PDA

View Full Version : Does LibEQ.a still have a purpose?

BitShift
11-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Now that we are getting the encryption key straight from the EQ client's memory, I was wondering, does LibEQ.a still have a purpose? Is it (or was it) responsible for not only figuring what the key is, but also for actually decoding the packets? Or does SEQ itself do the decoding?

Basically what I'm asking is, can SEQ compile and sucessfully decode WITHOUT LibEQ now? If that's the case, I'm amazed there aren't a million copies of "WinSEQ" flying around.......

So, does LibEQ still have a purpose now?

Amadeus
11-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Do you see routines in your source code that handles the decoding process? They have to exist somewhere ;)

Providing SEQ with a key does very little good unless SEQ knows what to do with it.

dirfrops
11-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Yeah, being a newbie to Seq and Linux, compiling, and coding, blah blah blah...I got the funny notion to check the md5sum on my libEQ.a file and guess what...it wasnt the current one, even though I had downloaded it from smurfette/trifocus ftp sites. When I read the help page, and got the new libEQ.a file (downloaded to windows, saved to floppy, then dropped it in from floppy onto Linux box) everything worked like a charm (provided I input the key...each time I zoned....

So to get it working, I start up EQ...once in zone, I start up SEQ on Linux box...I minimize EQ, get the key...input key into SEQ, and whammo...just like everyone has said before...watch the pretty colored dots appear. Of course, once I zone, I have to close SEQ...open SEQ (have to open SEQ while in the zone...don't load SEQ if you are in the middle of zoning) then input the key and boom...so for right now, until I download a compiler and try to start messing with source code, I am basically just loading keys when I reach my raid destination, or if I need to find a corpse, a lost newb, or a trader in the bazaar...

Well, thats my 2 copper...I'm going to play with some sourcecode for the first time in my life...with me luck! :confused: