PDA

View Full Version : Iso (Image) File Question

Hobo
11-18-2002, 12:01 PM
Sort of off topic but closely related to SEQ.

I've downloaded RH 7.3 at work using three iso files and burning them onto CD's. The burner I have is a little old so it did not automatically convert the iso files into usable data files. Basically it just burned them straight across so now I have three CD's, each with a 637 MB iso file on them. I've also made a bootable 3.5 diskette.

Can I use these cd's with the iso files to install RH or do I need to convert them to regular data files before I try to install? In other words can I pop my boot disk in, start the install process and then just use these cd's with iso files to install RH?

Sorry if this seems ignorant. I did some searching and found that other burning software (such as Nero) will coinvert the iso files automatically but my HP software (MyCD) won't do this. I'm not sure where else to turn to convert them as I don't have Admin privledges at work so I can't install my own software. :(

Thanks!

Hobo

high_jeeves
11-18-2002, 12:17 PM
No, it wont use these... it also has nothing to do with the burner, it has to do with the software. If you dont have software that will burn from image, then its a no-go... Nero is good, its what i use.

--Jeeves

Hobo
11-18-2002, 01:12 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the answer so quickly. :)

BlueAdept
11-18-2002, 01:21 PM
WinISO will convert images to almost any format. That might help you. Just do a search on lycos or google for it.

Circles
11-19-2002, 01:22 AM
I use nero 5. on the file menu is an option to burn images...

Tyro
11-19-2002, 05:46 AM
Copy the ISO's to the hdd. Boot from the floppy and install Linux. However, you might be able to specify the cdrom as the drive containing the ISO's. But, you can install Linux directly from ISO's without converting them.