PDA

View Full Version : Putting it into words.....

Ataal
11-14-2002, 05:12 PM
There have been other threads like the one I'm starting here, but I didn't want mine just becoming a 'top of page 3' type of post.

To start off, I'll give you some background. I work for a large software company in the IT department. I have my MSCE, A+, and have attended countless computer-related training courses all over the country from L.A. to Chicago ranging from W2k active directory courses to Scripting courses to Cisco courses to Unix/Linux courses. I have been in the industry for about 10 years. I don't consider myself to be a 'noob' to the computer world by any means.

There is one thing I know very little about, and that's programming, coding, call it what you will. It's not because I haven't tried, I took 2 years of programming in High School and have read a few books by ORielly. It just doesn't 'click'. I took 3 years of art in school also, still couldn't draw a stick figure to save my life. I can calculate quadratic equations in my head, but don't ask me who painted the melting clocks painting. People have talents in certain areas and lack talent in others.

When I first decided to try out SEQ, I had a lot of fun with it, it felt good that I was able to get it up and running with little to no learning curve.

However, with the recent changes, I feel like such a newb. I've read every single thread regarding the new sniffer programs(some of them twice), I've even tried to compile a few. But, it's way over my head, it's like reading greek.

So, for now, I've got a great map that shows me where I am in it and which direction I'm facing. With the new planes out, I was really, really hoping to study the spawns/pathing so I can be a better asset to the group again. I'm known for keeping my groups out of trouble, well until now. It was also really helping out with the changes that the beastlord class has been going through(my new main).

Anyway, call it a rant, call it a newb whining, but think about this the next time you're about ready to go off on someone.

lane
11-14-2002, 06:07 PM
I think 30-40 people that visit these boards could write a VERY easy how-to to do this including downloading and installing a specific compiler and the code for that compiler. They (including me) just don't want to give it away that easy. To be honest I would not do nearly as good a job as most of them.

I too have been in "the field" a while, but it's been a long time since I had to program anything. Almost as long as it's been since I did much in Unix. Since the pop upgrade I have reconfiged my linux box (an old 486 with 24meg or ram and almost 1 gig of HD between 2 drives) compiled QT (since a friend compiled SEQ with a dif version of QT and it took 5 hours on my puter), got my first CVS and CVS upgrades for seq (takes about 1 hour to compile each time), and modified/complied my new key sniffer.

I have spent more time with this stuff than playing EQ in the last few weeks. If you really concentrate and read the message boards you will be able to get a key sniffer to work. I would sugest using the one that sends the key via UDP (senseheading mod) but you either need to run EQW or make some chanes based on someone else to make it wait till you are at the Char select screen.

The info is out there. You have found the "barrier to entry". Now spend some time, break it down, and get your colored icons. :)

-Lane

Ataal
11-14-2002, 06:41 PM
I appreciate the vote of confidence.

On a side note, instead of using EQW(which I hate with a passion), and instead of using telnet, would this work?

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml

We use this on occasion here at work to start up batch files and whatnot at remote sites. We basically only use it for the people you can't even walk-through showing them how to open explorer.

The feature I like most is being able to run it as the system account. This was key when we had to to do security patches on all our remote sites, since the users don't have admin priveledges.

MisterSpock
11-14-2002, 10:10 PM
That looks like it would probably work. Just make sure it doesn't pop windows open on the remote machine, etc.

LordCrush
11-15-2002, 12:27 AM
You can use remote shell too, works from linux too :) - use it to play spwan-wave on my Win2k-Notebook, cause my Linux-Box is in another room. I use VNC to get the display and you can run multible SEQ-Sessions for more players there :D

Keed
11-15-2002, 06:04 AM
Salvador Dali :D

Ataal
11-15-2002, 05:11 PM
I can't test it for real until I get home, but I compiled hoihoi's sniffer and did a test at work.

psexec \\hostname -u domain\username c:\filename.exe

That will not pop up a window unless you use the -i(interactive) flag. Omitting the '-p password' will make a prompt that you will be able to type in your password without it being seen by anyone.

I had to specify my username for some reason, it states in it's help menu that if you omit a user, it will assume you are running it as the user logged logged in on the remote PC. However, it is unable to connect for some reason and it actually locked my NT account out after the 3 tries. Sigh, it's always embarrassing to have to have a coworker unlock your account. This may work differently in a home network(workgroup) environment, I will try this at home when I get off of work.

I'm posting this as an alternative to using EQW or telnet. Some people may not understand the whole telnet thing and it feels good to be somewhat of a contributor here.

Tyro
11-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Pstools is awesome. Great for restarting services and setting time on remote computers, without the wait of srvmgr and Remote Control. And it does so without a window popping up on the remote pc.

I had to specify my username for some reason, it states in it's help menu that if you omit a user, it will assume you are running it as the user logged logged in on the remote PC.
From the command line help ...

If you omit a user name the process will run in the context of your
account on the remote system, but will not have access to network
resources (because it is impersonating). Specify a valid user name
in the Domain\User syntax if the remote process requires access
to network resources or to run in a different account. Note that
the password is transmitted in clear text to the remote system.
So it uses your credentials, not who is logged on. Dunno if it will run on Linux, but it is definately worth a try, and could maybe even be incorporated to the F12 key.

Great idea. Thanks

maggotboy
11-18-2002, 08:38 PM
Right now, the sniffers are in their infancy, and we don't have the luxuries that SEQ has in running on another machine. Since we have to live inside the same box as EQ, we have to be sneaky. REALLY sneaky. We have to be polymorphic to avoid pattern matches, and we have to be creative to avoid being detected.

Things will calm down a bit, and pretty soon we'll have some scripts and some simple compilation instructions that'll help people get up and running again.

Maggotboy