PDA

View Full Version : RedHat 8.0 & 10/28 SEQ

Howdy
10-29-2002, 12:13 PM
Anyone using RedHat 8.0 and yesterday's version of ShowEQ and getting segmentation faults?

It's really frustrating me. When I originally installed ShowEQ about a month ago on RedHat 8, it worked great. Then, about a week or so before PoP was released, I started getting segmentation faults, and then of course everything broke when PoP came out.

Well now, I have deleted everything from the machine, re-installed ShowEQ from scratch yesterday, and I am getting the segmentation faults again. These are the steps that I followed to install it:

----------
cd /usr/lib
wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a
wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a.md5
mkdir /seq
cd /seq
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroo /seq
cvs login
*** (hit return at the password prompt) ***
cvs checkout showeq
cd showeq
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install
-----------

I'm just wondering if maybe I have overlooked something obvious or what ... ShowEQ comes up, when I zone it loads the new map, and sometimes decodes all of the spawns, and then it crashes. Sometimes it doesn't crash for a few minutes, sometimes it crashes immediately. I am running this on a P3 550 with 256 MB and a TNT2 Ultra 32MB video card by the way.

Thanks for any help. I have searched the forums for threads regarding segmentation faults, and have read through a lot of stuff, but nothing seems to help.

If there is any information that I might post here in an effort to get some assistance, let me know and I will do that. If you need me to post some code from the seg faults or something ... whatever - thanks.

Howdy

high_jeeves
10-29-2002, 12:18 PM
The answer is 42. Thats the best you will get unless you post more information, specifically a backtrace (just like is asked for in all the threads you "read" about seg faults).

--Jeeves

Howdy
10-29-2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks dickhead, will see if I can dig up a backtrace.

high_jeeves
10-29-2002, 12:55 PM
Ahh.. I'm a dickhead? You cant solve your own problems, you cant post a meaningful request for help. I tell you what you need to post so that I can help you, and I'm a dickhead...

Let me bring out an old cliche:

Dont bite the hand that feeds you.

Dont be an ass when you come begging for help. Your post contained NO useful information. Unless there is a clairvoyant that peruses these message boards, nobody could possibly solve your problem with the information you provided. So:

1) learn to use message boards.
2) learn to be nice to people who help you.
3) learn to deal with it when you fuck up (by not posting ANY useful information), and sombody calls you on it.

So, you should be nice to the next guy who might help you, because you certainly wont get anymore from me.

--Jeeves

Howdy
10-29-2002, 01:04 PM
Funny though, that you were the one being an ass with your stupid reply. I clearly state in my post,
If there is any information that I might post here in an effort to get some assistance, let me know and I will do that. If you need me to post some code from the seg faults or something ... whatever - thanks.So yeah, if I need to post a backtrace, fine, just tell me to do that. No need to be a "dickhead" in doing so, although you chose to be.

So, settle back in your chair and eat another booger pal - I really, really care what you think.

Seriously, I really care. A lot.

Howdy!

high_jeeves
10-29-2002, 01:12 PM
So, why dont you just post it then, asshole? You and your fucking type of people are way to common around here. You are a member of the damn "whaaa! whaa! help me! whaa!" crowd. You claim that you read a bunch of posts about segfaults. Didnt atleast 80% of those posts tell you that there was no help without a backtrace? Did you post a backtrace? What kind of response do you expect? I am so fucking tired of having to hold every goddamn moron's hand when they cant follow simple instructions.

When I come along to help (and if you re-read my post, I was quite polite, didnt call you any names, didnt insult you). So, you resort to name calling? You get no help then. Have fun with your ShowEQ that segfaults.. mine works fine.. lots of other peoples problems have been solved because they have posted relevant information, and not resorted to calling the regulars on this board names.... You on the other hand will just get to keep your segfaulting version.. have fun..

--Jeeves

Howdy
10-29-2002, 01:33 PM
haha, get mad why don't ya?! Too funny.

You win IRL.

Howdy!

domesticbeer
10-29-2002, 01:48 PM
I have to agree with Jeeves on this one. You get snippy when all you really needed to do was post the same info you posted but also include the backtrace.

Still not sure why you reloaded you box, unless you do some dev work that you thought made your box unstable.

Howdy
10-29-2002, 01:57 PM
Wasn't trying to be snippy actually, was just responding to Jeeves in a manner that he deserved after his smart-ass reply to me ... sorry that he gets so tired of blah blah blah blah blah, but he doesn't have to do anything, so perhaps he should just get over it ... he reminds me of the computer guy sketch on Saturday Night Live where that nerdy computer-geek makes folks feel like idiots for asking questions and not knowing as much as he does about computers. Grats on having "all the answers" genius, sorry that you got all flustered when someone actually called you on your smart ass. Deal with it.

I didn't rebuild the box domesticbeer, I meant I just wiped all of the SEQ files off and reinstalled all of them - just in case I had a bad map file, etc.

Thanks,
Howdy

high_jeeves
10-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Grats on having "all the answers" genius, sorry that you got all flustered when someone actually called you on your smart ass.

I'm not getting "all flustered". Please explain to me what I said that warrented being called a dickhead? I think domesticbeer summed it up well. You got snippy because I posted something other than "I'll be right over to fix it for your lazy ass." Like I said before: I wasnt rude, YOU were the rude one. I am really tired of rude people on these boards.

Oh, and by the way.. how's your ShowEQ working?

--Jeeves

landaile
10-29-2002, 03:16 PM
http://www.liquid2k.com/scn/8retard.jpg

high_jeeves
10-29-2002, 03:17 PM
You can always tell the mental age of a person based on which helpless minority group they choose to insult.

--Jeeves

landaile
10-29-2002, 03:20 PM
That wasnt a statment about the folks that run in the special olympics....

It was a statment about the folks that posted here.

high_jeeves
10-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Nothing like somebody that uses a slur, and doesnt understand that it is a slur.. wonder if you would think that was as funny if it was a black guy, and a different slur being used? Its the same thing... I feel very strongly about slurs of any kind, making fun of people (or using them to make fun of others) for something that isnt under their control (race, religion, mental capacity, etc...) is the lowest of low.

Read the second line in that picture again, and tell me that no matter who your intended target was, you are insulting a large number of people, and being very obnoxious about it.

--Jeeves

falkore
10-29-2002, 03:37 PM
Ok, So back to the Segfaults...

I had the same problem, however I cannot post a backtrace, cause I just formatted all the ext2 partitions, and installed 7.3.

but If Seq will compile on 8.0, I'd like to go back to 8.0