PDA

View Full Version : All Unknown Spawns

Milked
10-29-2002, 10:57 PM
I havent had any luck getting any of the npc's or players to show up as anything but unknown spawns. I downloaded the libEQ.a file then I used the update commands that were in the newbie file. then I recompiled ShowEQ and nothing. All the maps load in fine and I can tell where I am facing and I can follow a mob once I have it selected but no information about the mob is ever displayed except the hp's. Does anyone have any Idea what I am doing wrong? My computer is running Redhat 8.0

TheColonel
10-29-2002, 11:40 PM
Just a curious question from the Colonel... Did you check the md5sum of your libEQ.a?!?!

Milked
10-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Yes I did the md5sum on the libEQ.a file. It checked out with the checksum posted in the anouncements section.

barinax
10-30-2002, 09:51 AM
I am having a similar problem. Most mobs are unknown, but the few that are "known" have the names show up as garbled ascii text. I went through at least a dozen spawn cycles in Infected Paw, so I know SEQ had plenty of spawns to decode.

I then deleted and redownloaded libEQ.a and verified the md5sum and recompiled SEQ after grabbing libEQ.a. Still the same issue.

I have just deleted the entire showeq dir and reinstalled and will try again tonight. I will post my outcome tomorrow.

Mr. Suspicious
10-30-2002, 10:12 AM
I then deleted and redownloaded libEQ.a and verified the md5sum and recompiled SEQ after grabbing libEQ.a. Still the same issue.

You most likely, and that goes for everyone that has this, didn't do ALL steps (or did them in the wrong order) as mentioned in the INSTALL.newbies file Chapter 3. Updating (found in your ShowEQ directory)

Grendalus
10-30-2002, 10:51 AM
I had pretty much the same issues with my RH 7.2 install of ShowEQ. ShowEQ ran just fine, after I got the new libEQ.a and then did the update and compile.... but I had map issues (map kept shrinking) and all of the mobs showed us as unknown.

What I finally did was rename my showeq directory to showeq.bak and made a new showeq directory and did the install from the newbie.install file and eveything works great now.

Note, I am a newbie... so I am guessing that I missed a setup flag or somehting when I updated the files or possibly some of the files in my old showeq directory were corrupt...

But this took less than an hour to do, and it was much less frustrating than doing all of the compiles that I had done over the last two days. You may want to give it a try.

Good Luck!

TheColonel
10-30-2002, 01:00 PM
I ask about the md5sum check because I spent almost all night trying to find out where the *#$% I could get the new libEQ.a
As it turned out... I had about 50 of them, one for everytime I ran the wget..... it decided not to overwrite... so everytime I ran md5sum libEQ.a I was checking the old one... thus I though that that source hadn't updated yet... so I went on to other... same problem. =( really quite a stupid problem. And I feel 50 iq points dumber.

barinax
10-31-2002, 08:34 AM
Once I deleted all the old SEQ files and reinstalled, it works like a champ. I assume that partially running the update and recompiling several times might have corrupted some of the info. Anyway, it works now and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replyed with suggestions and worked to get SEQ running so quickly after PoP.

Great work guys.