PDA

View Full Version : Move Packet Questions

Raistlin
11-15-2002, 05:40 PM
Ok, i've not looked at this packet structures for SEQ so this could be a strange question, but...

When in GPS mode, if I click and CON a mob (right click or c key) that will show the mob on my SEQ installation...

It will then track this mob all over the bloody zone. Now this tells me a few things.

1) The move packets are un-encrypted (otherwise it wouldn't show movement)
2) There are identifiers in the move packet to differentiate one mob from another mob...otherwise one move packet would move EVERY conned mob in the zone...or would move the wrong mob..depending on how it was coded...but it doesn't, only the moving mob moves with the move packets.
3) Since mobs move even when "off screen" then move packets for mobs even not in visual contact are still sent to the zone...In fact I would expect that move packets for EVERY MOB in the zone are sent to the client.

Call me stupid (and i'm sure some of you will) why the heck can't we capture the move packets comming in and "interpret" where the mobs are in the zone by what's in the move packets? There has to be SOMETHING in the move packet that would denote a starting possition. You couldn't simply say "mob x, move rate 4, direction NE" could you? Wouldn't you ahve to say "starting here, move rate 4, NE, Mob X?" Wouldn't a start possiton for the mobs explain the warping effect we see with the mobs? There'd have to be something in those move packets that said "Mob X should be HERE at this point and moving in this direction." Otherwise you'd be attacking a visual mob at possition X when it's actually at X+5 feet to the left of you according to the server.

Considering dropped packets and such I would think that would be the only safe way to do it would be to give corrdinate and then direction...and if so why don't we just interpret the coordinates and possition the mobs on the screen...it might not be all of them, and it woudln't show what they were, but at LEAST you could see the MOVING mobs (and maybe the spawned mobs) and be able to dodge those...then if there was a way to load a list of static spawns with the zone file (maybe in a different color) produced by another EQ session (or even the same EQ session, any conned mob that doesn't get a move packet would be considered a static spawn and could be registered), then you'd have ALMOST full Map functionality back into SEQ passively.

I guess there's missing info in the move packets that disallows this, but i'd like to know what the problem with this would be?

--Raistlin

high_jeeves
11-15-2002, 05:49 PM
Call me stupid (and i'm sure some of you will) why the heck can't we capture the move packets comming in and "interpret" where the mobs are in the zone by what's in the move packets?

Umm.. what exactly do you think "enable unknown spawns" does? The move packets have an mob ID, direction, velocity in them. They are not encrypted. Spawns that dont move, dont send movement packets, thats why they dont show up when you enable unknown spawns.

I know everyone assumes that the ShowEQ dev's cant come up with EXTREMELY SIMPLE solutions like this by themselves, but trust me it has been thought of. I would strongly recommend that before people suggest their "brilliant" ideas, they take a look at how the system currently works, so they atleast know what they are talking about before they post.

--Jeeves

Raistlin
11-15-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by high_jeeves

Umm.. what exactly do you think "enable unknown spawns" does? The move packets have an mob ID, direction, velocity in them. They are not encrypted. Spawns that dont move, dont send movement packets, thats why they dont show up when you enable unknown spawns.

I know everyone assumes that the ShowEQ dev's cant come up with EXTREMELY SIMPLE solutions like this by themselves, but trust me it has been thought of. I would strongly recommend that before people suggest their "brilliant" ideas, they take a look at how the system currently works, so they atleast know what they are talking about before they post.

--Jeeves

*SIGH*

1) I just found my answer on another post, was comming back here to delete this one when I find this post. *sigh*

2) My install does NOT show those by default, even WITH Show Unknown Spawns turned on...it's because I've not right clicked the map and told it to display the spawns...therefor I assumed BECAUSE MY INSTALL DIDN'T WORK THAT WAY that there was something causing this to NOT BE POSSIBLE...please READ my previous post and note that I did not say "Duh, do this" I asked "What is causeing this to NOT be viable?"

Obviously the maintainers and coders of this excelent piece of software would have thought of this...

Sometimes a question is really a question, not a suggestion.

--Raistlin

LordCrush
11-15-2002, 06:13 PM
My SEQ - last version before haloween - did not show unknown spawns too ... the actual one does ...

casey
11-16-2002, 09:32 AM
2) My install does NOT show those by default, even WITH Show Unknown Spawns turned on...it's because I've not right clicked the map and told it to display the spawns...therefor I assumed BECAUSE MY INSTALL DIDN'T WORK THAT WAY that there was something causing this to NOT BE POSSIBLE...please READ my previous post and note that I did not say "Duh, do this" I asked "What is causeing this to NOT be viable?"

no need for all the yelling.

and please, dont confuse "BECAUSE MY INSTALL DIDN'T WORK THAT WAY" with "I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THE PROGRAM I JUST COMPILED WORKS". And similarly, "causing this to NOT BE POSSIBLE" is often a symptom of not having RTFM, which by the way is the answer to your question "What is causeing this to NOT be viable?".

thanks.

eqhtw
11-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Well casey, jeeves usually brings out those kinds of reactions in people, with is own very "brilliant" observations, liking to look all 3733t and like he's been the moving force behind showeq, knows all there is to know, and that his little "contributing member" icon makes him a big boy. I'm quite sure he enjoys thinking he can get a rise out of people, and eventually insult you into silence.

You learn to quickly scan the left column, and if you see his name there, you simply skip right past the post.

Ten year olds with an inferiority complex seldom have anything of value to add anyway, so skipping over jeeves drivel is of little loss to the general populace here.

-htw

high_jeeves
11-16-2002, 02:47 PM
Sigh.. blah blah blah.. i have decided that i am now going to turn into one of those people i always flame. Every day, I am going to create a new user name, and post a couple of bullet points about how a feature, that is already in ShowEQ, should be included into ShowEQ. I'm not going to bother looking at how it works, or searching, or asking a question. Just rather assume that this 2+ year old project couldnt possibly do this, because I am way to smart for anyone else to have possibly thought of my idea (more or less posted about it once a week).

Then, when somebody comes along and says "uh... thats already in there", i am going to freak out at them for being an asshole.

I know! I'm going to write a letter to microsft, suggesting that they add a feature to MS Word that allows me to change the font... When I get a letter back saying that perhaps is already does, I am going to send then nasty emails about how the toolbar wasnt enabled on MY computer, so they have no right to tell me it is already there. It is clearly all THEIR fault that I cant read the manual, or look through the menus.

--Jeeves

who_me_use_seq
11-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Hmmmm. Lets see EQHTW has a total of 9 posts. So he must be the authority on the subject. After all Jeeves has only posted 900 and some odd. Yep for sure Jeeves must be a rank n00b trolling the board just to grief some hard working poster.