PDA

View Full Version : What's changed in the UPLOADED data

sudden_thought
11-05-2002, 12:00 PM
So the current idea is that somehow, EQ can and does now upload something to tell VI that a specific memory location is being viewed. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.
EQ has always uploaded data to the servers, so what did they add to this upload to enable them to do this? Is it constant or is it only activated when that memory location is viewed? The latter seems rather a lot of work to me, VI has a reputation for lazy programming, something I think we've all seen and suffered from at some point in our EQ lives. If it's constant, say either a single bit 1 or 0 saying yes that memory location has been looked at or no it hasn't, then can we not find that 'marker' and knock it back to zero before the data is uploaded?
I've never looked at the data that we send back to the servers, has anyone else looked at it in depth?

OldNecro
11-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Noone said that is what is happening. They just said that it *may* happen in the future. In its current form, it is my understanding that SOE cannot do this with eqgame.exe due to the way it reserves chunks of memory for the game to use. However, if they change the scheme even if only for the single block of memory holding the key, it is feasibly possible for this functionality to be added in a future patch. At the time of this posting, there is no evidence of any process scanning or memory monitoring taking place while eqgame.exe is resident in memory, which would lead one to believe that is is more or less safe to be using the key grabber. However, there's no telling what VI has up its sleeve for the next patch.