PDA

View Full Version : Protecting ourselves

Killian
11-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Just a couple of thoughts.

Has anyone tried the following?

1. Turned on a logger to see if eqgame.exe has accessed any files on the HDD?
2. Any method to see if eqgame.exe has scanned the task list?
3. Tried limiting eqgame's access via different user permissions?
4. Auditing the Eqgame process to find out exactly what it's doing?
5. XP has a method to protect itself incase a program is compromised. Can we try this with eqgame?

These are just a few thought to see if we can detect if SoE is doing any checking so that we know not to use any sniffers?

This should give us some warning so we can protect ourselves.

A lot of the comments on the sniffers are from our side and trying to hide what we are doing from SOE. Another tack would be to see if SoE is actually checking up on us.

Any comments?

Killian

throx
11-05-2002, 12:52 PM
The problem is that none of these methods ensure Sony isn't checking up on you. There's more ways to detect key sniffers than scanning files or task lists so the basic assumption you should make is that Sony *is* checking.

Basically don't run any code on your EQ machine unless you are willing to have that account banned at some time in the future. If you are fine with that risk then only a full code audit (several years of work) will tell you whether any particular patch release is actually checking or not.

Killian
11-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Throx,

You’re missing my point. SEQ aside, it the larger privacy issues I was wondering about.

Since it is suppose to be illegal for Sony to scan other people's computer (SEQ and banning not included for this conversation), is there method to catch them at it and then embarrassed by telling the whole world what they are doing - with proof (Like SEQ did to get them to fix their own bugs).

This way you don't get labeled as a cheater and have everyone sneer at you but as an advocate of privacy. :eek:

Alot of people are more scared about privacy then a couple of "Cheaters". People out there running EQ on their home/work machines would feel alot better if their private files (finances, etc.) were safe and protected. Sony would not have a leg to stand on.

I hope some others out there are checking on Sony otherwise what is stopping them from examining other files on our systems without our permission.

Killian

LordCrush
11-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Beside the disucssion wether complete or not do you have some suggestions on monitors ?

Filemon is at www.sysinternals.com - it monitors file access - but has a deep inpact on performance ...

gothopie
11-07-2002, 11:55 PM
hmm, neat little program...
and where was eqgame poking around?
the idlemon.dll file in my aim folder (open)
the idle.dll folder in my yahoo folder (open)
pokes a bit at win.ini
then to my temporary internet files folder...
and all this before I make it to char select

if I close aim and yahoo, it doesn't go anywhere near them
while zoning and playing in general, eqgame doesn't seem to roam out of it's own home, though I haven't tested it for more than 10 minutes of game play at this point

high_jeeves
11-08-2002, 02:04 AM
the idlemon.dll file in my aim folder (open)
the idle.dll folder in my yahoo folder (open)
pokes a bit at win.ini
then to my temporary internet files folder...

These are all done because they are initializing the networking layer.. no other reason.. EQ isnt actually doing these... its the Windows networking layer doing it.

--Jeeves