PDA

View Full Version : possible client idea

baldysm
11-03-2002, 09:49 AM
I have an idea that might be workable. Understand that I am a network guy and know almost nothing about programming, just my idea may be totally implausable.

On Winblows, any program runs with the security of the user. So it seems to me, that we need a way to run a program remotely that EQ can't scan for, detect, etc. So we need a executable, that is run from CL, than pulls the key from memory and displays the results.

My idea is that on 2000/XP, you log in as joeblow user, and play EQ. You would have to telnet or remote command (NT has a remote command that you could run, was in the Resource Kit, I assume similiar is available in 2000/XP) to the EQ box, log in as admin and run the executable. That dumps the key and you enter it into SEQ. Could even set it up so that the executable sends the key to the SEQ box and is entered automatically, and script it in the SEQ box.

The directory that the executable has to deny access to whatever user EQ is being run under. IE, then they cant scan the hard drive for it. The only problem I can see is I don't know if EQ can detect the memory location being queried.

If we have the .exe in a directory that EQ cant access, and if EQ can't detect the memory location being checked, who cares what the encryption is?

Won't work on Win98 boxes, but I think it will on boxes where security takes more than an ESC key to break.

My .02

Baldysm

homer
11-03-2002, 10:00 AM
Aye,

I had already thought of that and run my batch as a different user acct. The directory itself has access denied to all other users on the system itself.

I should of posted that. =p

Elyon
11-03-2002, 11:15 AM
What can they really do? If they start scanning Hard Drives, they will be slowing down your system considerably. Seems to me, they would just scan your task manager to see what's running. I admit, I am not a programmer, I am in the hardware end of the business, so I am sure there are things programmers can do to detect things, but scanning your hard drive, would be a waste of time, ie: I have a 120 Meg Drive... That's gonna take a while to scan. Don't name your program SNIFFER, or keyscan. Name it something like clean.exe or av.exe (ie:Anti-Virus)

Also, if they were scanning, a lot people would already be banned, for using Xylobot, EQWindows and others that I probably don't even know about. Ban enough people and I am sure Lawyers will get involved. Do they want to LOSE the revenue? They ban you from EQ, you going to buy EQ2 or Star Wars? I think not.

As Dennis Miller says,

"That's just my opinion and I could be wrong!"