PDA

View Full Version : Migrating to Gentoo any suggestions ?

Guinney
11-10-2002, 02:02 AM
I've been running Redhat for the past year and have become fairly comfortable with it... In the Faq Gentoo is mentioned and it's been suggested in several other threads also. Thinking about trying Gentoo. The system is P3 850 768 mb ram. I've been to the website and it looks pretty straight foreward as an install. Looking for opinions... Is it advantageous to use Gentoo over RH ?Anything that I should beware of while installing ? Thanks.

casey
11-10-2002, 10:17 AM
the fact it isnt redhat and based on rpm's is all the advantage you'll ever need.

fooz
11-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Using gentoo + fluxbox on a celron 667. It runs 10x faster on this box then rh/mandrake ever did.

Dedpoet
11-11-2002, 07:33 AM
Get yourself a copy of the latest CD image, 1.4 RC1-r2 as of Friday anyway. Print out the installation manual and the desktop manager manual from their website. Start the install when you know you will have some free time, and be prepared to make some mistakes. I consider myself a fairly competant Linux/Unix user and it took me 4 installs before got things the way I really like it. Also keep in mind that it will take quite some time to do the install, especially if you are doing a stage 1 from scratch.

As far as packages, take a look at the Redhat walkthru and that will give you a pretty good idea of what you need. Many of the packages are installed by default on Gentoo, but you will need to emerge libpcap, tcpdump, a few of the graphics libraries (png, and one other IIRC), and I still recommend building QT 2.3.2 and building Seq against that instead of 3.0.5 - it just works better. The way I did it was to try to build Seq and just noted what errored out, then install what it was asking for.

Once you figure it all out and let everything build for about 2 days (no joke), you will have a slim, lean, fast, fun-to-use install that will teach you great amounts about Linux. It's worth it.