PDA

View Full Version : Sony vs. Verant

Flotsam
11-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Just an interesting comment since I have been reading all these posts about people bitching about Sony "owning all of EQ now".

You realize (I hope) that Verant (before it was called that) was originally a division of Sony, right? That it was spun off as an "independent" company back in early '99 and that Sony still owned a majority stake? And that within months of EQ going live back in '99 Sony had repurchased Verant, lock, stock and barrel? Verant hasn't been an independent company (in my opinion) ever. The only thing that has changed has been the logos on your login screen and some accounting maneuvering. Don't forget that on the first EQ box Verant's logo didn't even show up - because they hadn't decided what to name the new "independent"development company yet :)

I'm sure people understand the difference between writing off software development expense, versus capital investment in a software 'startup'. Think about it, and think about how Sony was paniced because EQ was running so overbudget and so late, and you will understand exactly why Verant was created, and why after EQ was shown to be successful Verant was sucked back into the Sony portfolio. But don't talk any more about Verant vs. Sony - they have always been the same company.

Hitman
11-03-2002, 01:09 PM
So 989 studios is part of Sony?

high_jeeves
11-03-2002, 01:12 PM
So 989 studios is part of Sony?

Yep. If you go to their website, it even says (C) of Sony Computer Entertainment of America.

--Jeeves

futuro
11-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Hell, with interlocking directorships, off-balance sheet investments, joint ventures, partnerships and all the other ways that accountants have to hide the true relationships between corporations, I sincerely doubt *any* company is truely indepedent. For an example, look at Cendant. They own real estate companies ERA, Century 21 and Coldwell Banker, among oither... Lodgings companies Amerihost, Days Inn, Howard Johnsons, Knights Inn, Ramada, Super 8, Travelodge among others, plus Avis. It's all a plan to make 2 or 3 super corporations own everything and be more powerful than national governments. It's like they read 1984 as some kind of business plan or something!

It's kind of scary... Sony Japan has 1068 subsidiaries worldwide.
Who do you think has more influence internationally, Japan or Sony?

BlackJack
11-03-2002, 02:52 PM
Kinda like Black Isle Studios. They aren't an independent developer - they are just a bunch of desks in the middle of Interplay's office.

Mr Guy
11-04-2002, 07:50 AM
Hmm what movies is that from?

The line goes something like:

You need to stop thinging about Americans like they are all the same. America is a country, not a company.

Oh, like Japan?

No, Japan IS a company.