PDA

View Full Version : The next level...

deathinc
11-04-2002, 09:38 AM
I think it's probibly inevitable that SoE will be altering some things in an effort to thwart the keysniffers / SEQ... It's simply a matter of time.

The question here is, is there interest in taking the 'war', as Ratt puts it, to the next level?

Can we find offsets and change memory to do things like:

Turn off trees
Remove the distance limitation
Disable Fog
Render objects (not mobs?) in wireframe
Make walls transparent

SoE has basically taken away the status quo, and forced us to resort to client-based key capture. We're already digging through the memory looking for the key, why not really do some things to throw off game balance? Hell, SoE is going to go looking for the key sniffer anyway -- might as well go balls to the wall.

My 2cp.

sequser5516
11-04-2002, 10:07 AM
umm...seq can be somewhat arguable, as it doesn't change your gameplay persay.. However what your suggesting is a Direct and unarguable violation of the EULA. I don't think you'll get much support on that one.

flobee
11-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Does it really matter? If they think they found a keysniifer on your box they will just ban you and then refer you to [email protected].

I know people who were banned for a lot less than hacking around in memory.

LordCrush
11-04-2002, 11:25 AM
This needs not to be done - look at Macroquest - (search at sf.net) - I think we dont should push it furher ...

2cp

MisterSpock
11-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Once you have started to ALTER the client's memory space, you've dipped into a whole new realm. This is a realm that, in my opinion, ShowEQ was never intended to operate in.

Even in its current state, which is far less passive than originally intended, it is still not altering any client memory.

MacroQuest apparently already has capabilities to do those kind of things. I'd very much prefer to stay out of this area.

LordCrush
11-04-2002, 11:45 AM
/nod Mr. Spock - the porblem with the key made me look deeper into MQ - that is nothing SEQ should be or become

a_guide_01
11-04-2002, 12:19 PM
Though I do agree that the uses of SEQ are great and 99 out of 100 times are not detrimental to gameplay. If I'm going to get banned for messing with the memory to retrieve a key... I would love to just totally jack up the software so
1. they ban everyone and have no more revenue
2. and seriously show Sony how great the old days were when only a few had it for good uses.

but until I hear of mass bannings for the sniffer programs... I'm content to use as is.

2cp

a_guide_01

Raistlin
11-06-2002, 05:26 PM
Ok, I really hate to do this, but i'm starting to get onto the "Vengence is Mine" kick of this thread.

I like SEQ on Linux, I agree that for the power of it (or the used to be power of it) you should have to go through something to get it.

Yes, this is back to the "why not windows" argument. However, there's a twist here. The main argument for not pushing SEQ to windows is that once the decrypt became open source available for windows, Sony Changed the crypt so that windows users couldn't use it.

Which is what they're doing now every time we zone basically...

So why not just open up the flood gates, give everyone an undetectable, passive way of seeing spawns (not decoded, but it will show little gray dots), their possitions on the maps, and the other information we can get via the un-encrypted packets?

Really. If they want to play dirty, open it up, let's let every 10 year old with a second computer be able to flawlessly find his way through massive dungeons.

With the recent round of nurfs to classes and items, and the recent changes to EQ Encryption to break SEQ, it seems that the devs at EQ are putting alot of effort into ruining the enjoyment of alot of people in their game...so why not do a little cherio pissing of our own?

Ok, i'll let the more PC side of me back out of the closet now and stop trying to think of good ways to tweek Sony.

--Raistlin