PDA

View Full Version : How to Upgrade to new SEQ from Old?

ShaqNewb
10-29-2002, 06:25 AM
Hello SEQ Crowd!
My first post, so THANKS for keeping this alive! All the work you do is amazing. The threads are full of info even a newb like myself can understand, until recently atleast :(

I have been happily running Showeq for months now on RedHat7.2, BTW HUGE THANK YOU to tgf, your "how to" was right on the money had no issues at all just straight up installed.

I have been following the threads since PoP came out and VI decided to change things up. I understand that there is a new libEQ.a, I think I got it too, date on it was 28 OCT 02.

*edit*
Got it from here:
ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a
*edit*

I replaced my old one in /usr/lib went to:
cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
then did a: cvs checkout showeq
Finally recompiled with the new libEQ.a
It doesnt work :(

Can someone spell it out for me? I am sure another "How To" except this time a "How To" for previous users like myself. RedHat7.2 installed from the previous How to, can upgrade to the latest version, would be much appreciated by all.

Thanks in advance!
ShaqNewb

domesticbeer
10-29-2002, 07:29 AM
First verify the md5sum of the libEQ.a If you have multiple copies in the directory that you are wgeting to it will not be named libEQ.a

Mr. Suspicious
10-29-2002, 08:34 AM
I replaced my old one in /usr/lib went to:
cvs -dserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
then did a: cvs checkout showeq
Finally recompiled with the new libEQ.a
It doesnt work

Would work if you followed the correct steps. BTW: "It doesn't work" does in no way give away any details about what experiences you are having. Does your Linux box no longer bootup? Can't start X? Be more precise, people do not have magical crystal balls they can look into and see what the problem is you are having.

Topic: How to Upgrade to new SEQ from Old?

Read the INSTALL.newbies file found in your ShowEq directory (or via webbased CVS access here (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seq/showeq/INSTALL.newbies?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup)) Especially chapter 3:

3. Updating
3.1 Getting a new libEQ.a
3.2 Updating ShowEQ from cvs

ShaqNewb
10-29-2002, 08:44 AM
kk, When I got the file it asked if I wanted to replalce it, I said yes. So my assumption was it replaced it. I will double Checka it though.

I have been thinking about just updating to RH 8.0, I am a little concerned about the sys requirements. My Linux box is somewhat of a POS, I refer to it as my bitch box. It is an AMD 450 384mb Ram with a 9 gig HD, I currently run dual boot Win98 SE and RH7.2, each OS shares half the drive.

Might I solve my problem my updating to RH8.0 and just installing ShowEQ fresh? Would RH8.0 be too much? Any imput greatly appreciated.

Of course as soon as I start to write this response there comes an obvious answer! Didnt even know there was such a thing as a Install.newbies Will check that out :)
Edit*
Linux boots fine, everything else works fine. When I start ShowEQ it just kinda sits there. When i tried setting it to listen for the next EQclient, then zoned. It did pick up the IP addy of my EQ box, but didnt do much else. No errors, no unknown.map none of that just said Found Client at my.ip.adress and kinda sat.

Gonna follow the directions a bit closer, I kinda took things into my own hands and thought I was doing the right thing, I went looking for Readme's ( when in doubt read the readme ) Didnt find any that seemed to help. Didnt think to just look for .newbies Will check it out and reoprt back!

I hate it when the answer is obvious =/

domesticbeer
10-29-2002, 09:39 AM
Ok so your linux box and SEQ Client are detecting the network stream. The new decryption routines do brute force the key so, it may be bogged down with recieveing the stream and trying to brute force it.

slartibartfast
10-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Umm, Did u install the new version after u compiled it?

I.E. did u type

make install

- If not you are probably still running the old version...

nah, thats too obvious, he would have done that surely...

Glemir
10-29-2002, 11:16 AM
I'm a newb and new to all this, but..... doesn't libEQ.a belong in the following loc????

/usr/local/lib

Cryonic
10-29-2002, 12:39 PM
The configure script looks for it in 3 places. The current directory, /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib. Choose one of those 3 places and ONLY put the file in that ONE place. Minimizes the headache of upgrading.

P.S. libEQ.a is only needed while you are compiling SEQ. After that it isn't used on your system (as it is statically linked into the SEQ binary).

ShaqNewb
10-30-2002, 04:44 AM
It works!

The problems uncovered:
1) I did have multiple copies of the libEQ.a in usr/lib. They were named succesionally but once I removed the libEQ.a.1,.2 and so on things cleared up a little.

2) After solving the libEQ.a problem I ran into moc probs. Solution was to reinstall the packages.

In the end, it read the new libEQ.a, moc problems handled, ShowEQ, a.k.a Shaq, Running quite well now! Even on my old bitch box I get zone data decoded in a matter of seconds :)

Thanks for the help!