PDA

View Full Version : Sony stopped showeq

bonkey
12-09-2002, 08:18 AM
according to this article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=528&e=3&cid=528&u=/ap/20021208/ap_on_hi_te/cheating_gamers

"Sony, meanwhile, has managed to stop "ShowEQ," which spies on the "EverQuest" network and lets players see all the monsters and other players on the map — things normally hidden from view. "

Did I miss something? I don't play anymore, but from what I have seen, showeq is still going on.

--Bonkey

shadowcat
12-09-2002, 09:47 AM
That's just bunk. All they did was change the way they were sending the initial zone packet. showEQ now needs a key sniffer running on the EQ Client PC that will transmit the decode key to showEQ.

In actuality, showEQ now decodes faster now that the sniffer is grabbing the key instead of using a brute force method.

It was broken for a little while but not anymore. If you don't use a sniffer, then showEQ works in a modified GPS mode (all the PCs and mobs show up as unknown).

RavenCT
12-09-2002, 09:55 AM
someone should point this guy to the boards here at Sourceforge to show him the error of his ways :)

Or at the very least, send him Ratt's post on why he continues to work on SEQ :)

shadowcat
12-09-2002, 10:17 AM
LOL ... why?

As of late, seq and this forum has drawn too much attention. Why the hell would we want more? One of the things that seq has going for it is it's lack of being "more" mainstream. The more it comes into the public eye, the more the "public" becomes involved.

AlphaBeta
12-09-2002, 11:00 AM
I have to agree with the above post. If they think they have closed seq down let them continue to think that. :D

RavenCT
12-09-2002, 02:35 PM
F1
/Smack Forehead

D'Oh! Now, why didn't I think of that?