PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: WineX support

clueless
11-01-2002, 08:26 AM
Since Transgaming has made Everquest 100% Playable in Linux (font issues, and texture issues have both been fixed in the latest CVS and will be released in the next release) I have no more reason to keep windows around. The ironic thing that many others have noticed is that ShowEQ does not work when running the game through WineX. One person in this thread: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1991 noticed that the possible cause of this is the originating ports for the packets are coming out a different port in the emulation. I know there are many more important issues right now (broken decode) But this may be a simple fix. It would greatly be appreciated if someone more knowledgable than myself could take a look at it and possibly post a fix.

Thanks in advance

Ratt
11-01-2002, 09:38 AM
This will definitely be an area of focus after we get the current problems either resolved or shoved out of the nest and left to fend for themselves. :)

jonnyboy
11-01-2002, 10:51 AM
I must be that "one person" being referred to. I have delved a bit more into the code and found nothing really wrong with my first suspicions, the port numbers are all uint16's so it could be something else. I used netstat -M on my linux machine also dialed out, to view the masq'd connections, and view the ports. I also tried looking into wineX code and couldnt find anything really obvious. but there seems to be more problems than this so we'll just have to wait for them first

iluvseq
11-01-2002, 11:23 AM
From what I've been reading elsewhere in these forums, it sounds like the current encryption might require a "stub" running on the EQ Client machine to grab the session key from memory.

I'd love it if ShowEQ could simply grab that from the WineX EQ Session. I would think that running EQ under WineX might also break Verant's ability to do "nasty" detection schemes such as scanning the process list. Granted, Verant could most likely detect that someone is running EQ under WineX fairly easily, but that, in and of itself, should not be a bannable offense.

My dream setup is to be running EQ on one head of my Dual Headed Linux box, with SEQ on the other. :)

benjimouse
11-26-2002, 07:13 PM
I've submitted patch 644457 to deal with the SEQ/WineX port problem.

It works for me, but YMMV.

jonnyboy
11-29-2002, 12:59 PM
This is great. It really works now. I tried it just now and it works. I tried it on the same box it works still. Which brings us to the next question: How do we get the key from eqgame running within wineX? Dont reply here... there's a forum for discussing those somewhere else.

ender7007
12-08-2002, 06:57 PM
Can one of you guys who got ShowEQ to work while monitoring an Everquest client running on Winex/Linux explain how you did this? I see that someone submitted a patch, but as of yesterday it wasn't in the CVS. Can I get the patch somewhere and if so what do I do next?

I still want to use two computers (one for EQ and one for ShowEQ). Will this patch work in this situation?

Thanks for any replies.

jonnyboy
12-09-2002, 12:23 PM
yes it does work with 2 machines. the patches is in sourceforge's patches section i forgot the number but searching would probably yield what youre looking for. so far it works as a gps because I havent figured how to get the encryption key. should be possible to patch wine directly without running any dlls & stuff since wine is doing the loading, eq wouldnt be able to see any key sniffer at all. it's like it being builtin to windows.