make clean" first, even though with the above method I have never done that.

Chyran
11-01-2002, 05:46 AM
Hey man, sorry I didnt read everything here, but maybe that helps: kick Your old showeq executable (rm) and then compile and make install.

dork
11-01-2002, 07:10 AM
I ended up having to register for this post.

suprphrk,
I would say that the README files and SEARCH function applies to everyone.. and so does common sense.

/Flame=on
If you reread your first post you will find that you quoted someone looking for the libEQ.a file asking if this worked and that you couldn't even resolve. Just being a dork here.. it looks like all the posts in this thread ARE relevant since you didn't clarify till later that you were NOT looking to resolve the host name for doomed.to for the libEQ.a file.

Once you clarified that you were looking for a certain file, in my dorky opinion all of us Redarded people did have valid input because common sense would state that if you are looking for something, search for it first, then to go to the source and download it and compile it on your system instead of complaining to thousands of people that you can't download something that you should be able to compile yourself.

Not to paraphrase the developers or anything but if you search or read long enough they state over and over that if you can't figure out some of this stuff on your own you shouldn't be running it.

I think there would've been a lot less "wasted db space" if you had simply asked if the files had been moved to another server instead of flaming everyone for trying to deduce what your question really was.

So since the search function and the README files do not really apply to you then I find it hard to believe that you could possibly have solved your problem by using the search function.
/Flame=off

So please, if you are having a problem, please post specifically what you need and have tried, even what linux platform and version you are using. Because ESP don't work through the internet.

I know that I am stupid and ignorant and can't read posts etc that you will flame me about, but my showeq does work for quite a while. And it is all by reading all the README files and by using the search functions of this board and common sense.

suprphrk
11-01-2002, 09:41 AM
Wow, a guy named "dork" actually made a little sense here. Probably because he wasn't sarcastic and completely Reparded about it all.

My first post: I guess it wasn't too clear here that I was looking for a mirror to a complete directory instead of just a file. The files I was looking for I could compile seperately if I wanted to, and have before. My problem was that I built my Linux box differently then most and needed to download and compile a bunch of stuff. These files (qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm and qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm) made it so much easier to just get 2 files and rpm them instead of recompiling anything. Not only that, but I could create a script (or use tgf's and build what I need to add on there). So these files made it great, but unfortunately are only mentioned on a couple of posts in here and all of those posts point to doomed.to's website, which (last I checked a few days ago) was down. So my original question should have been "Does anyone know why doomed.to is down, or where else I can get files xxx and yyy?

I do realize that the search still applied to me, and I used it. I did a search for the specific files that I needed, they all still pointed back to doomed.to. I can't really ask for help with those files in ANY way, because it has been made known that if you use this method or your own script, you will not be supported. This makes complete sense to me, I don't have a problem with this. I don't create a VB project and then ask Microsoft why it isn't working, I just gotta figure it out myself. And since this isn't mentioned in the README, I can't really ask for help on it either. So I guess I worded it wrong: The search still applies to me (in piecing together info to build my script and getting files), but I can't really search or go to the readme for something that's not there. Therefore, the search didn't apply to my question and the README didn't apply to the files or method I was using.

As far as figuring the stuff out on my own, I think I have done very well with it. I have installed a barebone system without anything but x installed, and have pieced together a fully functioning firewall, gateway, dhcp, dns, samba, print server that just happens to run showeq as the packets pass through (didn't like some of the built-in RH8.0 utils :). And all of this with just 1 posted question that didn't even get answered until I found Tonga's registrar for domains, and found that doomed.to had expired.

My main problem is that people don't answer questions here, they assume everyone is an idiot and assume that just since I had libEQ.a in the quote that I was looking for libEQ.a. But I also had doomed.to in the quote, and that's what I was actually looking for. So by the same logic they should have assumed that I was looking for it, or even for that matter assumed I was looking for a folder called showeq since it was mentioned too. :) I guess everyone's not a computer though. <-- needs to change jobs

I've seen 1 good thing come from Mr. Suspicious and it wasn't on the forums but in a README file included the CVS. Granted I haven't looked through every post, but the majority of what I've seen just appears that he only logs in here and tries to flame anything he can find without even reading the problem correctly (have personally had problems with this in the past, so maybe I just have it in for him). And the little Repard that jumped in here... whoa. He just started going off about an issue that I don't think he really even understood. I can't believe a post pissed him off so much that he would just post a rant like that. Maybe Repard needs a different job too ?? :) I just hate people like that, and had to point out what a Repard he was being about the whole thing. Then he came back with something completely off topic, and I lost it. So in that way I'm no better, just posted while pissed off.

Anyway, thanks for not being completely rude, sarcastic, and Reparded about this. Gave me a chance to explain why I said what I did and what I was trying to bring across. I still have these files and the script (though my ftp and web aren't working right now for the outside world, a minor thing I'll get to later). If anyone needs them, send an email or a PM. It does work and my showeq works great again! Thanks to all who contributed to the project continuity!

dork
11-01-2002, 10:02 AM
NP, I sometimes don't like the one liners either but they are usually correct.
All I would do is ask that everyone read through posts and see how many times simple questions can be answered by the README and search functions. Then go and start answering all of these questions. You too will be flamed for helping. Eventually you will start using one line quotes too pointing to the README and search functions. :)
And don't deny that you will eventually. Hehe.

You are very correct about the VB app and trying to get support for your application. The same applies here on SEQ. This is not a hacking site nor a site designed with the intent on cheating. It is a sight designed toward learning the art of breaking encryption. This sight from what I have learned is geared toward self learning and if people just get all the answers, what have they really learned?

Cheers all. Keep up the good work.

Mr. Suspicious
11-01-2002, 10:04 AM
My main problem is that people don't answer questions here, they assume everyone is an idiot and assume that just since I had libEQ.a in the quote that I was looking for libEQ.a

So it's someone elses fault that you don't write your posts clearly?

Exactly tell me how: "Read README.libEQ perhaps" doesn't answer the your question:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you able to do this?

Then you question people's intents and state the obvious untruths:

I found the files, not by using the README or the search, as I've mentioned they both pointed me to "http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-" etc, etc.

Above quote makes it very clear that you didn't read the README nor the serach, nor even looked in the FAQ, because NON of them points anyone to doomed.to. And you know what? There's a reason non of them (nor the README.libEQ) points you to doomed.to

After that you go on insulting everyone around and now you've receieved that same courtasy back from other visitors, are playing the innocent puppy that's been kicked by everyone. Silly behaviour IMO. Please look through the posts I made (the ones you reflect to as: "not worthy the bandwidth") and see that if you read them, actually read them, they also tell you exactly where to find the answer to the questions.

Where everything all boils down to tho is:

"Don't assume. When you assume, you just make an ass of u and me."

You come here and assume that EVERY post that's replied to your post is a flame, even if it's not. Reply to them with a real flame and then when people get offensive, start booh-boohing because they flame you. I suggest you start practising what you preech.

suprphrk
11-01-2002, 02:44 PM
I took yours as a flame because you've flamed me before, and because your post started with a sarcastic "Silly question:" remark. Repard's response was a flame if I've ever seen one. Don't matter, I shouldn't have exploded like I did. Here a flame, there a flame, everywhere a flame flame, shouldn't get the best of anyone, it's just to be expected no matter what you do. Couple things tho:

So it's someone elses fault that you don't write your posts clearly?
This is a good point, I blamed flames on something I didn't type right.

Above quote makes it very clear that you didn't read the README nor the serach, nor even looked in the FAQ, because NON of them points anyone to doomed.to.
I did read the README, and it wasn't there. But neither was the file I was looking for, and the way I wanted to install showeq my way. The FAQ doesn't mention it at all either, but it also doesn't help my situation with my script, my way, blah blah blah. As far as NONE of the searches pointing to doomed.to, check these out that I found via search:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2179 (this thread, first post)
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273 (12-page GREAT place to find a script, or create one based on instructions there)
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1454 (contains the following quote from Mr. Suspicious)

Humbug! Smurfette, Azriel and doomed.to are the only Official spots to get your libEQ.a from. No disrespect to Blue Adept, but untill his mirror is mentioned in the README.libEQ I'm not touching it (and besides Smurfette *and the others* ARE the spots Blue Adept gets his libEQ.a from)

My search was for "qt-gcc3", since that was the file I was originally looking for. But, again: that wasn't really made clear, I thought I was clear but looking back I can see how I know what I said, but that's because I know what I was thinking. Confused yet? :)

Anyway, gonna stop this flamewar/rant with: I apologize to Suspicious. And I guess Repard meant well, but I'm still gonna use that term, I like it now ;) And I apologize to Vitter for getting off topic.

Mr. Suspicious
11-02-2002, 07:08 AM
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthre...=&threadid=1454 (contains the following quote from Mr. Suspicious)

Humbug! Smurfette, Azriel and doomed.to are the only Official spots to get your libEQ.a from. No disrespect to Blue Adept, but untill his mirror is mentioned in the README.libEQ I'm not touching it (and besides Smurfette *and the others* ARE the spots Blue Adept gets his libEQ.a from)

Ofcourse you will find references to "old" places where you could get it from if you search back deep enough. If you actually followed the advice and looked in the most current README.libEQ (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seq/showeq/README.libEQ?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup)* (the documentation, that's updated everytime there is a change, quite opposate to "outdated" messages that don't update themselves) you would have seen that since Mon Oct 28 16:21:42 2002 (a day before this thread started) doomed.to isn't listed as one of the official download sites.

* When you read this, this version of the file might be already outdated. Please browse the CVS repository (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seq/) or cvs the latest source for the most current version of the file.

But, again: that wasn't really made clear, I thought I was clear but looking back I can see how I know what I said, but that's because I know what I was thinking. Confused yet?

No, not confused at all. I am quite aware that people think they say (or type) what they are thinking, but actually say (or type) something completely different. It happens everywhere and has lead (and will lead) to working related arguments, divorces, murders, wars and even flames on messageboards. It happens everywhere, but seems to be "standard" on messageboards.