PDA

View Full Version : Showeq not seeing client

NovaUSC
12-05-2002, 05:45 PM
I know I am going to get soooo flamed for this. I am sorry but I cannot figure out anything else to do. Before anyone asks, yes I did read the install Doc (doesn't mean I didn't miss something) and I used the search option. I tried searching for Showeq not seeing client, not seeing IP, not recieving packets, not seeing everquest, not seeing game PC, and several others. Everything it returned was about the keysniffers. Unless I am greatly mistaken, the keysniffer is not my problem.

The situation is as follows

1. I installed Red Hat 8.0
2 I downloaded Showeq 4.3.3 and the latest libEQ.a file.
3 I compiled and ran them using QT 3.0.5 without any errors(except the one that says showeq was not designed for 3.0.5 and that's not technically an error, it's a message)

the problem is, Showeq run without any error messages and says it is listening on the correct ip address but it's not seeing anything. no packets at all. it doesn't even detect the eqclient. All I really want it for is GPS but it's not working. I fell certain I have overlooked something very simple. I can ping the game rig from the Linux box and vice versa. Both have full network/internet access(no firewall on Linux box) Both show having a 100baseT connection(I know that can cause problems if one is 100 and one is 10). It's a simple setup, cable to router to hub to both machines.

Please let me appologize up front for asking this if it is already answered. But I truely am lost at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MisterSpock
12-05-2002, 05:56 PM
Are you sure your hub is really a hub?

This is the most common cause of this problem. You can ping, see the internet, just can't sniff packets... Good chance that instead of a hub, you've got a switch.

Mag@@
12-05-2002, 08:06 PM
I agree - post which router & hub you have. The more information you can provide makes it easier to help out.

NovaUSC
12-06-2002, 09:17 AM
I'm using a Net Gear DS108. I've used it before when I was running re hat 7.2 and an older version of Showeq. I will swap it out though just to check(maybe it went bad).

Mag@@
12-06-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by NovaUSC
I'm using a Net Gear DS108. I've used it before when I was running re hat 7.2 and an older version of Showeq. I will swap it out though just to check(maybe it went bad).

My wife was dusting and pressed in the uplink button on my 8 port - drove me nuts for a few minutes until I figured it out. You may want to check it on yours.

NovaUSC
12-06-2002, 10:21 AM
That was it, the uplink was pressed. I didn't realize it because my router is autosensing and can switch. I hit the button and it started working, thanks.

Mag@@
12-07-2002, 07:47 AM
ROFL - I call the Wife Syndrome - good job!