PDA

View Full Version : Sharing my exp to new seq user

Ekin
12-12-2002, 08:57 PM
No matter sniffer can be detect or not . If you do not want to get banned , stop saying what u see on seq in game .

I am surpised by some eq player yesterday. They keep telling me the named was poped , pull it from xxxxxx room please . I am a seq user . It is not difficult for me to know what they are doing . No one in group can track !

OK , enough for my rubbish english . Here my exp from DAoC odineye .

My account was banned because I reported what I see to my group . GM sniffed our chatting and poped and banned me forever.

Poncho
12-13-2002, 12:13 AM
That brought up a good point, and If i may have missed it in some earlier posts, my deepest appologies....

To what extent can our chat be monitored? I would suspect that anything leaving my machine can be fully monitored, but am still curious if this is commonplace for GM's to monitor different modes of chat. Just wondering if GM "X" fully monitors group/guild/say after /petitioning etc....Anyone have any insight on this?

And obviously, anyone being stupid enough (especially non-tracking toons) to tell their group when something pops and where doesnt deserve to use this program. Just asking for trouble....

Poncho

seqmage
12-13-2002, 05:11 AM
I play a mage, so i used to ghetto track with my pet.. this was cool till they nurfed that...
Now to let my guildies know what i "see" i back it up with asking in OOC.. is "soandso up?" if i dont get a reply.. i just wait till i can ask a tracker.. then when i have the OOC or tell in my window from said tracker.. i let the guild know.. convincingly that soandso mob is up.

oh.. and i used before.. "i have a feeling that soandso mob is up." and "spawn time is up for soandso mob"

Dedpoet
12-13-2002, 07:56 AM
I used to code for a Circle based MUD, and like with most mud code bases, we had a "snoop" command. You would just "snoop <player>" and you would see everything he saw in his session. I don't know how Sony does it, but with EQ, I would have made snoop windows. Say you /snoop dedpoet, and you get a window with my name on it showing all my chat text. Then you see me /gsay "hey guys, ShowEQ shows Quillimane up...quick detour."

/tel dedpoet You are being banned from EverQuest for violation of the EULA. Have a nice day.

/ban dedpoet

That's how I would do it anyway. It would be extremely bad etiquette to snoop someone for no reason - we never did it on my MUD unless we suspected something. I would assume they have a similar policy.

Barring that it would be pretty easy to just log all chat (giant log files, but I'm sure they have the disk space). Then at a set time every day, just grep the logs for words like seq, showeq, gm, or whatever else they wanted, write that output to an email, then zip and store the logs. Every day the EQ Police would have a nice email filled with chat lines containing suspicious words, and they could keep an eye on those people.

suseuser7341
12-13-2002, 09:48 AM
First you might be right about the snoop command. Actually it is pretty likely.
However about automatic sniffing chats...I am not a lawyer, but I could guess that some privacy restrictions for telecommunication providers (which every chat system is somehow) may prevent this in general. Though this forum is certainly missing the expertise to discuss that maybe someone can provide a link to a publication of privacy in chat services.

RogueRacer
12-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Back when the guild (forget the name) got banned over using exploits with the Sleeper, it was posted by Sony that they can monitor any chat in the game.

quackrabbit
12-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by suseuser7341
First you might be right about the snoop command. Actually it is pretty likely.
However about automatic sniffing chats...I am not a lawyer, but I could guess that some privacy restrictions for telecommunication providers (which every chat system is somehow) may prevent this in general. Actually, there are no privacy guarantees that protect your communications inside of EQ. They (SoE) are free to capture and analyze anything you say or do while playing their game.

The same goes for this or any other "privately" run message board. There are no "free speach" and/or privacy laws to protect you.

XannDM
12-23-2002, 07:29 AM
Let me start off by saying, I am a Guide on a server, and an avid SEQ user.

Guides cannot read any chat they are not a part of. IN addition to that Guides are not alowed to join chat channles or groups.

The only people who can see that sort of stuff are GM-ADMINS, and they would have to be watching that channel, to see anything.

Yes, they could prob go back and review chat at a later time, but I doubt they would. They are swamped with all the other things that Guides cannot do.