PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming patch on 11/19?

RavenCT
11-15-2002, 10:30 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I might stop "sniffing" the key after 11/19 for a while...

I assume (if it's the executable that get's patched) that not only will the offset change, but anti-key sniff code might be put in place...

Time to wait for the RE gurus to see if SoE is actually going to start doing this (after the patch) :eek:

Dedpoet
11-15-2002, 01:16 PM
That is my plan as well.

MisterSpock
11-15-2002, 03:47 PM
Probably not a bad strategy.

I, for one, am going to take a long hard look at the new code before launching a keysniffer after the patch. I believe that the presence of any such 'detecting' code will be noticeable when the client is examined.

Just to be prepared, I've been watching the evolution of the new executable on Test...

LordCrush
11-15-2002, 06:20 PM
perhaps we should put crc-check into the Keysniff launcher - which compares the eqgame.exe and other dlls aginst a known value - if no match no sniffer is launched - ...

Lestat
11-19-2002, 10:21 PM
I dont know about you guys, but I have my sniffer launched remotley and in real time process priority...unless they have some sort of polling memory scan process in the next eqgame.exe (which would slow the game down dramatically), im farily certain that anyone that wrote their sniffer from scratch will be fairly safe. Just dont use sniffers that stay resident in memory for more than a few cpu cycles (or compile the source from the forums). I'd bet alot of money that the next few patches will have the source from these forums included in a scan so if compiled versions of these scanners are found an alarm will sound somewhere.