PDA

View Full Version : unknown spawns help plz

seqn00b
10-31-2002, 01:03 PM
ok im probably a moron but i've searched and read everything i can find, deleted showeq and installed fresh twice.....checked md5sum and made sure i had only one libeq, tried make clean and makedistclean, still all spawns showing up unknown, any ideas?

high_jeeves
10-31-2002, 01:07 PM
Yes, you didnt read ANYTHING. There have been atleast 15 posts this morning saying that the encryption is broken again. Please people, if you are literate enough to write, you must be literate enough to read.. use those skills.

--Jeeves

seqn00b
10-31-2002, 01:08 PM
allright sorry...none of the posts i've read in the forums that i figured might apply to me, i.e. Help Desk, said anything. thanks anyways.

libpcap
10-31-2002, 05:08 PM
High on Leaves,

The day you provide any value add is the day I actually acknowledge you as a contributor.

domesticbeer
10-31-2002, 05:23 PM
Wow, another Troll that comes out of the closet. If most posters would read first the formulate their question, Jeeves wouldnt have to be so painfully Blunt and to the point with them. On thing I have noticed is that most of the Trolls come out of the closet when SEQ is broke by encryption or opcode changes.

So Libpcap, STFU!!!

libpcap
10-31-2002, 05:33 PM
Another one that speaks from the brown eye.

Thanks for telling us why and how 'High on Leaves' thinks and operates, can you tell me when his next feeding is too?

Mr. Contributor, the only troll is you, so do yourself a favor and get to contributing.

BTW, what gave you the idea that I even play EQ?

Thanks for playing, please try again.

Hitman
10-31-2002, 05:36 PM
Actually...I wish there was less help here in this Help Desk. Maybe with less help, less morons would be using SEQ and it would actually be working right now.

Instead you have 25 registered users and 100 non-registered users trolling these boards wondering how to get their SEQ to work again.

Simple words: If High_Jeeves has to flame you, then SEQ wasn't meant for you and you probably shouldn't be using it.

high_jeeves
10-31-2002, 05:42 PM
But wait everyone.. his name is libpcap.. he is clever.. dont make fun of him...

The day you provide any value add is the day I actually acknowledge you as a contributor.

Dunno.. maybe a few hundred posts, many of which help people (As is evidenced by the number of thank you posts and PMs I get). Perhaps a bunch of questions that I wrote in the FAQ?

PS. I prefer the acknowledgement in monetary form, whenever possible. Thank you, drive through.

--Jeeves

libpcap
10-31-2002, 05:44 PM
Fair enough!

I lurk the help area for research and when I see a user post in the Help section, I highly doubt they are looking to get flamed.

I guess I have a little sympathy for all the little gouls out today cause their seq is busted for the GM Events, boo hoo, but show a little class in your reply, these are people, not animals posting in here.

My point is this, if you dont' have anything to add or you think the post is total crap, then why reply? Why even have a help group, just nuke it and then focus on the Dev and ignore all else.

Mr. Suspicious
10-31-2002, 05:47 PM
I lurk the help area for research and when I see a user post in the Help section, I highly doubt they are looking to get flamed.

I guess I have a little sympathy for all the little gouls out today cause their seq is busted for the GM Events, boo hoo, but show a little class in your reply, these are people, not animals posting in here.

My point is this, if you dont' have anything to add or you think the post is total crap, then why reply? Why even have a help group, just nuke it and then focus on the Dev and ignore all else.

Heard it all before, please use the searchfeature as advertised in the large words on the top of the main page of this forum to find the couple of dozen posts about this thing.

Also, you might find the pre-face of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf to be of very interest (and yes, this link can be found in dozens of posts aswell)

TuxedoTex
10-31-2002, 05:47 PM
Read this before asking any questions. Then use use this. After you have read and used both options, then and ONLY then should you ask your question. If your question is answered in either of those two locations, EXPECT TO BE FLAMED for being too stupid to read. You have been warned.

His question was answered in one of the two places. Perhaps our new troll lacks basic reading comprehension skills as well?

libpcap
10-31-2002, 05:53 PM
Honestly, if they are too stupid to read, then what makes you think they will understand your disclaimer?

Maybe this board needs a Rant group, that would be good, then all of the flames and little nasty one liners can be posted in there.

JustACoder
10-31-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Hitman
Simple words: If High_Jeeves has to flame you, then SEQ wasn't meant for you and you probably shouldn't be using it.

/nod

libpcap
10-31-2002, 07:18 PM
So be it, you all win...

I guess it's time to let the flood gates open then and release a nice and pretty working copy of W32SEQ with the ability to foster and nurture all the little morons and stupid people that you didnt' take the time to educate on what would happen if this little proggie was ever ported to Win32

Hasta-

/em rejoices WinPcap

seqn00b
10-31-2002, 11:18 PM
thanks for the flames but just b/c some dickhead feels the need to flame someone doesn't mean that seq isn't for me. I've had it up and running for over 2 years now.....sorry if i'm not as advanced as most of you, but if we all were, we probably wouldn't need this forum at all now would we? I searched and read posts w/ subjects that i deemed related to my topic, so i obvioiusly didn't read ALL the posts as some of you think we all ought to. I'm thinkin the only reason people like high_jeeves read all the posts is b/c they are looking for someone else to flame, perhaps it makes him feel better about himself to be a prick to everyone else. As if you've never tried to do anything you didn't fully understand jeeves. I posted for help, and although extremely rude, you did answer my question, thanks, but does the flame need to be in there? you're not better than anyone b/c u have the time to constantly monitor everyone's posts.

TuxedoTex
11-01-2002, 01:59 AM
It's not so much that we're flaming out of spite. But if the question you've asked has been answered multiple times already, and you didn't feel it was worth your time to read all the posts that may pertain to it, one has to wonder why you feel it's worth our time to do the work for you.

seqn00b
11-01-2002, 03:13 AM
as i stated before....i did a search and also read topics with subjects that i felt to be relevant.

smoothielover
11-01-2002, 07:31 AM
readmore.....bitchlesssimple

ilikejeeve'sattitude.itstruetolifeforuslinux/itguysithink

sorryspacenotworkonthiskeyboardcoffeincident

Nish
11-01-2002, 08:35 AM
I have been trolling on this board for some time, I have asked questions, some have been answered some not, I usualy end up figuring it out one way or another... I may have even been flamed for my dumb question (thought there was no dumb questions <head shakes>)! who cares!
How much database space is waisted by ramblings of this nature? Not to mention how much more crap that's added to the search index! I mean I have made dozens of searches and IMO 90% of what came back was some kind of Flamage, That I just could not read though! I just don't have hours on top of hours to read this asshole flamed this dickhead... You don't deserve SEQ, if you can't fix you can't use it...

Really if you don't want to help don't!

/flameon

btw that space needs to be fixed, I used coke

FuddRucker
11-01-2002, 10:34 AM
You've been running SEQ for 2 years and you "still" doesn't know what it means when all the spawns show up as unknown? :confused:

Took you 2 reinstalls, and a post to figure out what the problem was?

Geez, I don't wanna flame you too hard, but there's usually only one reason SEQ stops working. Packets change... solution, wait for libEQ.a to get updated, then try reinstalling.

Believe me I'm having withdrawals as well, and I wish I had time to break out my old C manuals and figure out how to fix it, but I don't, so I shouldn't even be posting here.

seqn00b
11-01-2002, 01:34 PM
i hadn't updated since pop came out, haven't had the time, the libEQ i got was new for me, so yes, when that didn't work i did do two reinstalls

dirfrops
11-01-2002, 10:00 PM
You know what's really annoying? When assholes prefer to flame people instead of just answering the damn question. You know what's even funnier? I prefered not to read all the pissing and moaning because this could have easily been solved had someone just answered the dude's question in the first place...You know not all of us are SEQ experts let alone have a clue as to what we are doing with Linux. Why even waste your effort to bitch at someone who doesnt know what the hell they are doing? Is this NOT the Help message board? Well I bask in the glory of joining the rest of you "high and mighties" by wasting your time again.

Dirf..

---
Get Real or Get Lost!

keymaker
11-02-2002, 03:09 AM
If anyone needs someone to blame, blame me, no I don't work for SOE but hey, I love being a target, shoot away :)

wolfy
11-02-2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by dirfrops
You know what's really annoying? When assholes prefer to flame people instead of just answering the damn question. You know what's even funnier? I prefered not to read all the pissing and moaning because this could have easily been solved had someone just answered the dude's question in the first place...You know not all of us are SEQ experts let alone have a clue as to what we are doing with Linux. Why even waste your effort to bitch at someone who doesnt know what the hell they are doing? Is this NOT the Help message board? Well I bask in the glory of joining the rest of you "high and mighties" by wasting your time again.

Dirf..

---
Get Real or Get Lost!

/agree

this is the HELP forum after all. if people are not going to help, then don't even bother posting, just leave the posts for other more valuable contributors to help. flamers are a waste of time.

if you can't post positive, then don't post at all.

moo
11-02-2002, 06:05 AM
/cheer dirf

Mr. Suspicious
11-02-2002, 06:47 AM
Wolfy:
if you can't post positive, then don't post at all.

Practise what you preech Revenant Wolfy.

high_jeeves
11-02-2002, 10:08 AM

Dirf..

Sigh.. I need a macro for this:

DO IT YOUR GODDAMN SELF THEN. I provide alot of my own time to this community? Why? To provide an excellent help resource. What is the most annoying thing? When people ignore the entire existing help resource, and instead, demand more of my time instead of spending a little bit of their own. The answers required here are all over these forums. A few seconds of his own time would have provided these answers. Instead, he expects hundreds of people to waste their time reading his question, and possibly answering it. HE is the one that is in the wrong here, HE is the one that is trying to waste the time of people that are donating their expertise.

Again, you bitch at me for not helping people. What the hell do you do around here? Just jump on to make personal attacks at somebody who has been helping this community for over 2 years? Explain to me how you are helping the forums? Explain to me the purpose your post served? Maybe to do exactly what I am accused of? To make yourself feel better? Atleast I provide a service in the process.

this is the HELP forum after all. if people are not going to help, then don't even bother posting, just leave the posts for other more valuable contributors to help. flamers are a waste of time.

No, this is a forum for people to come and find their answers. Not to come and have answers hand fed to them. The answers are all here. They really are. It only takes a few seconds to find them. It takes longer for me to type a response telling people to RTFM than it would for them to just go find them in the first place.

--Jeeves

Virusmaster
11-02-2002, 10:21 AM
/sigh

same freakin nerdie messageboard name-callin' crap everywhere I go to read. Let's get a grip folks, stay focused and leave the trolls alone (not like you know what a troll is if you are a troll :) ). Back to work all of you!!

wolfy
11-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by high_jeeves

No, this is a forum for people to come and find their answers. Not to come and have answers hand fed to them. The answers are all here. They really are. It only takes a few seconds to find them. It takes longer for me to type a response telling people to RTFM than it would for them to just go find them in the first place.

--Jeeves

Jeeves, just because you have been here for two years, helped numerous people etc, does NOT give you the right to call everyone newbs, insult people, or act like an A-hole. You have no god given right to do this.

A help forum is there to help users, yes the information is there for others to find, if they can find it, but it is not always that easy. flaming everyone for asking is also not a nice thing to do.

If you wish to help, then do so, just don't act like a fool by thinking you are "the god of forums". Help if you can, ignore if you can't.
your replies are getting very predicatable now.

Why not just put a link in your signature pointing to a FAQ, a usefull resource, or a place full of links, it would help, you would be made to look like a good guy, and tons of people who visit this place would not jump all over you.

BTW, ever tried the search on this kind of forum? I have, it's a nightmare to use, and as i mentioned in my other post (now deleted) making the moderators use the "sticky" option on posts would save you a lot of grumbling.

like i said above, if you can help, do so, otherwise don't, and be quiet. grumbling is not being constructive, its being down-right rude.

thanks for all the help you have given me in the past, but your attitude right now sucks.

high_jeeves
11-03-2002, 12:16 PM
like i said above, if you can help, do so, otherwise don't, and be quiet. grumbling is not being constructive, its being down-right rude.

Again, I ask then.. what exactly are you doing? You dont post anything except grumbling non-constructive posts. You are the one making personal attacks, which I dont do.

It seems to me that there is a distinctive pattern here. Everytime ShowEQ isnt working, all the morons troll these boards and complain about anything and everything. Making sticky threads isnt an answer, if you think it is, then you are niave. Adding a link to the FAQ in my sig isnt an answer. The reason? Because most answers are found in the top 10 threads on the forum, but people dont read them.. There is a link to the FAQ on the front page of these forums, people dont read it. The bottom line is simple. People are lazy. They dont want to do anything themselves. I would strongly recommend that you go read any one of the many excellent documents on message board behavior, most notably the appendix of the smoothwall manual (you can find the link by searching). Or, for that matter, go participate in any other forum on the internet. I think you will find it quite informative, and you will learn that the onus of using the forum appropriately falls on the USER, not the people who host it and/or answer the questions.

You dont like my attitute? Fine, dont read my posts. I dont like the implicit attitute of the lazy fucks who post something that is answered in almost all of the top threads in the forum, plus the dev forum, plus the announcements forums, and then get upset when the reaction they get isnt rosy.

I'm not hear to impress you. I'm not hear to argue with you. I'm hear to help people that are having problems. I dont like it when that problem is that they are too lazy to spend 10 seconds finding their own answer.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. You dont like the way I do it? Then you do it. Until then, you are just being a whiner.

--Jeeves

seqn00b
11-03-2002, 12:51 PM
i can't believe this topic is still going, and jeeves, you have a lot of nerve to call anyone lazy. Most of us are out at work everyday, maybe we don't have time to read every post in each of the seq forums as you do. What does that say about you? the fact that you're always sitting on your ass reading all this? maybe you're the lazy one?

high_jeeves
11-03-2002, 01:09 PM
Actually, I am at work every day also. It takes less that 20 minutes of my day, spread over the entire day to read all the posts on this forum... But, that is besides the point. The answer to your question was the topic of almost all the posts in the last 5 days, and was mentioned in the top 3 or so threads in this forum. It could also be found VERY easily by searching. You dont have to read all the posts on the forum to find the information you looked for.

Here was the beginning of your original post:

ok im probably a moron but i've searched and read everything i can find

Can you honestly tell me that you read everthing you can find? The answers were in many threads, most notably this one:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2118

Which was bumped less than two hours before your post. It was in atleast the top 2-3 messages in the forum, and the topic answered your question (you didnt even have to click into it!). The answer was also posted in the Announcements forum, which you should always read before you update. I'm sure that if I wanted to spend time on it, I could fine atleast 5 other threads from the relevant timeframe that answered your question.

I'm tired of this thread now.. the bottom line is, you didnt search, or if you did, then you didnt do a very good job at it. The answers were available. Your question was posted atleast 5 times in a 3 day span, I got tired of answering nicely. I'm not going to defend my actions anymore. You dont like it? Fine. I'll still be on these forums helping, and flaming people in a week, you all will probably be long gone by then, like everyone else that whines on these boards (and never helps anyone!)... so life will go back to normal for me.

--Jeeves

smoothielover
11-04-2002, 01:20 AM
as a noob seq user but a person who deals with morons alot being IT i would like to point out i agree with jeeves.

I have read almost every post on this forum in the last 6 months now and have asked a few questions which were answered in them BUT i reasked them in a way that

A: provided an answer to me
B: added possible ideas above and beyond what i was looking for specifically to spark their intrest in the area i was investigating
C: was aking in the right forum
D: Not caring too much about the way it was answered.

Bootom line is even when flamed you get told the answer this is infact HELP

if you get flamed in anyway its because you

A: havent found the answer cos you didnt search or didnt search well enough
B: havent got the brains enough to realise when eqgame.exe is updated to expect SEQ to break
C: just dont have the skills requireed to use the program to the point it was intended.
D: just asked the same question as the other people who have your issue and are included in A,B or C

the basic concept of open source is we all help each other. by not doing the searches and investing the appropriate amount of time researching your issue you are NOT HELPING and shouldnt be here.

I dont contribute much to SEQ i admit it but my use of it in the right way and suggestions for other forms of reporting and such hopefully get taken in the light of. hmmm thats a nice thing to see as it helps the melee etc or the casters etc or the people in general etc.

my veiw on flames are that we should only exhibit enough intrest in a question as we need to to provide an answer.

IF I FIND SOMETHING I HAVE Read about in recent times my answers would be

been there done that do a search and read like i did.

i had trouble installing SEQ the first time even with the walkthroughs etc and i never hassled anyone. admitedly i know some programming and alot of network and compression and encryption stuff but my issue was based around programming on linux and thus read redhat as well as here.

funnily enough i found the answer and it worked fine and i didnt even have to do a post on the forum.

BASIC Linux and concept knowledge make it a easy thing to work out. if you dont understand how the basic concepts work dont bother jeeves etc . learn the concepts first. read the dev boards first so you have a basic comprehension of it first.

also if you havent worked out in 2 years how NOT to get flames your a MORON anyways and by dovouting so much people time in reading and repling to the bitching so you understand EXACTLY how dumb you are for not doing the above is a waste of time. im sure jeeves would rather be looking at the packets and memory sniffing rather than saying your an idiot.

im less than 3 months on this board and i would like to agree with the concept.

SEQ breaks - MORONS RISE to the occasion

learn how to predict the braks and how to solve them. if the cvs isnt updated its because they havent fixed it yet

BTW jeeves reads all the posts probably the same way i do. by looking at what has changed in the last few hours.

this isnt being SAD this is called RESEARCH somthing most of the trolls think is for casters only. and if you cant follow the basic concept of. find out whats wrong then ask the question with DETAILED information then your a troll.

the orriginal statement was

I HAVE DONE A SEARCH....

if you read the lines below the search buttons on the main screen you will see the dates of the last postings. IF ITS THE SAME DATE OR CLOSE READ IT FIRST THEN SEARCH..

YOU ARE A MORON. I read the forums before and after you posted this and FYI the dates/times are before yours which means you didnt do this..

your a moron and i back up jeeves regardless in this because your wasting my bandwidt i reading it let alone my time which is to me invaluable. the reason most people use seq is for FUN. the only people thaty dont use ift for FUN are selling it at playerauctions and ebay and are prolly trolls or non contributers.

if they had the brains to do the contributions they wouldnt be selling it for money they would have enough money already.

Jeeves -- LOVE YA WORK

eqMAGE
11-08-2002, 05:54 PM
People who help out in these forums and post useful information are awesome. Thanks guys.