PDA

View Full Version : Way OT But I Need The Expert Help Found Here

Hobo
11-26-2002, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry for posting something waaaay OT but I need some help and I couldn't think of a better group of people to ask than you.

Is it possible to go into your computer somewhere and find a "copy" of a web page that is several days old? There was a thread on an EZ Board that I read about 4 or 5 days ago. The thread has now been edited and the information replaced. I need to go back in time and see what that information was. Is it possible that it might be cached somewhere on my machine? It has nothing to do with hacking, stealing or anything else malicious. It has to do with the integrity of a real life friend who is now being slandered.

I run two machines. One is Win2k and the other is Win98. Both using IE.

Thanks for your help,

Hobo

Cryonic
11-26-2002, 10:25 AM
If you hadn't gone back to the thread, then the cache would still have it. But since you have gone back, the cache should have been updated with the new version of the page.

Win2k IE Cache:
c:\documents and settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Win98 IE Cache:
c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files

SeqTester
11-26-2002, 10:31 AM
one of the search engines had/has a "Cached site" search that lets you look at old sites that are down, Google I think. But unless there has been some leap in the time travel technology I think your answer is NO.

Unless there is a pc you visited that post on that has not been back to that page since, then you can try going offline and try to access the page from your history. But most likely the furom uses a DB that would require your browser to pull post down and still you wouldnt get the post.

Sorry I think you SOL.....

PS: NO you cant use my TimeMachine.

BlueAdept
11-26-2002, 10:33 AM
Try google. As long as google has found the site, there is a link to show the cache page of the site. It is a cache of the page that is usually a week or so old.