PDA

View Full Version : Interesting problem with ShowEQ

Frinktastic
11-03-2002, 08:52 AM
Ok, so I've been using ShowEQ for a while, recompiling on occasion as necessary, everything's been just dandy. PoP comes out, the new encryption breaks the spawn tracking part of ShowEQ, but I mostly just used it for GPS functionality anyhow, so not a big deal. Even so, I'm at version 4.3.0, with the appropriate libEQ.a (I haven't downloaded new source or libEQ.a since manual key entry was committed).

A couple of days ago, right in the middle of a session, ShowEQ just shut itself down. No action taken on my part, I just looked back over at my SEQ screen to get my bearings, and there I was looking at the gnome desktop. The session had been active for over an hour without any hitch (and in fact, I'd never had this happen before).

Now, whenever I start up ShowEQ, it comes up, opens all of its windows, and then promptly shuts itself back down again. I've tried doing complete rebuilds both from the source I've got on my machine already as well as from freshly checked-out source, but I get the same results no matter what I do. I've checked, and the only libEQ.a I've got is in /usr/lib (not that I believe that having multiple copies of libEQ lying around would cause this problem to suddenly appear, but I try to be thorough). I haven't installed anything new on this machine...the only two apps I ever run on it are showEQ and Netscape, both of which have coexisted happily for months. Any ideas?

-JF

(edit: clarified one point)

Dedpoet
11-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Are you positive you're doing a make install at the end of your compile? The other thing to try is to delete both your install directory (/root/showeq, /seq/showeq, whatever it is) as well as /usr/local/share/showeq. Save your XML files and maps somewhere else first if you need them. Then do a cvs checkout and rebuild from scratch. Make sure you export your QTDIR, CC, and CXX variables properly.

Frinktastic
11-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I did a make install. The thing about this that's really odd is that the problem just showed up with no reason that I can identify. It's not like I rebuilt the executable one day, and after that, everything just stopped working- it WAS working, and then just quit.

The one thing I haven't tried is blowing away my directories and starting over from scratch, but I'll probably do that after the next commit.

-JF

Frinktastic
11-09-2002, 08:30 PM
Okay, so today, I blew away the SEQ directories completely, checked out the latest committed code, got the latest libEQ, and recompiled.

Same problem.

So, just out of frustration, I did a ./showeq from the console window where I compiled the program, rather than using the link I have on my desktop. Same results, except that now, because I'm running it from a console window, I get to see the status messages. SEQ's dying words were "Illegal file size". So, I start looking around in the SEQ directory in /usr, and there's global.log, with a length of over 2 gigabytes. So, I deleted that, and now everything's fine again.

-JF

Edits: Grammar and incorrect filename.

baelang
11-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Frinktastic
Okay, so today, I blew away SEQ directories completely,

SEQ's dying words were "Illegal file size". So, I start looking around in the SEQ directory in /usr, and there's globallog.txt, with a length of over 2 gigabytes.

so you didn't really blow away the /usr/local/share/showeq directory like you said in the first line?

i actually ran across this same problem a few weeks ago. make sure you turn all logging off (/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml) or your log files will grow to fill up your drive again eventually.

Frinktastic
11-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Well, yes and no. I nuked /root/showeq, because that's where the program itself lives, but I didn't think to go into the /usr/local... area to look; I just sort of assumed that SEQ would put its config files and everything in the directory from which it was run (yeah, I know, this is a behavior that stems from years of Windoze use).

I did turn off logging, though, so hopefully, things won't fall apart again. It's too bad about the new encryption key handling scheme...I want to stay passive, so now I have to actually go looking for giants that are carrying weapons in Warslik's Woods. Dammit.