PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ and Red Hat 8?

NeedHelp
12-10-2002, 02:26 PM
2 basic questions:

1) Does ShowEQ work with Red Hat 8?

2) If it does anything special I need to know?

Thank you in advance,

NH

Elyon
12-10-2002, 02:41 PM
I did mine right out of the box so to speak. Works fine....

Well, Fine is a relative term. Some zones freeze for a while and then after running for a while, you start getting unknown spawns.

I just re-installed my Linux Box with Redhat 7.2 and SEQ works much better than with Redhat 8.0 . This was after I installed Qt-2.3.2 and recompiled SEQ. Still got the freezing issue.

I would reccommend, if you have at least a DSL connection, to download RedHat 7.2 from a mirror site and install it instead of RedHat 8.0

IMHO

datadog
12-10-2002, 04:08 PM
ohmygoodness...

Several VERY fresh threads on this topic.. specifically relating to QT-3.05 vs QT-2.3.2

Summary... RH8 is distributed with QT-3.05. You will more than likely encouter problems with this. ShowEQ works much better with 2.3.2

Your best bet is to download the qt-2.3.2 source and compile it.. then use that to compile ShowEQ. This will likely save you lots of trouble.

I know some folks claim to be using 3.05 and not having problems, but most who use 3.05 experienced serious performance related issues.

Details can be found by doing a search for qt-2.3.2 ...

INSTALL.newbies has info on how to download and compile qt-2.3.2. When you search you will find a thread detailing my experience with trying to get it compiled on RH8 (hint: its REALLY easy... dont try too hard to make it work.. like I did). yea.. its embarrassing.. cuz I r n00b.. but reading it may save you similar pain.

joojooga
12-11-2002, 01:24 AM
Download it , use the -thread option and go watch a movie. It might be done compiling by the time you get back.

se7en
01-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Hmm, now that SEQ reqiures qt3.0.5 or higher, does this issue still remain I'm using RH8 and noticed incredible CPU usage, even with SEQ requiring 3.0.5+, should I download 3.0.5 and recompile with -thread myself/ even though that wont change the version number/ I can go to 3.1.1 if needed too I suppose... Ideas?

Poncho
01-14-2003, 06:25 PM
I always feel better using self-compiled QT's. RPM's and boxed QT's have been known to have problems, also make sure to use the -thread option and gcc3+. I'm using 7.3 with qt3.1.1 right now and it runs like a champ. The compile kinda stinks to sit through, but the results are fantastic. Follow Mr. Suspicious's new INSTALL.newbies guide and there wont be an issue unless you typed something incorrectly.

Now, back to the MD9.0 and 3.0.5+ QT's, starting to hate Drake.

Gluck friend.

~Poncho