PDA

View Full Version : Redhat 7.1 Installation help

Devestator
11-24-2002, 05:08 PM
Hello I dont know if yall can or will help me with this but I'm trying to install showeq on a redhat 7.1 system.

Everything works fine till ./configure where I get a error with the libpcap package. It says cannot find pcap_open_live in libpcap.

I've looked for an updated version of libpcap and cannot find one that will install on my system. tcpdump.org is apparently offline. When I try to install the one from rpmfind.net I get dependency errors saying the version I have is newer and it wont let me overwrite it. Just says teh package failed to install.

Any ideas on what might be the problem and how I can correct it?

Thanks

Dedpoet
11-24-2002, 05:15 PM
I know this is not what you want to hear, but using 7.2 is better, and 8.0 is even better yet. On both it will run virtually out of the box. Try searching on "7.1" as I recall some threads on it a few months ago. You're not going to get much more help than that, unfortunately, as most of the libraries that Seq needs are in version 7.2 and later.

Devestator
11-24-2002, 05:20 PM
Hehe I was kind of figuring that might be the case. I've started downloading 8.0 .. but it took me 14 hours just to get the first iso.. /sigh.

While I have your attention, will I be able to install 8.0 straight from the ISOs or do I have to burn them to a cd? Reason I'm asking is because I downloaded the first ISO on this comp wich is running Linux and dont have a CD Burner in it =P. If I must burn to a CD I'll have to try and see if its possible for me to move the file to my Win XP system on the network.

Cryonic
11-24-2002, 09:55 PM
Spend $30 and buy the boxed version of RH at your local computer store (compusa, bestbuy, Fry's Electronics, etc...).

Mr. Suspicious
11-25-2002, 05:52 AM
will I be able to install 8.0 straight from the ISOs or do I have to burn them to a cd?

This is covered in the Red Hat documentation ( http://www.redhat.com )