PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love the users of this site.

high_jeeves
11-23-2002, 12:16 PM
I generally dont post the contents of any PM somebody sends to me, but this one was pretty amazing. After I told Burnereq not to post about warez in this thread:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2503

I get this PM from him.

You know what. You have to be the most negative motherfucker i have ever met. You act like you know everything. Sounds to me like Little DIck disease. Why dont you stay the fuck out of other peoples post who didnt ask for you lame ass, fucking know-it-all,
deranged, closed minded attitude.

Just my 2cents.

I'm dying to know how my attitude about not stealing software that lots of programmers spent lots of time writing is a closed minded attitute.

This is exactly why i have a problem with this project becoming too easy to use. This is the kind of people we attract now, those that flame for being told that STEALING is a bad thing, they only do it in PMs, AND they cant manage to do it without cussing constantly. Ahh.. to be 13 again.

I would suggest to Ratt, that we put some additional effort into cleaning people like this off these boards.

--Jeeves

throx
11-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Stealing software is wrong. If you don't want to pay someone the price they put on their time and effort then you don't get to use the software.

In exactly the same way, getting music, movies and other copyrighted works over Kazaa is wrong.

Really though, when it comes down to it, using ShowEQ is wrong as well so there's a double standard you have there. ;-)

high_jeeves
11-23-2002, 10:52 PM
Actually there is a clear difference between a "moral wrong" and a "legal wrong." Stealing is illegal. Using ShowEQ is not. There is a huge difference here.

--Jeeves

nok
11-24-2002, 01:51 AM
Even if ShowEQ and software piracy are both equally 'wrong' this is definately not the place to discuss piracy. It's sad that someone so intellectually void as to not realize that is able to use ShowEQ. Those are the people that are supposed to be driven away by the learning curve!

who_me_use_seq
11-24-2002, 10:12 AM
What concerns me about this person's post and thousands of others like them is that there is, aparently, no longer any shred of creativity left in the language of our people. The profanity and vulgarity which used to be able to be sprinkled sparingly through a diatribe to add a certain shock....a dramatic intake of breath, have been so overused that they no longer even register as words. The concept of an insult is lost on these people. They cannot craft a comment that is able to wound.

His foul mouthed guttersnipe reply to Jeeves reasonable request is typical of a rather dull 13 year old. The sad part is that, given the demographic of the game, he is probably a college student. And even sadder is that I have seen this exact same reply in game and on boards hundreds if not thousands of times.

MisterSpock
11-24-2002, 10:37 AM
Bravo, who_me, bravo!

I'm glad to see someone else still has a passion for the English language and how it can be used, not to mention an appreciation for a well-crafted insult!

Any more, it seems that even if the slightest mention of writing quality, spelling, or grammar comes up as part of a thread, those who mention it are immediately struck down as "grammar police." After being thusly accused a few times, I have ceased such postings. Instead, I generally ignore the poster and the entire thread. This is especially true when the thread inevitably spirals down into a series of anglo-saxon monosyllabic words. In an argument of words, the first "oh yeah?" (or its less elegant alternatives) loses.

Those who feel that language is unimportant, spelling irrelevant, a blather of profanity acceptable, and vocabulary meaningless; know this:

When one looks for a job, beyond those that involve, "would you like fries with that?", all of the above really do matter.

In real life, so to speak, I am in a position to hire technical employees. I can find dozens of people competent in the technical areas. I hire those that can communicate both verbally and in writing. It really does matter.

Oid
11-24-2002, 11:59 AM
Actually I pin this guy at around 15. Language seems slightly to mature for 13 (!?).

Regardless it's a dumb punk kid who needs some guidance from mommy and daddy as to what he can and can't do on the internet.

JustACoder
11-24-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by high_jeeves

I'm dying to know how my attitude about not stealing software that lots of programmers spent lots of time writing is a closed minded attitute.

This is exactly why i have a problem with this project becoming too easy to use. This is the kind of people we attract now, those that flame for being told that STEALING is a bad thing, they only do it in PMs, AND they cant manage to do it without cussing constantly. Ahh.. to be 13 again.

I would suggest to Ratt, that we put some additional effort into cleaning people like this off these boards.

--Jeeves

Well to be honest with you, non programmers do not respect programmers, they don't know the hard work and comittmint (check spelling) it takes to do this. They think that it's there it was easy, i'm no coder trust me but I do buy my stuff, I bought a VS C++ .net student eddition for 75$ on-line.

that or they are use to the linux world

EDIT*****

And on a further note don't let him bother you. Lets take a look here...

Burnereq
Blackburrow Gnoll

hasn't even contributed, probably one of those leech people waiting for mommy/daddy to give them a kick in the ass

The Sage
11-24-2002, 08:41 PM
Well...My first post here, and this seemed an appropriate enough place for it.

As far as the degenerate in question, I think jeev's singature says it all. Some people dont' grasp the concept of right/wrong in any sense. Or they just don't know enough to care. Either way, are these people really worth this much energy. Of course, having said that, and taking into account the fact that I decided to finally register on these boards to post to this thread (amongst others) one might say that I have just contradicted myself.

*sigh*

Oh well. And the language bit? "Vulgar" words have been used rather excessively for some time. If you time them right they still have the right effect, but they are just simply words after-all.

Stealing=Wrong
Using SEQ=A different kind of wrong, and maybe even right depending on your point of view. But then, reality is perception after all.

Projenoski
11-24-2002, 10:30 PM
I am not posting here to sit on a high horse and accuse anyone of being right or wrong in this or any instance. My opinions on the matter are simple. I think stealing is wrong. Does this mean I haven't in the past, or won't again in the future commit this wrong? Certainly not, in the former, and I can't say for certain, in the latter. I'm willing to bet that most (not all mind you, I would never make a statement THAT sweeping) here have, at one point or another, done the same.

All that put aside, what I really came to ask is, is this: Is this forum really the correct place to discuss this? I believe High_Jeeves' original purpose was to point out his immaturity and stupidity, and thus suggest to Ratt that people like this not benefit from our community. Not to point a finger and say "Bad boy! Stealing is BAD!" So I'd like to voice my agreement on the subject. While I am a relatively new member of the community, and don't actually have SEQ running (still setting up a Linux box. Going slowly due to $ issues) I personally would prefer to benefit from a board free of taint by people who should by all rights be below the "SEQ learning curve."

And on a final note, I would like to take slight exception in JustACoder's comment. Just because a person is new to the board, does not mean they have nothing to contribute. If I misinterpereted what you said, I apologize. But please don't discount someone based on the number of posts they have made. Quality, not quanitity, my friend.

maggotboy
11-25-2002, 12:25 AM
I think my V1 sniffer code was my 4th or 5th post to the board :)

lane
11-25-2002, 01:10 PM
And just where were you before that maggotboy? Didn't want to help out before eh?

Just kidding. If only I could contribute is some way other than levity.

-Lane

cheese_poker
11-25-2002, 05:25 PM
I could post my tweaks to SEQ, but I dont think everyone would appreciate their nice program crashing every 5 minutes. he he.

Resiliant
11-26-2002, 02:27 AM
I have but one thing to contribute:

I believe it was Sir Winston Churchill who said:

"Profanity is the resort of the feeble mind."

Quad Erat Demonstratum