PDA

View Full Version : SEQ 4.3.0 on RedHat 8.0

Cynnamin
10-30-2002, 11:10 AM
Brand new install of RedHat 8.0 & new install of SEQ 4.3.0
My copy of libEQ.a is dated 11AM today & the md5 checks out.

I did compile it AFTER getting the libEQ.a and everything seemed to compile correctly. :) There is only ONE libEQ.a on the entire machine (/usr/lib) and I have tried running as root & also user w/root password.

SEQ loads up and then just sits, blank.

I have loaded SEQ both inputting the ip address of the EQ machines & changing it in the Network menu on SEQ & then zoned and it stills its blank. I have also summoned a pet to see if the spawn would trigger it, still nothing.

Any advice or anything else I can post for better help?

Flame me if you want ;) I'm a dumb newb! =p

I do have a Linksys router involved, are there any particular ports that need to be opened on either machine? Thanks in advance!

Cynni

Edit -- This is probably irrelevant but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post:
Using config file '/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Unable to open file: /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml!
Listening for client: 192.168.1.100
Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host 192.168.1.100
Loading filters from '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'
No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_unknown.conf'.
Loading default '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'.
GuildMgr: WARNING - could not load guildsfile, /usr/local/share/showeq/guilds2.dat
Categories Reloaded
Error opening map file '/usr/local/share/showeq/unknown.map'!
Opcode Logging Mask: 0 0 0

z26o
10-30-2002, 11:18 AM
I do have a Linksys router involved,
Do you also have a **true** hub attached to the Linksys router? Try to give us an idea of what your network set up looks like. Or read the many posts about linksys to see some of the reccomended configurations.

-z-

Cynnamin
10-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Linksys 4 Port EtherFast Cable/DSL Router (its also a switch I believe)
No hubs

1.4GhZ 512 DDR EQ/Win PC w/10/100 NIC
333mhz P2 Linux/WinMe Dual Boot w/ 10/100 NIC

DSL Modem -> Router =>> PCs

No hubs involved

IP Addresses
Win/EQ PC = 192.168.1.100
Linux/SEQ = 192.168.1.101

I know its a bad idea but I've DMZ'd the EQ PC thinking that might help if it was a port issue. Still no go.

Cynnamin
10-30-2002, 11:30 AM
HmM. I can't exactly dump my router now that I see Linksys equipment is a bitch and I don't particularly want to go out and buy more hardware. I should have a 10mb hub around here somewhere, would you recommend tossing that onto the router & then running the SEQ box on the 10Mb hub or else dumping my entire network back to 10Mb?

z26o
10-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Well, my suggestion is to go out and get an inexpensive hub ($30 US). Make sure it is a hub not a switch. You can search on linksys on these boards and you will get a ton of hits. Many of the threads will reccomend hubs known to work for seq.

That being said, I have read that some people have gotten switched hubs / routers to work, but I beleive it is an involved process, and beyond my abilities.

one common configuration:

ISP
|
Router
|
Hub
|
-------------
| |
EQ PC SEQ Box

Hope it helps
-z-

fryfrog
10-30-2002, 12:49 PM
you can use your 10mbit crap hub just fine, that should do it. there is NO WAY around a linksys router or ANY switch. the "trick" is only useful on "hubs" that behave like switches. of course, by NO WAY around, i mean without hooking another hub up to it :)

Cynnamin
10-30-2002, 02:47 PM
Well DUH. Now that I think about it, I had a SEQ box running on my network... via that crap hub I have! :) It wasn't my box as I just built it - it was a friend's & also his EQ pc was on that hub... I'm gonna hook it up and see if I can get it going! Hopefully I won't have to put my regular PC on the hub too, I'm gonna try it both ways, thanks for ALL the help :D

/em wiggles.

Edit -
For those that care, it didn't work with the EQ pc on the linksys router (( duh, I shoulda known )) but it will work as long as both pc's are on the hub. And I know I'm reiterating things that have already been said to ME but just in case any other dummies come along and want it in somewhat plainer english! =p

Nodak
10-30-2002, 04:56 PM
I was never able to get SEQ to work on a 4 port linksys router. Something about the hub blocks information between the members of your network, if you use your 4 port linksys as a hub. I don't have one personally but tried to get a friends up.

The easiest solution is to put a normal hub between the router and your PCs. Plug all your PCS to the normal hub, plug the hub to the router, router to modem.

Cryonic
10-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Let's get the terminology straight. Linksys routers are SWITCHES. There is a big difference between a switch and a hub.

There is no workaround to get them to work, unless you get the rare and elusive Linksys switching hub model that is out in the wild somewhere.

In General, if you have a Linksys device, it is a Switch. Either replace it, or if it is your Router, then buy a hub and hook the router, EQ and SEQ machines into the hub.

tcpdump is your friend.
man tcpdump.

drwoo
11-14-2002, 09:23 PM
i am having the same problem

i just formated and installed rh 8.0
i did a fresh install of 4.3.3
i am getting the same problems this guy was except, my hub is a hub and i changed no hardware or anything the only thing i did was software, i am thinking its got to be something in the network settings but i cant pin it down.....any tips would be appriciated

Cynnamin
11-14-2002, 09:32 PM
<< not a guy :)

Your hub might just not work with it, some hubs don't. I've tried a few different ones and some work, some do not.

drwoo
11-15-2002, 06:48 AM
thats what i was saying, dunno if i exressed that right but the current setup same hub same port same network card, worked a few days ago i have had seq running for about 18 month on that setup the only thing i changed was software

Cynnamin
11-15-2002, 10:35 AM
UMm.... are you running a program to get a key to input to the box to decode?

drwoo
11-16-2002, 07:28 AM
it was the firewall settings on my linux box

hawgz
11-16-2002, 10:34 AM
Only way to get this to work on the linksys SWITCH is if it supports spans.

A span is a switchport that is designated to have all traffic on the switch mirrored to it specifically for some type of sniffer application.

If it doesn't support spans, then the traffic destined for your eq box is only going to be sent on that port, no others. The only way around it would be to add a hub in between the switch and your eq box that you could plug your seq box into also.

I checked the linksys support page and can't find anything to indicate that this switch supports spanning.

Cryonic
11-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Unless you buy a MANAGED SWITCH (e.g. Cisco, High-end 3Com, etc...) you will not get this feature. Anything you buy from your local computer store is going to be an UNMANAGED SWITCH and therefore will not have any advanced features like spanning or VLANs.

So spend $1000 for a managed switch or $20 for a true hub. Hmm, tough decision.