PDA

View Full Version : OpenProcess failed, error: 5

baelang
11-03-2002, 06:46 PM
What it is:

Error 5 is "access denied".

What it means:

if you are getting OpenProcess failed, error: 5 that means that you are running on win2k, nt, or xp and you do not have permission to read the memory segment needed to get the key.

there are many, many different variations of the keysniffer code posted on this board, each handling the open porcess a bit differently.

What to do about it:

If you are running a version that runs once, finds one key, and then exits: you need to have sufficient privledges to open the process for reading every time.

some people suggest using the process scheduler to start your keysniffer with system privledges. at the command prompt, type:
at (now+1) c:\path\to\keyscanner.exe
substituting the current time plus one minute for (now+1).
(however this didn't work for me on XP-pro with and administrator account UPDATE: this method only works on win2k)

another option is to run one of the versions of the keyscanner that specifically modifies the access control list.

If you run a version of the keyscanner that opens the process once (keeps the process handle open) and loops through reading memory:

you must make SURE to start the keyscanner at or before character select screen, and leave it running while you play. you cannot start this type of keyscanner after you have zoned at all.

you will need to close down EQ all the way to the desktop, start your keyscanner, then start up EQ again. It can be pretty tricky to get the timing right with something that does not loop in the "searching for eqgame" portion of the code that finds the pid and opens the process handle.

yet another option is to run a version of the keyscanner that injects itself into eqgame memory space via rundll32. see the many threads by maggotboy for information on this type of system.

and, of course you can avoid this problem all together by running EQ on windows98 where NT security isn't an issue.

hope this helps someone.

EDIT: i thought it was pretty clear to begin with, but people complained so i expanded it a bit.

UPDATE: as of the 11/19 patch, you must use a version of the keyscanner that sets debug privlidges (on xp anyway). see code posted by uncleben. (this code is also part of keyring.)

Novi
11-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Wher would I type that info, I have gottten this far. please assit.

zhusna
11-20-2002, 12:23 PM
I don't know why adding the logged user [although the user was already a local administrator] under the Local Security Policy / User Rights Assignment as a member of Lock Pages in Memory, but it seems to work fine. Anyone have any ideas why VI would try to Lock Pages?

thx

Z