PDA

View Full Version : Permission Denied After CVS Update???

Hobo
11-17-2002, 08:24 PM
Well I've got a couple p[roblems I'm hoping to get some help with, or at least pointed in the right directions. Since I had a few hours tonight I thought I'd try to learn a bit about these sniffers and get one up and running so SEQ worked fully for me again.

So I did a CVS update, carefully following the install guide in the readme files. But when in the root directory when I went to start showeq by typiing the word "showeq", I get a message that says "Permission denied". I've never had this problem before so I'm not quite sure what has changed. I did an extensive search here and although I found a few threads dealing with the words "permission denied", I found nothing to help me correct this problem. Any suggestions?

Now problem #2 - Thinking it might help I rebooted my RH box and now after start up it automatically goes to a terminal window and says:

localhost login:

If I log in as "root" and enter my password it says "You have mail". wtf??? :)

So I kinda have 2 problems here. One, how do I get it back to where it will load up Gnome on boot? Used to be that I would log in as root in the gnome environment, but now it's purely test in a terminal window. Second, what does this "You have mail" thing mean? I never set up any e-mail on the RH box as I use it only for SEQ.

So to summaraize, three questions:

1. How do I get showeq to run again while I keep getting this "permission denied" message?

2. How do I get it to boot into a graphical mode (Gnome) again?

3. WTF is this "You have Mail" thing?

Thanks in advance!

Hobo

Additional INfo - I just realized when I type "Showeq" while in root, it now says....

bash: /usr/local/bin/showew: Permission denied

A little different than before but basically the same message.

Hobo
11-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Well still searching for a fix and I found this:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=777&highlight=denied

Which makes me think I need to change permissions (doh!) but if that's the case, HOW do I change permissions. Tried using the command "permissions --halp" to see a help file but got a message saying "permissions: command not found".

So I'm still stuck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hobo

Hobo
11-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Well the more I search the more I find but I still haven't fixed either problem. Seems I have a video card issue of some sort so I have ran Xconfigurator several times and when it "tests" my new configuration it seems to work fine. but if I try to startx it just loops me back to the console mode. On boot up it appears to be trying to go into the GUI mode several times but it doesn't take hold for some reason.

Guess maybe I'll just reinstall RH 7.3 from scratch. /sigh

Dedpoet
11-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Well, I'm no expert with X configuration but I will say this. If you are thinking about a total reinstall, you may want to take a look at RH 8 now. It already has everything you need to go right out of the box. I still recommend downloading and compiling QT 2.3.2 though, and build Seq against that...it works so much better than 3.0.5.