PDA

View Full Version : Sniffing inbound but not outbound packets

digicide
01-04-2002, 08:25 AM
I realise this isn't a SEQ question per se, its mainly to do with the way ICS works but since I cant use SEQ effectively because of it im posting here out of desperation :)

My setup is as follows :

PC1 : Win XP box 1. Modem, Vmware running Mandrake 8.1 (bridged networking). SEQ 4.0 installed correctly.

PC 2 : Win XP box 2. EQ machine.

When I first installed SEQ 4.0 under vmware, everything was working perfect. Spawns decoding, map following my player position etc. Didnt use SEQ for a week, loaded it up and it wasn't displaying my player info, position always displayed at 0/0/0. I figured this was because it wasn't sniffing my outbound packets and after a tcpdump I realised why.

Here is a simplified extract from tcp dump from my vmware box during an eq session :
(PC1 is vmware/modem pc, PC2 EQ pc)

eqzone11-23.989studios.com.3435 > PC2.mshome.net.pctrader
PC2.mshome.net.twsdss > PC1.mshome.net.icslap
PC1.blackjack > eqzone-11-23.989studios.com

etc.

mshome.net is the default domain XP ics seems to use. I think the packet which is screwing up the sniffing is the PC1.blackjack one, because it doesn't look as if its coming from my EQ pc I presume the sniffer doesn't realise its part of the EQ session. Im guessing .blackjack, .pctrader etc are just internal tags given by ics.

Guessing theres not much I can do to fix this, bit of a wierd problem and its a nasty way to run SEQ anyway.

(Originally posted this in the wrong forum..oops)