PDA

View Full Version : I am sure this is not how to ask this....BUT

PopNFresh
11-29-2002, 01:24 PM
I am totally new to SHOWEQ, but the maps and not getting lost again is enough that I have contributed to this project. Now to my problem.

I installed RedHat Linux 8.0 without problems. I downloaded and compiled SEQ without any problems. I compiled on my windows box the superstealth key sniffer without problems. All the instructions to everything I have done were on the money and easy to follow. SEQ seems to be working fine, except all the mobs show up as unknown with nothing about lvl or even class, etc. Even one of my second characters when I use the other EQ computer doesn't have any useful information. From everything I have read, this doesn't seem like the expected results. I never used SEQ before yesterday, so I don't know exactly what should be displayed.

Now I am getting some information some DROP information does this mean I am getting something I should when SEQ is given a proper decode key? I am assuming that SEQ is not getting the decode key properly, but don't know how to determine why it isn't. The DLL for the sniffer seems to be working properly (at least it loads and waits for eqgame.exe and after I start EQ is is gone).

My frustration is partly because I don't know exactly what I should expect, but from all I have read, I expected to see mob and NPC names as well as other players in the zone.

Flame me if you must, but at least point me in a direction, I am hoping this is something simple stupid that I have failed to do.

Thanks in advance.

PopNFresh

high_jeeves
11-29-2002, 04:28 PM
READ THE FORUMS. Atleast the announcements board for christs sake.

--Jeeves

PopNFresh
11-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by high_jeeves
READ THE FORUMS. Atleast the announcements board for christs sake.

--Jeeves

I did read the forums. I resent the fact that you say I didn't. You must not have even taken the time to read my post. Exactly what part of my post DIDN'T you understand or are you simply just a jerk attempting to classify everyone that has not used this tool as long as someone that couldn't possibly be as bright as you.

I have read, searched and read some more. I am not stupid nor am I lazy. You are the lazy one that didn't bother to read my post, but just posted a shitty, snotty reply. I am sorry, but I think you just wanted to act like a jerk and that is exactly what you did. I hope you go back and read my post, hell what can it hurt to read it before you jump down my throat. If you think my question has been answered in the announcements you must be reading a different board than I am.

I hope someone takes pitty on this poor dumb slob and at least reads my post, I don't think this guy will.

:mad:

high_jeeves
11-29-2002, 09:19 PM
ROFL! You read? Did you read any of the posts in the Keysniffer forum? Or the announcements forum? They explain exactly how to use the keysniffers (keysniffers forum) and how to input the key into ShowEQ (the announcements fourm). You dont even mention which of the 15 key sniffers you are using. What you are using for your offset, etc... ALL of the necessary info is found here.

If you think my question has been answered in the announcements you must be reading a different board than I am.

Perhaps I am. Does your page say SEQ at the top? Mine does, and it has the answers on the various ways to input a key.

Hundreds if not thousands of people have it working based on nothing other than the information on these forums... The info is here, nobody is going to come along and feed it to you.

--Jeeves

nok
11-29-2002, 10:15 PM
use port 10000. If you use a different port you may have to zone before it works.

Use "tcpdump -i eth0 port 10000" on your linux box to see if its getting the key packet (a line of text will appear when it sees the packet). replace eth0 with your internet interface and 10000 with your specified port.

Use a more simple keysniffer that will display the key and run eqw and put the key in manually.

All of these tips have been said before by myself and others many times, but something tells me that you cannot read. I hope that I can help with your problem, but I also wish that you would read before making yourself look stupid next time.

PopNFresh
11-30-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by nok
use port 10000. If you use a different port you may have to zone before it works.

Use "tcpdump -i eth0 port 10000" on your linux box to see if its getting the key packet (a line of text will appear when it sees the packet). replace eth0 with your internet interface and 10000 with your specified port.

Use a more simple keysniffer that will display the key and run eqw and put the key in manually.

All of these tips have been said before by myself and others many times, but something tells me that you cannot read. I hope that I can help with your problem, but I also wish that you would read before making yourself look stupid next time.

Thank you for the information. I do appreciate your help. When I ran the tcpdump it returned: "FROM > TO : UPD 8" each time I zoned. I am assuming this should be a value other than 8 each time. Therefore, I will try your other suggestion of a simpler keysniffer. Thanks again.

I appologize for not finding this in other posts, I guess maybe everything was running together and I missed it. I thought I did a good job of attempting to find such information (and I did find a lot), but if you posted it before, I missed it. Again I appreciate your help. I am not stupid and don't like to appear so.

PopNFresh.

nok
11-30-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by PopNFresh

When I ran the tcpdump it returned: "FROM > TO : UPD 8" each time I zoned.

This is actually what it should be showing. That means that they key is being sent to the seq box. My guess is that seq is not set to the same port as your sniffer. You DO have the latest CVS and libEQ.a right? right? Please?

datadog
11-30-2002, 04:05 AM
And dont forget to set the port SEQ is listening on using the 'Decoder/Key Port' menu option.

Edit: Typo

PopNFresh
11-30-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by nok

This is actually what it should be showing. That means that they key is being sent to the seq box. My guess is that seq is not set to the same port as your sniffer. You DO have the latest CVS and libEQ.a right? right? Please?

hehehe Yes, I do have the latest libEQ.a and CVS.

Yes, I am setting the same port in me decoder menu option. I have attempted several different ports.

Something very strange happened last night. I ran the test just before going to bed. I left SEQ up and running (also the tcpdump). This morning everything appeared to be decoded, also an additional tcpdump was on that terminal screen. The SEQ box is faster than the computer it is monitoring, so I don't think it was because it took a long time to decode.

This was awesome. I think I am going to love using SEQ when I finally get this glitch fixed. SEQ (decoded) is exactly what I hoped it would be.

Thanks again.

PopNFresh
11-30-2002, 09:25 AM
It works. I am using port 10000 now (I was mostly using 666 before). I tried other port numbers, but 10000 seems to make it work. I used 666 because that is what maggotboy had in his post. I think the reason it didn't decode last night until after I went to bed is because I was in the bazaar (I was not testing there before, but it was where I needed to be last night) and it has so many objects maybe it was just slower to decode, but now it decodes very quickly even in the bazaar. I don't know what triggered the change, but I love this tool.

THANKS SEQ!!!!!!!!

LordCrush
11-30-2002, 11:31 AM
Hmmm Grats - :D,

but i would move it to some random numer 65000>x>10000 - has to be the same on the seq-box and you eq-box

hai_hai
12-01-2002, 04:06 AM
Sorry that your first response had to come from Jeeves. Most of the SEQ people are actually nice, he is just your average troll with no life, who probably has a 8th level Halfling Warrior in the game, and since he cant get anywhere past that level (you have to be a nice person to get groups), he sits here and hits the refresh key looking for someone to pick on.

Keep posting if ya need help. I am sure you will find results from the helpful people in the "Help Forum" (thats the topic here, right Jeeves?).

Regards

PopNFresh
12-01-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by hai_hai
Sorry that your first response had to come from Jeeves. Most of the SEQ people are actually nice, he is just your average troll with no life, who probably has a 8th level Halfling Warrior in the game, and since he cant get anywhere past that level (you have to be a nice person to get groups), he sits here and hits the refresh key looking for someone to pick on.

Keep posting if ya need help. I am sure you will find results from the helpful people in the "Help Forum" (thats the topic here, right Jeeves?).

Regards

Thanks, I did find everyone else very helpful and I got some private messages and mail that agree with you. Since I am new, I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I love SEQ, so I am sure you will be seeing me here some more. I hope that I can actually contribute in the future. I still have plenty to learn about the abilities and possible uses for SEQ.

Thanks again.
Pop

high_jeeves
12-01-2002, 10:23 AM

Wait.. Isnt this the "make 6 posts, all bitching about one person forum"? I would have sworn thats the forum you always posted in...

If other people here want to repeat themselves over and over and over again.. more power to them.. I would rather we had an intelligent community able to solve their own problems (especially since in this case, reading the top 3 threads in each of the relevant forums would have answered the question). But, it seems that you would rather have a community of pricks who ONLY post to complain about other people..

--Jeeves

Mr. Suspicious
12-01-2002, 02:11 PM
Idiots (tm) will be idiots (tm) (even tho they themselves claim not to be) HJ. They're a waste of everyone's time. We all know it.

Proove of this: The EXACT SAME thing this poster (PopNFresh) posts he has troubles with is posted by 3 other idiots (tm) AGAIN 3 times after he made this post.

PopNFresh
12-02-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Suspicious
Idiots (tm) will be idiots (tm) (even tho they themselves claim not to be) HJ. They're a waste of everyone's time. We all know it.

Proove of this: The EXACT SAME thing this poster (PopNFresh) posts he has troubles with is posted by 3 other idiots (tm) AGAIN 3 times after he made this post.

I have to wonder why you bother to read the "HELP" forum. Your only contribution seems to be to belittle. I am sure you are very adept with SEQ and probably contribute in a positive way somewhere, but I didn't find it anywhere in the help forum. Now I admit I didn't read every post you made but enough that your "HELP" was demonstrated profoundly.

It is clear to me that this forum would be better if a few of you just didn't bother to read it at all. Of course, if the only way you can feel good about yourself is to belittle others and attempt to make them less than yourself, it is the perfect forum because the poster has admitted to needing help. Yes, I too can see the same questions being asked over and over, but that is common in most help forums and some people can actually tell people to RTFM without trying to belittle them. Leave the "HELP" to those a little less critical and a lot more helpful and you will both be much happier. In the light of this being a "HELP" forum, I think it makes those who belittle without helping the IDIOTS. Just my .02.

Pop

Logic_Dingo
12-02-2002, 09:11 AM
I think what this all began with was Jeeves wanting you to read the announcement forums and specifically in the forum:
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2372 That specifically said to use a port number higher than 10000 or at least strongly recommends it.

Dont get too down on ol'Jeeves.....He is one smart cookie and if he sees a question in the help forum that is actually a valid and "unsolved" problem, he will nail it down faster than anyone. As myself when working in an enviroment where everyone asks the same questions to the same problems and you have to dish out the same answers day in and day out, It gets VERY frustrating. He also just happens to be the type of guy to not get into a fist fight with. Look at some of the old old stuff in here. Jeeves is "Captain Answerit"....he has just gotten worn down from repetition is all.

"The two most annoying things: Ignorance and Repetition"

Another good way to ask questions is if you see the "type" of reply from a certain forum user on another topic, just give them a private message. Best way to do it. I know, I know, this is the help forum, but it should be called the "itisnthereandineedhelpwithitcauseihavebeenpullingm yhairoutforaweekandneedhelp" forum.

datadog
12-02-2002, 09:36 AM
Reading these boards is intimidating on many levels. Trolls spanking newbies for not reading contributes to this. I understand that this may be done intentionally... I just personally dont agree with it.

I work in IT and know quite a few folks who could very well be valuable contributors to this project, but dont... mainly because they dont want to deal with certain personalities on these boards.

There is a LOT of info in here. Search is your friend, and properly used can usually solve most people's problems.

Unfortunately search is not perfect. For example, it cannot discern between outdated posts that no longer apply to the current implementation. New folks who are not familiar with the project might not understand this.

Imagine what it would be like to come here the first time, not knowing anything about the project and be faced with reading all of these posts. yikes... Not for the faint of heart.. thats for sure. You really cant blame someone for wanting to take the easy way out.

I think encouraging folks to search and read (i.e. dont be lazy) is a good thing.

I can also understand where folks like Mr S, and Jeeves get sick and tired of seeing people ask "stupid" questions. But I dont think it would hurt to refrain from the inslults and name calling either.

I think the nature of the project keeps most non linux types out all together.

If your sick and tired of newbies posting stupid questions.. then take a break from reading the help forum. Just mark it read and press on. Leave them to fend for themselves or let someone else direct them to the FAQ's and guides.

Just my 2cp...